webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
Like Tree142Likes

Old 04/17/2013, 04:19 AM   #241 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

@Palmpixi: Thank you so much, that was heart warming and I mean that
And Pre 2 support is coming. Now that the Touchpad version works better I'm refocusing on Pre 2/3 support again

@Steven: Thanks. And I'm sorry to hear about the BBC website. I'm afraid I can't do much about that because that's most likely a WebKit core issue

@some developer: In what file would I put this?
https://developer.palm.com/distribut...?f=109&t=19790

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 05:23 AM   #242 (permalink)

@vistaus, I wasn't complaining per se, it was just an observation. To be fair, the skysports site works great and very fast :-)
Old 04/18/2013, 01:16 AM   #243 (permalink)

Thanks @Vistaus for the good work.

The pages load a lot faster now.
One of the problems I always had with the stock browser was the "could not load page" error, where you had to enter the url of a webpage two or three times until it could be loaded. I haven't had that problem since I use Isis.

Another problem is still there, even with isis and is probably a general problem of WebOS somehow: after browsing around a bit (or even after idling for a while) I cannot open pages with flash animations or youtube plugins anymore. The page would reload and reload again. I have to reboot the tablet to get rid of this, but the problem comes back after a while...

But again: good work!
Old 04/18/2013, 02:41 AM   #244 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I could not get it with preware , I DL to my PC using google link. then copy to my Touchpad and pre3 and install that way.

I was trying to add link as feed, using above method worked for me on Touchpad

Also install on my pre3, it launches and all buttons work and also prefence page. but browser wont open websites.
you can only enter websites in landscape mode, as in portrait the browser bar is not usable.

would love to see this added to default web browser for pre3 like you done for Touchpad

I get 94/100 for all my browsers on Touchpad.
The Isis en yo app is 305's with the extra share option. If this doesn't have a WebKit included then it is identical except for that.. ?
Matt6077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 04:09 AM   #245 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hmm, I don't have that Flash issue but it's indeed related to webOS itself as I cannot do anything about Flash.

Thanks for the kind words

Old 04/18/2013, 02:18 PM   #246 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Let me ask again : In what file would I put this?

Old 04/18/2013, 04:14 PM   #247 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Let me ask again : In what file would I put this?
Try in index.html in a couple of script tags.

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 04/19/2013, 07:05 AM   #248 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks, but that doesn't make it work unfortanetly

Old 04/21/2013, 03:07 PM   #249 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

So I learned how to apply it from pcworldsoftware himself but it still doesn't work yet. Am tyring to figure it out so stay tuned

In the meantime: I've submitted Isis Web 2.5.0 for the HP Touchpad to Preware now that I have Preware access so it'll probably show up in the next couple of days!

Liked by PalmPixi_User23 likes this.
Old 04/21/2013, 10:35 PM   #250 (permalink)

Quote:
So I learned how to apply it from pcworldsoftware himself but it still doesn't work yet. Am tyring to figure it out so stay tuned

In the meantime: I've submitted Isis Web 2.5.0 for the HP Touchpad to Preware now that I have Preware access so it'll probably show up in the next couple of days!
I hope that you called it something other than Isis...

Old 04/21/2013, 10:50 PM   #251 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Hey, talking about Isis dkirker .....when we will see the real Isis webkit engine on the TouchPad and WebOS phones it's officially release ? I'm so ready to hit any donation buttons for that Isis to be release like NOW

[Sarcasm] Or will it be like the elusive WebOS 3.0.6 HP WebOS update (and every OS update that the WebOS team was lazy to release) that never saw the light of day ?
Old 04/22/2013, 04:37 AM   #252 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I don't see why I need to screw up people's installations again by changing the name. Also, I'm free to choose my own name and this is a nice name IMHO and I already have an idea for some other app with a name from the same origin (Osiris).

Old 04/22/2013, 05:22 AM   #253 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Palm-Pixi, stop calling people you don't know lazy, and go out and learn to program.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Isandunk, Vistaus and Choorp like this.
Old 04/22/2013, 05:53 AM   #254 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't see why I need to screw up people's installations again by changing the name. Also, I'm free to choose my own name and this is a nice name IMHO and I already have an idea for some other app with a name from the same origin (Osiris).
The issue is that "Isis" conflicts with the Isis project. Not to mention, I have already had people ask me about if your version of the UI is the full WebKit version. You aren't screwing up anyone's installation by changing the icon name. You already have the appid set.

Old 04/22/2013, 06:27 AM   #255 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, in that case some people can't read because I have stated for months in the OP that this is not the full WebKit one.

And you should write HP too that they should rename "Web" because GNOME on Linux already used the name "Web" for their web browser before webOS 3.0 was around. And I'm not even talking about the other core apps...
My point being: lots of stuff have similiar names, so does my project. Doesn't take away the effort I'm putting into it and how many people I'm making happy with this. If some people don't care to read the OP where it states what this app is and what not, then that's their fault.

Old 04/22/2013, 08:43 AM   #256 (permalink)

I'm not taking sides!, so I'll try to be as objective as possible:

1.a To me the Isis project is the webbrowser 'Palm' referred to that is based on QTwebkit and that dkirker is working on. This was the first time we were introduced to a webOS browser by said name. No, there is no exclusivity on the name, but the argument that a description (web, the 'name' of the core apps) equals a name (like Isis) is of course flawed. In this case using the same name is cause for confusion, just like naming the browser 'Opera' or 'Firefox' would be cause for confusion.
1.b There are many different names possible while sticking to mythology (several that make actually more sense to a browser-project). It's also possible to use the Egyptian pronunciation (Aset) over the Greek pronunciation (Isis). So the wish to stick with this specific mythology - though to me personally not appealing - is still an option without having conflicting names for two related projects.

2. While there have been some less than flattering posts, I don't think the general consensus is not to put down the work of Vistaus.

3. From his posts, I don't think DKirker has any intention of taking away any efforts you put into this browser. He's just trying to limit confusion (also in the future/for future users). From your statement in the original post it is obvious to me that your intention is not to confuse people; so strictly speaking you agree with him.

Now from my point of view this quite simple: As long as your browser is called Isis, people will associate it with the Isis Project that DKirker is working on (and that was announced first). More importantly, they will judge the application based on that association. By distancing yourself from the Isis Project - and the easiest way to do that is to rename it to something related but different - people will be more open-minded to appreciate at the features you've introduced for what they are. So I would say it's a simple choice: what's more important, your efforts or this specific name?

Just MHO...
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc likes this.
Old 04/22/2013, 08:46 AM   #257 (permalink)

@Vistaus: Maybe you can call it Ices ... because it is cool. And still sounds the same
Old 04/22/2013, 09:01 AM   #258 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Well, in that case some people can't read because I have stated for months in the OP that this is not the full WebKit one.

And you should write HP too that they should rename "Web" because GNOME on Linux already used the name "Web" for their web browser before webOS 3.0 was around. And I'm not even talking about the other core apps...
My point being: lots of stuff have similiar names, so does my project. Doesn't take away the effort I'm putting into it and how many people I'm making happy with this. If some people don't care to read the OP where it states what this app is and what not, then that's their fault.
You have a new application, which is not the full Isis front-end and back-end that Palm/HP announced. Your application has great worth as it is, but it is not the full Isis. Isis was originally defined by Palm/HP at http://isis-project.org/about.html, which clearly states "It's based on a bleeding-edge QtWebKit engine featuring the most recent web standards."

So it seems your choices are clear:

1) Continue to have people question you over why you chose the name Isis for something which is not the full Isis, and deal with any negative impacts on the perception of your app that come as a result of that confusion.

or

2) Rename your app, and live happily ever after accepting the praise of webOS users for a new valuable app, and the help of everyone else to promote it.

Of course you could call the app "Isis" if you want to, there's no trademark on that name. It's purely up to you whether you want to continue to have to be on the defensive about your choice in naming the app, or whether you want to clear the airspace around your app so that everyone can focus on the great new features you are adding rather than the name.

The ball is in your court. Just don't complain later if you make a certain conscious choice now.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 04/22/2013 at 09:16 AM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc and shicky256 like this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 04/22/2013, 09:47 AM   #259 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Misj:

1a LMAO and now you're doing the same. No other browser could be named Firefox or Opera because those names are trademarked so that points is a bit moot.
1b I don't like that name, I like Isis and people know it as Isis now.

My efforts are more important.

@rwhitby:

1 I really don't get why this is such an issue all of a sudden because of one of dkirker's posts. I really don't care about the confusion but now all of a sudden it seems like I do care.

Let me tell you all again: I *DON'T* care about the confusion, I don't care about how people perceive my app because of a similiar name. There are lots of similiar named apps in this world. Don't make it seem like I do care about it because I really don't.
I make this app to both make people happy with an improved web browser and to easier learn Enyo.

And if some people get confused then that's not my fault because I clearly stated in the OP what this app is and what it isn't. If they don't take 30 seconds of their life to read the OP and therefore don't like my app then that's *their* problem and not mine.

Hopefully it's clear from here on and I'm now focusing back on developing Isis Web further, in this case the Pre 2/3 port which is even more legit because HP Isis isn't coming to the Pre 2/3 anytime soon unlike the Touchpad.

Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 04/22/2013, 09:56 AM   #260 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
@Misj:

1a LMAO and now you're doing the same. No other browser could be named Firefox or Opera because those names are trademarked so that points is a bit moot.
1b I don't like that name, I like Isis and people know it as Isis now.

My efforts are more important.

@rwhitby:

1 I really don't get why this is such an issue all of a sudden because of one of dkirker's posts. I really don't care about the confusion but now all of a sudden it seems like I do care.

Let me tell you all again: I *DON'T* care about the confusion, I don't care about how people perceive my app because of a similiar name. There are lots of similiar named apps in this world. Don't make it seem like I do care about it because I really don't.
I make this app to both make people happy with an improved web browser and to easier learn Enyo.

And if some people get confused then that's not my fault because I clearly stated in the OP what this app is and what it isn't. If they don't take 30 seconds of their life to read the OP and therefore don't like my app then that's *their* problem and not mine.

Hopefully it's clear from here on and I'm now focusing back on developing Isis Web further, in this case the Pre 2/3 port which is even more legit because HP Isis isn't coming to the Pre 2/3 anytime soon unlike the Touchpad.
It's clear what your decision is. Not caring about how people perceive your app is an interesting strategy, but of course one that you may validly choose to pursue.

Note that most webOS users seeing this app in the app catalog will never see this thread, so you probably shouldn't expect the confusion to go away. It will be interesting to see how many newly confused people turn up in the comments in the app catalog.

Best of luck with the app.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: dignitary

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0