webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Code hero to app development
Code hero to app development

Old 12/19/2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

We should all buy Code Hero and learn javascript so we can make the apps for webOS ourselves.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

weeeird...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
weeeird...
I have my random days
Old 12/19/2012, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That might be pretty handy to learn unity with, which is something I've been slacking off on in my complete lack of spare time

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
That might be pretty handy to learn unity with, which is something I've been slacking off on in my complete lack of spare time
Agreed, I don't know javascript and don't have coding experience so to learn that in an enjoyable way for 14 buck......why not.
Old 12/20/2012, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Have you tried it out? I'm familiar with Javascript, obviously, but I have only looked at Unity briefly, and that was before I had Javascript experience, and before I was even a pro game developer. I know it works quite differently from Unreal, which is what I'm intimately familiar with .. different enough that I just put it on the backburner indefinitely
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/21/2012, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd love to try a demo of this. Maybe it's like Learn to Program BASIC, a good classic from Interplay before they went bankrupt. LTPB was maybe a little overactive in its multimedia parts ("junior high edition" that acts like it was designed for excitable ten year olds), but hey, I learned my basic syntax from that. And after that I got to have fun sifting through the lesson scripts.

I don't know about Unity. As much as I like .NET, Unity feels like the new Game Maker for 3D. You'll have people learning it, but all they can do is make some junk and try to earn a few bucks. Flash is more respectable in that regard. (BTW, anyone looked at the stuff in XBLIG?)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There's a lot more of a market for skills in the game world if you know Unity versus if you know Flash. Although Flash is particularly important considering the prevalence of Scaleform.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/21/2012, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

All I'm saying is I hope the quality of Unity games is better than Flash games.

(Off topic: Where does a developer draw the line between a good game and a bad one? I know people work hard make games, but what do they think when the end result is less optimal than they planned and random people that play it says the game sucks? Quick buck vs quality product?)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0