webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Phoenix Kickstarter Video
Phoenix Kickstarter Video
Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By brandongoeszoom
  • 2 Post By brandongoeszoom
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  • 3 Post By marcedhk
  • 3 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By Remy X

Old 12/12/2012, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys!

So, this Sunday (December 16, 2012), Phoenix International Communications (PIC) is actually going to be recording their Kickstarter videos! And you can be part of it (if you'd like, of course). Just go to Rittenhouse Square in Philly at 11:30 in the morning. Just look for the camera crew and tell them why you love webOS. Please join us to help webOS rise from the ashes!
Old 12/12/2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cool

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sweet! I love Kickstarter! Excited to see what PIC will have.
Old 12/12/2012, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

11:30 Central, Eastern?
kld2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
Since it is in Philadelphia, it would be safe to assume local time there which is Eastern.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
Sorry. Eastern time lol
Old 12/12/2012, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

About 1000 miles too far away from me but will definitely contribute to the KickStarter campaign. Good luck!
rboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm.. i take it that no one has read page 5 of this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...devices-5.html

Needless to say, my money is safe in my pocket. I'll just sit back and watch this unfold, over a cup of coffee and a cigarette

Have fun guys, i'm just not sure it will end well.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: lephilwld
Old 12/12/2012, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Hmm.. i take it that no one has read page 5 of this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...devices-5.html

Needless to say, my money is safe in my pocket. I'll just sit back and watch this unfold, over a cup of coffee and a cigarette

Have fun guys, i'm just not sure it will end well.
I understand your concern, but let me reassure you that this isn't a call to help us in the campaign. This is just to get involved with the video. People can come, express why they love webOS, and be on their way. No money donated. It's an opportunity to share your favorite things about webOS with others through the video.

Of course, this video won't be posted until the campaign is started. And the campaign won't be started until we have a fully functional prototype to show. Once the campaign is up, then you can decide for yourself if you'd want to contribute or not. Don't count us out just yet
Old 12/12/2012, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongoeszoom View Post
I understand your concern, but let me reassure you that this isn't a call to help us in the campaign. This is just to get involved with the video. People can come, express why they love webOS, and be on their way. No money donated. It's an opportunity to share your favorite things about webOS with others through the video.

Of course, this video won't be posted until the campaign is started. And the campaign won't be started until we have a fully functional prototype to show. Once the campaign is up, then you can decide for yourself if you'd want to contribute or not. Don't count us out just yet
That's cool

There's just some people on here that would buy anything, as long as it says webOS on it... even if it's just an apple tart

Tarta fina de manzana | webos fritos

And as someone who's more of a realist i'm wary of anything that's only selling a dream, but selling it for real money...
I look forward to seeing whatever you guys come up with.
Liked by dignitary and brandongoeszoom like this.
Old 12/13/2012, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
That's cool

There's just some people on here that would buy anything, as long as it says webOS on it... even if it's just an apple tart

Click to view quoted image

Tarta fina de manzana | webos fritos

And as someone who's more of a realist i'm wary of anything that's only selling a dream, but selling it for real money...
I look forward to seeing whatever you guys come up with.
I get what you're saying lol While I don't run Phoenix (although, that'd be pretty sweet), I can promise you that we're going to our best to make this work. At first, mid-range devices will simply be easier and cheaper to get onto the market than an iPhone killer would be. But it won't be a POS phone either. That certainly wouldn't help us or webOS. So now, we wait to see what unfolds. And hopefully, we'll like the outcome.
Old 12/13/2012, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think people should stop being so over skeptical about Phoenix devices. They are still around. That's good.
Let's see what they get on the road... If they manage to attract some new customers to webOS, that's perfect. There is a huge difference between the tech people, like most of us are, and the "normal" people. For the normal people webOS is a good choice, even on a low end phone.
I distributed two Pre+ to some not so techy friends of mine and they are still very happy with that phones.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 03:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
I think people should stop being so over skeptical about Phoenix devices. They are still around. That's good.
Let's see what they get on the road... If they manage to attract some new customers to webOS, that's perfect. There is a huge difference between the tech people, like most of us are, and the "normal" people. For the normal people webOS is a good choice, even on a low end phone.
I distributed two Pre+ to some not so techy friends of mine and they are still very happy with that phones.
Well, i think dignitary has every right to be "over"-skeptical in the other thread. He's got some good facts behind what he's said and i tend to agree with him

I mean hey, there's no comparison between a Pre+, done professionally by Palm, and a device with the same specs running the proposed OS setup. OpenwebOS is based on v.3.5 (which is slightly laggy even on the Touchpad) and at this point, the "community edition" lacks a lot of the polish of a commercial OS. If you then have Android running concurrently on the same device, you get a "POS phone" if i may quote the guy above.

A Pre+, running 1.4 would feel a lot snappier than one running that "concoction", so it's time to stop the talk about low-end hardware. And then, there's quite a bit of Mojo-only apps in the app store that a stock Pre would support, but an open phone at this point can't... Android apps that don't support gestures wouldn't be a 1-for-1 substitute for the native apps lost...
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 07:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah.. that's what I meant. Most things he says are right (although there is a lot of speculation, too, i.e. the "os on top of another os". Who said that they want funding for that? Also AFAIK QtWebkit is in open webOS already).

All he says about Firefox OS and Android and stuff condenses to one point: There won't be an easy market for open webOS. And that's true. I won't argue with that. And it won't change, no matter what you do... There won't be masses of people buying hardware with open webOS installed, no matter what specs the hardware has, no matter what your company is called (appart from maybe Apple)...

I don't really get why people here, no matter what you do, keep telling you that Andriod or iOS or anything will be that much "better". Yes it will. You can't fight that. And even if it wouldn't, people would still buy iPhones and Android devices, just because they don't care for webOS. What can be established, though, is some way for people that do indeed care for webOS get to buy some hardware... And I don't understand why people here seemingly don't want that to happen.... it's not that you have to buy anything from Phoenix devices. I just don't get all the name calling... the other thread is quite a good example... You take some trigger and talk each other into some hate-rage without many informations about what the plan of Phoenix devices really was and act like they wanted to rip off all your money for nothing. I really don't understand where all that hate comes from.

On the hardware/software side there are some misunderstandings, though...
The Pre+ was quite low range hardware on release... it's a Pre- with more RAM. And the Pre-, even though placed as "iPhone Killer" was not on par with advanced Windows Mobile Phones at that time. Neither was the first iPhone at time of its release... that's the sad story. Sometimes the hardware doesn't matter as much as your company's name (or PR).

Nonetheless, the Pre+ is running webOS 2.1 quite well (that's what my friend is working with ). 2.x is very much the same as 3.x, expect for the UI (which is rewritten in Enyo and now get's rewritten again in Enyo 2. Enyo 2 actually runs quite nicely on 2.x phones, apart from bugs in the ancient Webkit engine).
Sure 3.0.5 is laggy (as is 1.4.5 on a Pre- and 2.2.4 on all the other phones). That is why open webOS switched many parts of 3.0.5 against newer more optimized stuff. Especially the newer (and much more optimized) WebKit for LunaSysMgr helps a lot, form my experiments with open webos....
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 07:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
..., the "community edition" lacks a lot of the polish of a commercial OS. ...
Working with a lot of commercial software here, but I have seen beta versions of these commercial software products that can't compete with LunaCE, when it comes to stability and speed.
I don't see your point unless you are generally having an issue with open software vs. commercial one ...

BTW my LunaCE runs stable.
WebOS on the touchpad ran quite fast even before LunaCE (except for the browser). And the audio problem is about the only problem I currently have (which was there before LunaCE).

I would argue to give the Phoenix guys the benefit of the doubt. Let them roll and see where and how far they get.
Old 12/13/2012, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

You know what guys? I'm getting a bit tired of some of the pointless criticism. Right now, webOS has nothing else hardware-wise in the pipeline, unless you think getting it on your TV is something that's going to make a big difference in your life. Phoenix remains open to anyone that has skills and knowledge to contribute, so if someone has an issue with the plans and thinks they have a better approach why not send an email and offer your input there rather than just bashing the group in the forums?

There are guys that have demanding day jobs/full time studying that are sacrificing some of their expensive/precious time to contribute to the Phoenix project, and it really riles me up to see ppl in the community that they're trying to support basically just pee on their hard work for no good reason other than to score a few more likes on their profile and feel superior. If you think it's a pointless exercise, then ignore the project. If you feel you can't trust the group, then don't pledge any money. But don't go around ripping up whatever Phoenix does just because you can - it's petty and counterproductive.

Last edited by marcedhk; 12/13/2012 at 11:24 AM.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by blackfireball5, kataran and Garfonso like this.
Old 12/13/2012, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

No hate

I knew i was going to get misunderstood like this, but that didn't keep me from speaking my mind.

I just feel that there's at least a year to go in terms of making things viable before we can sell a product to the masses. And if we sell something within this community, it's gotta be on good hardware and not a cheap "made for India/Africa" project.

I'm not ripping into the work of the guys who donate their time to help, i actually have several things in the pipeline, so i'm one of those guys myself and i know what it takes. I do however believe in ripping apart unreasonable expectations by some people who think that we can throw today's build on some POS Chinese hardware and have instant success in the third world.

We all have good points, but when those points get reduced to a single word "hate", 99% of the meaning gets lost. We all want the same thing, however we have some different ideas on how to get there, and i'm wary of anyone spending their hard-earned money (not just fans, but Phoenix also) and getting a disappointing result. Business is a tough place to be, it's not all unicorns and butterflies.

Take care guys. Love... and not hate
Liked by dignitary, brandongoeszoom and RumoredNow like this.
Old 12/13/2012, 06:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Also AFAIK QtWebkit is in open webOS already
But it's not ready yet. It's not on par with Blackberry's new browser yet. And that takes work, work takes time and money. I have a lot of respect for dkirker taking on a huge project like that, and my point is, that money donated within our community is finite.

Somebody's idea here of targeting the third world markets and selling a few million units "as-is" is insane, and if that's where money will go, that takes funds away from the developers who are making openwebOS viable and maintaining legacy.

Yes, i'm suspicious of somebody's pipe dreams, because there isn't enough money to go around, for everyone to bathe in. Take it or leave it, this is my point in this whole (heated) discussion

and @Buddy1969,

I should have been more clear. I was talking about ecosystem basics that come with almost every phone being sold, the localization/internationalization stuff, some of the core apps. Nothing against Luna CE, i tried it myself and it's wonderful

I was simply in a hurry to reply, so that i could get some sleep (hurried and sleepy, bad combination ) and what i was thinking was that without Gram's support, without Synergy, without localization, without a good native app store (non-Android stuff), there goes the "polish" of a commercial product, in a commercial sense. I really should have been more clear

P.S. I disagree with anyone that says that i'm just posting this for a couple of "likes". I'm not a politician pandering for votes. If somebody likes my comment, than so be it. If anyone is a machine dispensing "thanks" and "likes" indiscriminately, then it's time for a moderator to speak to them

Last edited by Remy X; 12/13/2012 at 06:36 PM.
Liked by dignitary and brandongoeszoom like this.
Old 12/13/2012, 07:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

In pipeline... What exactly? Webos? Hardware? ... Keep in mind guys this topic is for those looking to meet up at rittenhouse square on Sunday!
Old 12/13/2012, 08:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukny View Post
In pipeline... What exactly? Webos? Hardware? ... Keep in mind guys this topic is for those looking to meet up at rittenhouse square on Sunday!
Software stuff

I'm actually working on the alternative paid app store with RumoredNow and a couple of other people. Some other things are still pre-alpha, like a couple of patches and a debugger app i'm writing for myself to speed up development (i'll make it public)...

..and then porting Google's Search App from the iPad to the Touchpad.

The app store is by far the biggest thing, so you'll hear about it more once the code runs and legal filings will be made. For now, i'm just testing stuff on my own server.

As soon as i get the small stuff out the door, i may well contribute to openwebOS directly. Brandon was pretty interested in getting the language issues straightened out.

Anyway, you guys are a long ways from where i live, so don't count on me showing up, as much as i love webOS. I'm on the west coast, (SoCal)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0