webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP webOS should marry Firefox OS
HP webOS should marry Firefox OS
Like Tree20Likes

Old 01/13/2013, 08:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

To me, the most promising area of cooperation between Firefox and WebOS would be in the Linux kernel and drivers for all the hardware, especially the phone-related stuff. If it is similar enough between the two OSes and someone actually does make Firefox phones, that could provide a semi-straightforward way to get WebOS on a new phone without having to reverse-engineer things or call into black-box binary-only modules or whatever.
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 03:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
closest to that is html5 apps but again they still cant do everything required on their own, even then html5 isnt the saving grace over flash many think it is, their both as slow as each other in differing places.

i understand and share your views but tbh companies make more cash having the segregated markets, forcing ppl to repurchase the same apps on new eco-systems, i doubt it will change when it allows for more income.
..and by the way HTML5 apps will be runned from devices with Android, iOS, BB10 and WP.. An os primarly based on HTML5 cannot be a game-changer..
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2013, 02:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if something I'm commenting has been said.

From a technical standpoint, webOS and Firefox OS are like oil and water. Yes, both are liquids, but...

FirefoxOS is, literally, Gecko on top of Linux, while webOS has a much more sophisticated design.

Enyo2 apps can run on FirefoxOS? yes, with some updates in Enyo (Remember FirefoxOS isn't available). That's all: no background services, no system manager calls, no built in database support...

It's all much simpler on FirefoxOS, because it's designed to be (basically) just a browser. You can do some special calls with Javascript, but that's all, because Mozilla wanted exactly that: while possible, firefoxOS apps being a local copy of a mobile website.

I could go into more detail, but basically trying to put together FirefoxOS and webOS isn't feasible without severely hurting at least one of both concepts.
Old 02/03/2013, 03:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamao View Post
..and by the way HTML5 apps will be runned from devices with Android, iOS, BB10 and WP.. An os primarly based on HTML5 cannot be a game-changer..
No. HTML5 is a path, not a goal.

What people tends to miss is the fact that HTML5 is becoming a stronger player each year, and while Apple (what an irony) and Google (another great bit of irony) are pushing strong native apps, the interest for developers is exactly the opposite, and HTML5 is good for users.

Apple hurts HTML5 by closing JIT to 3rd parties (just remember how webapps were the only choice on iPhone's launch) and claiming security issues. Really? Sure it's more secure to visit any undetermined website than using an app Apple has reviewed.

Google is doing it not pushing Chrome as the engine for hybrid apps. Webapps, AFAIK, continue using the same buggy and clunky Android browser we saw before Chrome, while web navigation is done through the more efficient Chrome's implementation of webkit.

HTML5 is good for users because it ensures almost inmediate availability of apps/services everywhere as soon as there is the interest to make it available (call it userbase, call it money, call it whatever).

You can say games. HTML5 isn't ready (yet) for doing some kind of stuff, but it's simply a matter of time (look at 2:25):

That means it can be a game changer? no. But as always, is not what you use, but how you use it. It's not webOS itself who failed, but business decissions. Business decissions that we all know now were wrong.
Old 02/03/2013, 09:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
It's all much simpler on FirefoxOS, because it's designed to be (basically) just a browser. You can do some special calls with Javascript, but that's all, because Mozilla wanted exactly that: while possible, firefoxOS apps being a local copy of a mobile website.
Add a few lines of code and any website essentially becomes a remote Firefox OS application with secure, hardware-level access as if it were an app on your phone. The wonders of Mozilla's WebAPI. webOS does not do this, but could when Mozilla gets WebAPI standardized through the W3C...which will be a few years out.

Quote:
I could go into more detail, but basically trying to put together FirefoxOS and webOS isn't feasible without severely hurting at least one of both concepts.
THIS. THIS. THIS.

And the fact that their core engines are fundamentally incompatible with Firefox using its homegrown Gecko engine, and webOS using Webkit. And there's zero chance of Firefox ever abandoning the very engine that's underpinned Firefox since the beginning; it's representative of their very identity. I'll put it this way: webOS would change their engine before Mozilla would.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 07:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if something I'm commenting has been said.

From a technical standpoint, webOS and Firefox OS are like oil and water. Yes, both are liquids, but...

FirefoxOS is, literally, Gecko on top of Linux, while webOS has a much more sophisticated design.

Enyo2 apps can run on FirefoxOS? yes, with some updates in Enyo (Remember FirefoxOS isn't available). That's all: no background services, no system manager calls, no built in database support...

For what i can understand (i am not an expert) it would technically be a step down for webOS to try to melt itself into Firefox OS but it doesn't sound impossible.
webOS had since its born all features to be a real alternative to iOS and Android but HP have played all cards wrong. The two giants OSes have grown and in the mean time Windows and BlackBerry have found the energy and the ideas to try a come back and while webOS only lives in some ports Firefox OS has prepared two nice developer devices and it seems it will hit some markets pretty soon.
Other platforms are going to join the party (Jolla, Ubuntu, Tizen) but the one which seems to me sharing some fundamental concepts with webOS is the one from the Mozilla Foundation.
Old 02/04/2013, 09:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamao View Post
For what i can understand (i am not an expert) it would technically be a step down for webOS to try to melt itself into Firefox OS but it doesn't sound impossible.
webOS had since its born all features to be a real alternative to iOS and Android but HP have played all cards wrong. The two giants OSes have grown and in the mean time Windows and BlackBerry have found the energy and the ideas to try a come back and while webOS only lives in some ports Firefox OS has prepared two nice developer devices and it seems it will hit some markets pretty soon.
Other platforms are going to join the party (Jolla, Ubuntu, Tizen) but the one which seems to me sharing some fundamental concepts with webOS is the one from the Mozilla Foundation.
But why would anybody want to stripe down webOS to make a Firefox clone? There is no reason to do that, from a technical, economic or user standpoint.

Stripping down webOS will not make appear manufacturers magically, and not that Firefox is in great shape on this: they've partnered with a little spanish Android startup with minimal presence in the market and zero marketing muscle. From a hardware standpoint it's not different of Phoenix releasing a phone with webOS on it.

FirefoxOS is entirely dependant on what Telefonica decides to do with it, as Telefonica is the only strong partner for Mozilla. And Telefonica will shoot and see the raw numbers on the first three months and push it or forget it depending on those numbers. Firefox OS may end in the same exact situation as webOS stands right now. The exact same.

All we need now is to know what Gram is exactly, and what it proposes. I wouldn't discard completely the possibility of seeing some kind of Gram branded hardware, when Open webOS becomes a finished product. They can't design or manufacture it, but they can hire someone to do it, and make it available on small scale. If these spanish guys (they're 11 or 12 people, no more) are doing it, they can too.
Old 02/04/2013, 05:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:

Yes webOS has a more sophisticated design, but none of it is necessary to actually run an app. It is there to add extra features not available using just web technologies. You could literally take an html5 website and plunk it into webOS and it would work. No special api calls at all. Also any website could technically be a webOS app. All you would need to do is add webOS api calls and check that you are running on a webOS device.

HP currently prevents api calls in the browser but If they allowed it would be possible. So firefoxOS and webOS are quite similar
drahgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 06:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Doesn't developing apps through Enyo for the Firefox browser mean that the very same apps will work on Firefox OS too?
Old 06/12/2013, 02:23 AM   #30 (permalink)

It's a very old conversation, i know. Yet i'd like to share some last thoughts with you:

LG now owns the Open webOS Project and Enyo and they've already announced they are going to develop Firefox OS devices;

Enyo it's now compatible and can be used to develop apps for Mozilla's OS;

Qualcomm it's supporting the Boot2Gecko Project/FF OS since day one and John Rubinstein si now sitting on Qualcomm's board;

it's almost sure that after an initial roll out in some pilot countries Firefox OS will make its way into developed ones and it will be found onto higher end devices and tablets.

I'm probably dreaming but i see relations between all these facts and if i was a old webOS developer i'd stilo find more than some good reasons to follow the Firefox OS path. Being also this supported from one of the world biggest no profit tech foundations.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0