webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > How do I get ares 2.0 up and running?
How do I get ares 2.0 up and running?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 11/25/2012, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I use to mess around with ares 1.0 and make simple apps for myself so I was wanting to check 2.0 out. So I went to github (https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project) and did the installing and cloning but I am stuck at the updating the submodule.
$ cd ares-project
sh.exe": cd: ares-project: No such file or directory
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/25/2012, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I found it was the easiest using GitHub for Windows as it'll do the updating for you automatically.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mattmers
Old 11/26/2012, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
I use to mess around with ares 1.0 and make simple apps for myself so I was wanting to check 2.0 out. So I went to github (https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project) and did the installing and cloning but I am stuck at the updating the submodule.
$ cd ares-project
sh.exe": cd: ares-project: No such file or directory
That probably means that the clone did not work in the first place... or did you clone into a different directory?

You can view the filesystem with ls (or dir).
Garfonso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I found it was the easiest using GitHub for Windows as it'll do the updating for you automatically.
I used the github windows client as well. All commands in the wiki instructions can be run from the github shell (after its installed) without any issues.
PrplHaz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Does ares work for any of you? I tried to create a new project which failed and crashed the server (the js part)... I got some error messages but nothing else, really... a bit disappointing. :-(

And is it just me, or does Enyo 2 (or better onyx) stuff look quite ugly?
Old 11/27/2012, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Does ares work for any of you? I tried to create a new project which failed and crashed the server (the js part)... I got some error messages but nothing else, really... a bit disappointing. :-(

I think mine created projects fine. The configuration is different from what is outlined in the readme. And Onyx doesn't look too bad. It's just Ares 2 doesn't seem to use any of that stuff,
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 11/28/2012, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Cool thing is now you can customize a theme, and make it look how you want:

Enyo 2.1: Theming, Localization, and more! | The Enyo Blog

Quote:
LESS-based theming support: In order to provide easy customization of the Onyx UI library, we have added first-class support for using LESS stylesheets with Enyo. Check out our new UI Theming Guide for details on how easy it is to customize Onyx in your app.
Two Outta Three! - A coin flip game
Chore Tracker Pro - A chore organizing app
Peek-A-Dash - A tumblr dashboard client that runs in a multitasking system popup

Donate link to support my work
thricetwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

So Ares 2 is only locally hosted? I so haven't kept up but I had problems using Ares 1 on my ancient laptop and now that I have new hardware that might be able to actually run it, maybe I will try again.
jbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbates View Post
So Ares 2 is only locally hosted? I so haven't kept up but I had problems using Ares 1 on my ancient laptop and now that I have new hardware that might be able to actually run it, maybe I will try again.
True. If you'd like, you could set up a dedicated web server and run it from that.
Old 12/13/2012, 02:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbates View Post
Yes. But Ares2 is completely JS and no Java stuff like in Ares1. Even if you host it locally and work at the same computer, it should run much more fluently..

Quote:
True. If you'd like, you could set up a dedicated web server and run it from that.
no need (and no chance without mayor rework of ares) for a web server... it's running in its own node.js webserver process and serving pages from that. Can't run that with an apache (I tried ).

Still for me it's crashing all the time. :-(
Old 01/03/2013, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

So i was suggested to get github and I could net get it to install, kept getting and error about the .net 4 framework failed to setup, so i did ton of googling and figured out that my the update service was not running and had to google even more for a solution. Got it working and finally got github running. So now what? since I'm using github instead of git, what directions do I follow to get ares 2.0 up and running?
Old 01/03/2013, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
So i was suggested to get github and I could net get it to install, kept getting and error about the .net 4 framework failed to setup, so i did ton of googling and figured out that my the update service was not running and had to google even more for a solution. Got it working and finally got github running. So now what? since I'm using github instead of git, what directions do I follow to get ares 2.0 up and running?
first make sure you install node 0.8 (link is on ares wiki) then run github shell - it will open a cmd prompt then just follow the instructions on the ares wiki starting with git clone...etc
Old 01/03/2013, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrplHaz4 View Post
first make sure you install node 0.8 (link is on ares wiki) then run github shell - it will open a cmd prompt then just follow the instructions on the ares wiki starting with git clone...etc
I already have node installed, but is the github shell another program or do I launch it from github?
Old 01/03/2013, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

GitHub Shell comes with GitHub for Windows. You can access it by selecting your repository in the GitHub client GUI and click on the menu button beside the repository name (at least I think that's what it is). There's an open shell command that will bring you to the correct directory where you can execute your commands.

Alternatively just cd to the right directory yourself if you're not using Windows or otherwise.
Old 01/03/2013, 10:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
GitHub Shell comes with GitHub for Windows. You can access it by selecting your repository in the GitHub client GUI and click on the menu button beside the repository name (at least I think that's what it is). There's an open shell command that will bring you to the correct directory where you can execute your commands.

Alternatively just cd to the right directory yourself if you're not using Windows or otherwise.
Yea, just minimized my browser and saw the GitHub Shell shortcut sitting on my desktop lol. ok, so I did the clone section of the directions but I'm a bit unsure what to do for the run part. how to I navigate to the ares directory?
Old 01/04/2013, 02:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

if you still have the shell open in the same place that you did the clone in, just type (if not try to reconstruct that.. clicking on the git shell icon should bring you to the right place):

Code:
cd ares-project
the prompt should now say something like:

Code:
[some top level directory where you pointed github to store its repositories]/ares-project (master)
now type

Code:
node ide.js --browser
And ares should be running now and open a browser with ares (for me it is not and crashed?? hmpf...). You can also omit the --browser part and manually point your browser at Mobile Nations.
From now on you can ignore the shell (but don't close it) and work in the browser. If something acts arkward (or not at all anymore) you can have a look in the shell to see if there are any error messages or if ares is crashed (which it does for me, all the time ) and restart it (just press up and enter ). Hope that helps a little.

If you want to stop ares press ctrl + c in the shell window.
Old 01/04/2013, 04:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
if you still have the shell open in the same place that you did the clone in, just type (if not try to reconstruct that.. clicking on the git shell icon should bring you to the right place):

Code:
cd ares-project
the prompt should now say something like:

Code:
[some top level directory where you pointed github to store its repositories]/ares-project (master)
now type

Code:
node ide.js --browser
And ares should be running now and open a browser with ares (for me it is not and crashed?? hmpf...). You can also omit the --browser part and manually point your browser at Mobile Nations.
From now on you can ignore the shell (but don't close it) and work in the browser. If something acts arkward (or not at all anymore) you can have a look in the shell to see if there are any error messages or if ares is crashed (which it does for me, all the time ) and restart it (just press up and enter ). Hope that helps a little.

If you want to stop ares press ctrl + c in the shell window.
areas error.PNG

^ look at pic
Also tryed .\\ide.js and .\ide.js because it suggested it when i typed that command with no "node" because it said it did not recognize that as a command
Old 01/04/2013, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Attachment 66597

^ look at pic
Also tryed .\\ide.js and .\ide.js because it suggested it when i typed that command with no "node" because it said it did not recognize that as a command
it sounds like node.js 0.8 isn't installed or is not in your windows path variable - if I wasn't on my touchpad I could give a more complete answer but google can prob help you with adding node to your path variable
Old 01/04/2013, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think the node setup adds node to PATH by default.
Old 01/04/2013, 03:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

We really need someone to shove this onto a server
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos and mattmers like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0