webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > hp donates servers to webosports team
hp donates servers to webosports team
Like Tree24Likes

Old 11/30/2012, 04:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

From webosports twitter:
"HP/Gram donates 5 servers (each 12-core, 256 GB mem, 4 TB disk) for @webosports Open #webOS build farm"
webos-ports (webosports) on Twitter
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by renater, steven_farkas, RumoredNow and 1 others like this.
Old 11/30/2012, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
From webosports twitter:
"HP/Gram donates 5 servers (each 12-core, 256 GB mem, 4 TB disk) for @webosports Open #webOS build farm"
webos-ports (webosports) on Twitter
Fantastic commitment by HP.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

It is indeed, especially when you consider how much all of that is worth - they're at least 3500 each!
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Didn't they do about the same thing a couple of years ago with WebOS Internals? Still showing love, I guess.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by steven_farkas and geekpeter like this.
Old 11/30/2012, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

genuine surprise tbh, good stuff tho, gz those concerned.

take it they can be remoted and used for builds?
Old 11/30/2012, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

LOL... my first thought was that they really should have sold them since HP seems to need the money

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
LOL... my first thought was that they really should have sold them since HP seems to need the money
Perhaps a tax write off? Good news though...

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Didn't they do about the same thing a couple of years ago with WebOS Internals? Still showing love, I guess.
Yeah, and 1 month after HP shutted down the AC Feeds.

So, webOS port team, just be careful.

Old 11/30/2012, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

i am totally not trying to rain on anyone's parade here; just considering another perspective based on my experience with corporate hardware:

i work for a similar computer manufacturer and blade servers are what i work with daily. When our data center removes servers that are end-of-life, we scrub the HDDs, and send the entire chassis (stacked on pallets) to be RECYCLED. aka TRASH.

my suspicion is, if they pulled these servers out of their DC, they're not working with what was on them at all anymore, and that's disappointing. But someone may have said "hey let's give these to the webOS people instead of chuckin' 'em", and probably even pulled a string or two to save them from the standard recycling routine, because WE can't pull ANYTHING from recycling without a hassle.

i'd like to know if their HDDs still had data on them and if so, what. THAT may indicate someone's intent to help foster webOS development, vs. handing someone a leftover sandwich and saying, "you wanna eat this, otherwise i'm throwin' it out"

last month alone i think i sent 3 pallets of servers like that to the recyclers. and we're just one very tiny unit of our Services division.

so kudos are in order, for the generous INDIVIDUALS who helped make this happen; but i throw NO bones to HP as a whole. i'd be very surprised if anyone up top even knew.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/30/2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I doubt that they pulled 12-core 256-gig ram 4TB drive machines out of their racks to recycle, and decided to repurpose them to the ports guys. Sounds pretty unlikely, even though you make a reasonable case for it.

I don't know what the specs are on the dedicated build hardware I'm using, but from what I've seen, it looks like the webos-ports build hardware currently is building somewhat faster than the machines I use. And waaaaaaaaay faster than my developer hardware.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and steven_farkas like this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 11/30/2012, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Oooo! Great news

Even if they are possibly salvage hardware, it still is some impressive stuff
All of the hardware i owned as a kid was somebody else's cast-offs, and yet it lasted me a number of years. One thing though, hard-drives die first

Major thanks to whoever made this happen. It shows that somebody there realizes that homebrew is the heart of webOS...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
[snip]
I don't know what the specs are on the dedicated build hardware I'm using, but from what I've seen, it looks like the webos-ports build hardware currently is building somewhat faster than the machines I use. And waaaaaaaaay faster than my developer hardware.
[/snip]
And your dev hardware is most likely faster than mine

I'm on a Netbook and proud of it. As an ethical web dev, i like being able to see real-world performance of the code i work on, and the portability of a netbook never hurts. ...and the HP Mini has a nice full-sized keyboard too
Old 11/30/2012, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

hmm DL160 g8 servers do not sound like someone else's leftovers... Those are brand new. 500gb 7.2K near line SAS drives may not be the fastest but that is still quite a lot of processing power and storage right there. Definitely a nice gesture from some folks at HP.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and Remy X like this.
Old 11/30/2012, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
hmm DL160 g8 servers do not sound like someone else's leftovers... Those are brand new. 500gb 7.2K near line SAS drives may not be the fastest but that is still quite a lot of processing power and storage right there. Definitely a nice gesture from some folks at HP.
Unless it comes from someone designing graphics card chips. But yeah, i think you're right. In any case it wasn't free. The guys at Gram probably see this as an investment that will pay for itself many times over. Good luck to them and to us
Old 11/30/2012, 10:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
ugh i completely overlooked the specs quoted. if that's new hardware, then that IS an awesome and generous batch of goodies. i prefer it when my cynical side is wrong.

just we've been tossin' out poweredge blades (r600s? can't remember now) like disposable cups this year, and so that's the first thing that came to mind....

....because for SOME reason, i've developed a habit of assuming the worst from HP.

regardless of the source or why, webosports should find good use for them, and they're definitely a great recipient worthy of some generosity returned for all they've contributed so far.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 11:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

And then here's the full news article in case someone missed it... because i almost did:

HP/Gram donates five super hefty servers to WebOS Ports | webOS Nation
Liked by TJs10thPre likes this.
Thanked By: TJs10thPre
Old 11/30/2012, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Are all 5 servers needed?
Could it be that HP wants Ports to take over cloud services for phones and TouchPads next July?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 11:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs10thPre View Post
....because for SOME reason, i've developed a habit of assuming the worst from HP.
It's not a bad habit at all, anyone always have to assume the worst from HP....
Old 12/01/2012, 03:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs10thPre View Post
ugh i completely overlooked the specs quoted. if that's new hardware, then that IS an awesome and generous batch of goodies. i prefer it when my cynical side is wrong.

just we've been tossin' out poweredge blades (r600s? can't remember now) like disposable cups this year, and so that's the first thing that came to mind....

regardless of the source or why, webosports should find good use for them, and they're definitely a great recipient worthy of some generosity returned for all they've contributed so far.
I could really go for having a Blade server or two here, if you can manage to save one ... it goes perfectly with my name.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by steven_farkas likes this.
Old 12/01/2012, 07:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Developer

To answer some questions in this thread, the servers are new, never used before, built to order boxes specifically specced to be build machines (hence the massive ram).

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, TJs10thPre, steven_farkas and 2 others like this.

Tags
gram, open webos, webos port

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0