webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Phx Maps
Phx Maps
Like Tree12Likes

Old 12/11/2012, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

just tested on my pre 2... It has problem with the ui resizing and it doesn't move when I touch for whatever reason..
gach87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 12:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I was wondering about shared Icon name conflict...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Wait is that a real thing? Seriously never heard of it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
There is no such thing... as long as the app id's are different and everything is installed as it was meant to be, webOS happily displays multiple icons with exactly the same name next to them in the launcher... the issue here is that the user doesn't know which app is which...

But I tested that accidently... I changed the app id of one of my apps during testing and installed it (with palm-install from the SDK), and after that I had two identical icons in the launcher and both worked (where one launched an older version of the app, obviously).

@PhnxMaps:
I'm not really sure we need yet another map app... but that's just me... if it is working good, just go on. Would like to have more synergy connectors, though...
From what I read this was not really tested on phones, right? But on webOS 3.x it runs? Have you tested with open webOS?
OK cool.

I am the first to admit I'm not yet expert in advanced webOS behaviors.

I just know on PC I can not have two items in the same folder with the same name/extension and one has to get renamed. I imagined it was very similar under webOS and adding two X-Name-App entries into launcher might cause a problem.

I happily stand corrected.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 12:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not really sure we need yet another map app... but that's just me...
The important difference is that Phoenix' map app is written using Enyo 2 which will make it run under Open webOS, too, and also simplify porting to other systems. 72ka's (really great) map app is written in Mojo (AFAIK) which is not supported under Open webOS.
Old 12/11/2012, 12:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
There is no such thing... as long as the app id's are different and everything is installed as it was meant to be, webOS happily displays multiple icons with exactly the same name next to them in the launcher... the issue here is that the user doesn't know which app is which...

But I tested that accidently... I changed the app id of one of my apps during testing and installed it (with palm-install from the SDK), and after that I had two identical icons in the launcher and both worked (where one launched an older version of the app, obviously).

@PhnxMaps:
I'm not really sure we need yet another map app... but that's just me... if it is working good, just go on. Would like to have more synergy connectors, though...
From what I read this was not really tested on phones, right? But on webOS 3.x it runs? Have you tested with open webOS?
good to know!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 01:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
The important difference is that Phoenix' map app is written using Enyo 2 which will make it run under Open webOS, too, and also simplify porting to other systems. 72ka's (really great) map app is written in Mojo (AFAIK) which is not supported under Open webOS.
Plus this app is way smoother (at least for me) than 72ka's app and I like the interface better (not only 'cause of Enyo but as a whole) and the Street View works good in this app.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 02:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gach87 View Post
just tested on my pre 2... It has problem with the ui resizing and it doesn't move when I touch for whatever reason..
I believe you need to have 2.2.4 and the app installed as an app, rather than running it via the browser to get touch events properly. If those conditions were fulfilled, then it's either an app problem, or some other problem in Enyo 2 possibly.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 04:27 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I believe you need to have 2.2.4 and the app installed as an app, rather than running it via the browser to get touch events properly. If those conditions were fulfilled, then it's either an app problem, or some other problem in Enyo 2 possibly.
pre3, 2.2.4 same problems. some buttons are cut off, cannot move map or zoom.
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 05:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
pre3, 2.2.4 same problems. some buttons are cut off, cannot move map or zoom.
aaawww well history repeating, always the same probs with touchevents on webviews on 2.2.x devices. this is what jan is struggling on his maps app for so long and makes him develop workarounds:
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/313394-new-google-maps-webos-native-javascript-api-post3354270.html

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/313290-webosm-map-app-using-openstreetmap-post3364814.html
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 05:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

perhaps phx-crew can patch that webkit inablility in webOS 2.2.x (all other versions before and after seem to work if i understand jan correctly). Should be able for some skilled webOS devs to have the code compare on that touch event issue.

Would be great for the community and you could gain lot of betatesters for phonesized version of your app

btw. jan even tried to get to google, but no answer:
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/313394-new-google-maps-webos-native-javascript-api-post3352651.html
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 11:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
But the responsiveness is way better than 72ka's app. His app is barely usable on my Touchpad due to sluggishness while your app is lightning fast, even in Street View.
Really? On my Touchpad, it's pretty slow. And by pretty, I mean extremely (and I'm overclocked to 1.8 Ghz). It has its good days, but the majority of the time, it lags. Takes long to render after zooming, getting directions, etc. But it's an alpha for a reason. We'll be working on it, improving the usability (i.e. speed and responsiveness) before adding features.
Old 12/12/2012, 11:44 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
Gotta say my experience is the complete reverse! This seems sluggish and takes ages for the screen to refresh, and it gets my location 15 miles away (when I'm at work in central London).

'Google Maps' from the talented 72ka may take an extra second to start, but the GPS fix is accurate and the refresh once loaded is near instant.

WebOSM maps has the same location flaw as phxmaps, but Mapping Tool (pro) gets it right. Are GPS database co-ordinates wrong for WebOSM and phxmaps?
15 miles away is better than mine. I'm in Texas, but Phx Maps is placing me in Sydney... Although that wasn't the case two days ago. It was working perfectly then. I'll have to get that checked out... But no worries, my friend. Like I said, don't get rid of any of your other maps apps just yet. Once we get most of the kinks out and we're ready to upgrade to beta and stable, we'll let y'all know!

Edit: But now after a quick reboot, I'm back at my house lol

Last edited by brandongoeszoom; 12/12/2012 at 11:54 PM.
brandongoeszoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 06:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongoeszoom View Post
Really? On my Touchpad, it's pretty slow. And by pretty, I mean extremely (and I'm overclocked to 1.8 Ghz). It has its good days, but the majority of the time, it lags. Takes long to render after zooming, getting directions, etc. But it's an alpha for a reason. We'll be working on it, improving the usability (i.e. speed and responsiveness) before adding features.
I haven't experienced any lag yet. It's really blazing fast here. Only navigating is really glitchy but everything else is fast and rendering is especially really fast.

Edit: I've tried to film it but my upload speeds are slow (downloading and surfing is really fast though) so I can't show it right now.

Last edited by Vistaus; 12/13/2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12/13/2012, 06:58 AM   #33 (permalink)

its a nice app they however did not test it for the veer, as it seems since the header needs better formatting.
still prefer 72ka's though
krushaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2012, 10:15 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I have 2.2.4 in my pre 2, maybe i need to install the enyo 2 libs or something... any ideas?
gach87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2012, 01:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I have 2.2.4 in my pre 2, maybe i need to install the enyo 2 libs or something... any ideas?
Enyo 2 comes with the app.
Old 12/18/2012, 11:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

Heres what it looks like on pre 3. The issue I have is that I can't move the map view and zoom.
phxmap_2012-18-12_230541.png
Weird yellow highlighting

phxmap_2012-18-12_230554.png
Directions input box overlays the two end buttons

phxmap_2012-18-12_230813.png

You can also pull the enyo "tray" to the middle of the screen

phxmap_2012-18-12_232305.png

Also could not get the street view working but may have been operator error lol.

Love the app so far, looking forward to the finished product.

Last edited by mattmers; 12/18/2012 at 11:29 PM.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 12:25 AM   #37 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

interessted to use SYM-key in ENYO2 on webos phones? Perhaps you can fix that small part to make it compatible with version 2.

[Patch request]enable SYM key in enyo on webOS <3.x
Old 01/07/2013, 02:50 AM   #38 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions, guys! Sadly, I'm not the one who created this app (nor do I have the knowledge as of yet to work on it), but I'll forward this to the dev(s) so they can start fixing up the code. Again, this is an open source app, so feel free to make pull requests and push things upstream if you'd like! Once I have any new information concerning this, I'll update the thread!
Old 07/10/2013, 11:58 PM   #39 (permalink)

I wanted to know if the update that google maps has done for some of the android phones were possible for hombrew. It sounds like that is a needed addition to google maps. Rerouting and zagat would be wonderful.
Frank Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2013, 11:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

What Google does for its own platform won't immediately be available for any other; usually, only iOS ends up getting the changes afterward.

In most cases, the public APIs that independent developers have to rely on never get the updates. So...I wouldn't expect much. Android and iOS have the clear competitive advantage because they're the platforms that get almost every new features while nobody else does.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0