webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > PPL would line up for webOS on a toaster
PPL would line up for webOS on a toaster
  Reply
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By benh
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 2 Post By xandros9

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12/07/2012, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 41
I know it was originally a joke, but it was a very widespread joke at the time.

I reckon that if gram.com really did put it on a toaster first, it would make the news all over the world, and put gram and webOS back on the map.

They'd sell millions with a cool (to touch) touchscreen to choose what type of bread and what color would you like it to be, then look at FB updates, watch a YT clip while your toast cooks, read headlines or monitor your power usage.

Shaped like a river stone of course.
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 645
Lol.. yeah... would be fun... but I think that would really start... unless it is a very big toaster, I wouldn't crouch in front of my toaster to watch anything.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 03:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
I know it was originally a joke, but it was a very widespread joke at the time.

I reckon that if gram.com really did put it on a toaster first, it would make the news all over the world, and put gram and webOS back on the map.

They'd sell millions with a cool (to touch) touchscreen to choose what type of bread and what color would you like it to be, then look at FB updates, watch a YT clip while your toast cooks, read headlines or monitor your power usage.

Shaped like a river stone of course.
and have the screen show an animation of how dark the toast is getting which you can swipe up to "pop" like flicking away a card.
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/07/2012, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,221
Cooling fans for the CPU/GPU battling against the heating coils for the toasting slots...

Doubles as a science lesson for the kids. Warm air vs cool air creating mini thunderstorms and tornadoes right there on your kitchen counter.

__________________
Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 GDR3 Dev Preview
LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Public Release Beta
Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 12/07/2012, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Cooling fans for the CPU/GPU battling against the heating coils for the toasting slots...

Doubles as a science lesson for the kids. Warm air vs cool air creating mini thunderstorms and tornadoes right there on your kitchen counter.

The insulation used could be flammable... Best would be tablet controlled toaster. Or a webOS fridge. I'm getting deja vu...
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
The insulation used could be flammable... Best would be tablet controlled toaster. Or a webOS fridge. I'm getting deja vu...
Of course that would be more sensible, but not as newsworthy. Just about anything can be controlled by a tablet/computer and fridges have been done.

However, in the history of the field of human endeavour ONLY webOS has been proposed to be put on a toaster.
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
xandros9's Avatar
 
Posts: 908
if it had an apple or toastmaster logo only most likely.
people will say it's laggy, resulting in burnt toast because it didn't eject the toast in time.
__________________
HP Think Beyond Event - http://youtu.be/VnjwG7Z8AM8
m500/5 > Z|71 > T|C > Z|71 > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4
> Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > HD2 > Treo 650 > Lumia 920
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by NoApple and Remy X like this.
Old 12/07/2012, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
The insulation used could be flammable...
Deca to the rescue ..some PBDE's on your toast?
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
Preemptive's Avatar
 
Posts: 907
Er...

Wasn't this done?

The webOS Toaster is real | webOS Nation

On a serious note, I saw the Jolla people were trying to install Sailfish onto anything they could get hold of (well, serious computing platforms at least!).

Are gram's resources more limited?

Ubiquity = devs = apps = ecosystem = customers = ubiquity .... etc
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
And the team at HP tested webOS on the iPad1 while they were getting the Touchpad market-ready.

If there's a compiler for some particular processor architecture, the Linux kernel can be compiled to run on it. Then if you can hook up any old hardware keyboard and have a primitive display output (or SSH or TTY in), you can say that it's running and usable. Hardware accelerated graphics and full color high-res display come later with much more work.

Well, wasn't it Debian => Maemo => Meego => Jolla. It's built on a serious linux distro that's been around for a long time and loading it onto yet another device doesn't impress me. We can run webOS on many things if we just forget about Luna, but Luna is where all of the non-PDK apps run and the UI is. LunaSysMgr is the face of webOS
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 07:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 645
Yes.. it's not so much the issue to get linux running, but to give LunaSysMgr a warm and healthy environment where it likes to do it's magic.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
xandros9's Avatar
 
Posts: 908
The HP dv series would be a better heating choice though.
__________________
HP Think Beyond Event - http://youtu.be/VnjwG7Z8AM8
m500/5 > Z|71 > T|C > Z|71 > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4
> Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > HD2 > Treo 650 > Lumia 920
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 12:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
And the team at HP tested webOS on the iPad1 while they were getting the Touchpad market-ready.

If there's a compiler for some particular processor architecture, the Linux kernel can be compiled to run on it. Then if you can hook up any old hardware keyboard and have a primitive display output (or SSH or TTY in), you can say that it's running and usable. Hardware accelerated graphics and full color high-res display come later with much more work.

Well, wasn't it Debian => Maemo => Meego => Jolla. It's built on a serious linux distro that's been around for a long time and loading it onto yet another device doesn't impress me. We can run webOS on many things if we just forget about Luna, but Luna is where all of the non-PDK apps run and the UI is. LunaSysMgr is the face of webOS
wasnt the rumour that they ran enyo apps on the ipad, and not actually webOS, which is quite different, or was there a different story i missed? deffo soudsn weird as the "touchpad" came bundled with android originally before it went webOS native.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0