webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Phx Maps
Phx Maps
Like Tree12Likes

Old 12/10/2012, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys! Brandon here.

Today, we over at Phoenix released an alpha version of our Maps app. It's based on the Google Maps API and uses Enyo 2.0. It's open sourced as well, so feel free to test and contribute if you'd like!

Click the link to download the ipk: https://github.com/downloads/phxdevi..._0.0.1_all.ipk

For those of you who are interested, here are some screenshots.

Last edited by brandongoeszoom; 12/10/2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added sceenshots.
brandongoeszoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks Brandon! Any screenshots available?

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Thanks Brandon! Any screenshots available?
Just took some. Let me get those for you! I'll edit them into the original post.
Old 12/10/2012, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Looking nice! Any word on Latitude integration?
cujoq37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looks Enyo 2, yes? Also, how's responsiveness compared to the other homebrew Google Maps?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Looks Enyo 2, yes? Also, how's responsiveness compared to the other homebrew Google Maps?
The OP did say it was Enyo 2 based.

I also am wondering how it stacks up against 72ka's outstanding effort that gets many, regular updates.

Would I have to uninstall Google Maps for webOS before installing and Beta testing this???
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoq37 View Post
Looking nice! Any word on Latitude integration?
Well, this is an early alpha release, so if so, it won't be until we've gotten the majority of the bugs out. Right now, it isn't meant to be a replacement Maps app, but a work in progress that you can toy around with and send bug reports to us.
Old 12/10/2012, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Compared to other homebrew Maps apps, don't delete them yet lol This isn't nearly as functional as 72ka's Maps app. This is basically the early steps, so that we can get rid of bugs and add features later on. It is Open Sourced, so the community can also help out by finding bugs, and sending things upstream.
Old 12/10/2012, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
The OP did say it was Enyo 2 based.

I also am wondering how it stacks up against 72ka's outstanding effort that gets many, regular updates.

Would I have to uninstall Google Maps for webOS before installing and Beta testing this???
That, I wouldn't know, simply because I don't have a webOS phone, only the TouchPad (which has HP's Bing Maps now). But since it's a different app ID, I'm assuming you could keep the stock Google Maps app. If I'm wrong, somebody feel free to correct me.
Old 12/10/2012, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Woops... I meant Alpha Test. Got 'er a bit mixed up with the also just announced Memo App that is in Beta.

The Homebrew Google Maps by 72ka does work on TP. Which is where I thought I might try this version. I'll have to think about installing on my next days off...
Old 12/10/2012, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongoeszoom View Post
That, I wouldn't know, simply because I don't have a webOS phone, only the TouchPad (which has HP's Bing Maps now). But since it's a different app ID, I'm assuming you could keep the stock Google Maps app. If I'm wrong, somebody feel free to correct me.
I was thinking the same thing, different app ID, should be no conflicts with other maps apps.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I was wondering about shared Icon name conflict... Didn't see an Icon on the screenshots. The ipk is Phx Maps, wasn't sure how the launch button looks. Guess if it is called Phx Maps there as well then there would be no problem.

Somehow I thought it might come up as Google Maps for the launcher Icon. But why credit Google, right???
Old 12/10/2012, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I was wondering about shared Icon name conflict... Didn't see an Icon on the screenshots. The ipk is Phx Maps, wasn't sure how the launch button looks. Guess if it is called Phx Maps there as well then there would be no problem.

Somehow I thought it might come up as Google Maps for the launcher Icon. But why credit Google, right???
Well, here's a screenshot of my four Maps apps (HP's Maps, 72ka's Google and Here Maps, and Phoenix's Phx Maps). It's ever so slightly different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg browser_2012-10-12_133034.jpg (81.9 KB, 96 views) Email Attachment
Old 12/10/2012, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I was wondering about shared Icon name conflict...
Wait is that a real thing? Seriously never heard of it...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 03:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Wait is that a real thing? Seriously never heard of it...
Could possibly happen. I made a copy of the Web app to do development on, and it never showed up. Of course, I didn't put supporting data in cryptofs, so that could be a part of it.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 12/10/2012, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

credits to jan (72ka) for laying the grounds
gizmo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by brandongoeszoom likes this.
Old 12/11/2012, 12:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Good work Brandon,

hope your app makes it up on WebOS Phones too(so needing a maps app for my Pre 2)....so sick of those useless maps from Microsoft, they barely get your location right

Anyways, thumbs up ....wish I had the skill to develop apps like that
Old 12/11/2012, 04:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongoeszoom View Post
Compared to other homebrew Maps apps, don't delete them yet lol This isn't nearly as functional as 72ka's Maps app. This is basically the early steps, so that we can get rid of bugs and add features later on. It is Open Sourced, so the community can also help out by finding bugs, and sending things upstream.
But the responsiveness is way better than 72ka's app. His app is barely usable on my Touchpad due to sluggishness while your app is lightning fast, even in Street View.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 07:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
But the responsiveness is way better than 72ka's app. His app is barely usable on my Touchpad due to sluggishness while your app is lightning fast, even in Street View.
Gotta say my experience is the complete reverse! This seems sluggish and takes ages for the screen to refresh, and it gets my location 15 miles away (when I'm at work in central London).

'Google Maps' from the talented 72ka may take an extra second to start, but the GPS fix is accurate and the refresh once loaded is near instant.

WebOSM maps has the same location flaw as phxmaps, but Mapping Tool (pro) gets it right. Are GPS database co-ordinates wrong for WebOSM and phxmaps?

Last edited by MikeN68; 12/11/2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: added WebOSM
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 09:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I was wondering about shared Icon name conflict...
There is no such thing... as long as the app id's are different and everything is installed as it was meant to be, webOS happily displays multiple icons with exactly the same name next to them in the launcher... the issue here is that the user doesn't know which app is which...

But I tested that accidently... I changed the app id of one of my apps during testing and installed it (with palm-install from the SDK), and after that I had two identical icons in the launcher and both worked (where one launched an older version of the app, obviously).

@PhnxMaps:
I'm not really sure we need yet another map app... but that's just me... if it is working good, just go on. Would like to have more synergy connectors, though...
From what I read this was not really tested on phones, right? But on webOS 3.x it runs? Have you tested with open webOS?
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0