webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   Open webOS General Discussion (http://forums.webosnation.com/open-webos-general-discussion/)
-   -   How do I get ares 2.0 up and running? (http://forums.webosnation.com/open-webos-general-discussion/320183-how-do-i-get-ares-2-0-up-running.html)

mattmers 11/25/2012 10:05 PM

How do I get ares 2.0 up and running?

I use to mess around with ares 1.0 and make simple apps for myself so I was wanting to check 2.0 out. So I went to github ([URL="https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project"]https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project[/URL]) and did the installing and cloning but I am stuck at the updating the submodule.
[INDENT][I]$ cd ares-project
sh.exe": cd: ares-project: No such file or directory[/I][/INDENT]

GMMan 11/25/2012 10:17 PM

I found it was the easiest using GitHub for Windows as it'll do the updating for you automatically.

Garfonso 11/26/2012 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=mattmers;3364892]I use to mess around with ares 1.0 and make simple apps for myself so I was wanting to check 2.0 out. So I went to github ([URL="https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project"]https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project[/URL]) and did the installing and cloning but I am stuck at the updating the submodule.
[INDENT][I]$ cd ares-project
sh.exe": cd: ares-project: No such file or directory[/I][/INDENT][/QUOTE]

That probably means that the clone did not work in the first place... or did you clone into a different directory?

You can view the filesystem with ls (or dir).

PrplHaz4 11/26/2012 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=GMMan;3364895]I found it was the easiest using GitHub for Windows as it'll do the updating for you automatically.[/QUOTE]

I used the github windows client as well. All commands in the wiki instructions can be run from the github shell (after its installed) without any issues.

Garfonso 11/27/2012 07:07 AM

Does ares work for any of you? I tried to create a new project which failed and crashed the server (the js part)... I got some error messages but nothing else, really... a bit disappointing. :-(

And is it just me, or does Enyo 2 (or better onyx) stuff look quite ugly?

GMMan 11/27/2012 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=Garfonso;3365104]Does ares work for any of you? I tried to create a new project which failed and crashed the server (the js part)... I got some error messages but nothing else, really... a bit disappointing. :-(

And is it just me, or does Enyo 2 (or better onyx) stuff look quite ugly?[/QUOTE]

I think mine created projects fine. The configuration is different from what is outlined in the readme. And Onyx doesn't look too bad. It's just Ares 2 doesn't seem to use any of that stuff,

thricetwice 11/28/2012 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=Garfonso;3365104]Does ares work for any of you? I tried to create a new project which failed and crashed the server (the js part)... I got some error messages but nothing else, really... a bit disappointing. :-(

And is it just me, or does Enyo 2 (or better onyx) stuff look quite ugly?[/QUOTE]

Cool thing is now you can customize a theme, and make it look how you want:

[url=http://blog.enyojs.com/post/34359082150/enyo-2-1-theming-localization-and-more]Enyo 2.1: Theming, Localization, and more! | The Enyo Blog[/url]

[quote]
LESS-based theming support: In order to provide easy customization of the Onyx UI library, we have added first-class support for using LESS stylesheets with Enyo. Check out our new UI Theming Guide for details on how easy it is to customize Onyx in your app.
[/quote]

jbates 12/12/2012 08:01 PM

So Ares 2 is only locally hosted? I so haven't kept up but I had problems using Ares 1 on my ancient laptop and now that I have new hardware that might be able to actually run it, maybe I will try again.

GMMan 12/12/2012 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=jbates;3367925]So Ares 2 is only locally hosted? I so haven't kept up but I had problems using Ares 1 on my ancient laptop and now that I have new hardware that might be able to actually run it, maybe I will try again.[/QUOTE]

True. If you'd like, you could set up a dedicated web server and run it from that.

Garfonso 12/13/2012 02:35 AM

[QUOTE=jbates;3367925]So Ares 2 is only locally hosted? I so haven't kept up but I had problems using Ares 1 on my ancient laptop and now that I have new hardware that might be able to actually run it, maybe I will try again.[/QUOTE]

Yes. But Ares2 is completely JS and no Java stuff like in Ares1. Even if you host it locally and work at the same computer, it should run much more fluently.. :)

[QUOTE=GMMan;3367947]True. If you'd like, you could set up a dedicated web server and run it from that.[/QUOTE]

no need (and no chance without mayor rework of ares) for a web server... it's running in its own node.js webserver process and serving pages from that. Can't run that with an apache (I tried ;)).

Still for me it's crashing all the time. :-(

mattmers 01/03/2013 07:38 PM

So i was suggested to get github and I could net get it to install, kept getting and error about the .net 4 framework failed to setup, so i did ton of googling and figured out that my the update service was not running and had to google even more for a solution. Got it working and finally got github running. So now what? since I'm using github instead of git, what directions do I follow to get ares 2.0 up and running?

PrplHaz4 01/03/2013 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=mattmers;3371394]So i was suggested to get github and I could net get it to install, kept getting and error about the .net 4 framework failed to setup, so i did ton of googling and figured out that my the update service was not running and had to google even more for a solution. Got it working and finally got github running. So now what? since I'm using github instead of git, what directions do I follow to get ares 2.0 up and running?[/QUOTE]
first make sure you install node 0.8 (link is on ares wiki) then run github shell - it will open a cmd prompt then just follow the instructions on the ares wiki starting with git clone...etc

mattmers 01/03/2013 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=PrplHaz4;3371411]first make sure you install node 0.8 (link is on ares wiki) then run github shell - it will open a cmd prompt then just follow the instructions on the ares wiki starting with git clone...etc[/QUOTE]
I already have node installed, but is the github shell another program or do I launch it from github?

GMMan 01/03/2013 09:40 PM

GitHub Shell comes with GitHub for Windows. You can access it by selecting your repository in the GitHub client GUI and click on the menu button beside the repository name (at least I think that's what it is). There's an open shell command that will bring you to the correct directory where you can execute your commands.

Alternatively just cd to the right directory yourself if you're not using Windows or otherwise.

mattmers 01/03/2013 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=GMMan;3371419]GitHub Shell comes with GitHub for Windows. You can access it by selecting your repository in the GitHub client GUI and click on the menu button beside the repository name (at least I think that's what it is). There's an open shell command that will bring you to the correct directory where you can execute your commands.

Alternatively just cd to the right directory yourself if you're not using Windows or otherwise.[/QUOTE]
Yea, just minimized my browser and saw the GitHub Shell shortcut sitting on my desktop lol. ok, so I did the clone section of the directions but I'm a bit unsure what to do for the run part. how to I navigate to the ares directory?

Garfonso 01/04/2013 02:46 AM

if you still have the shell open in the same place that you did the clone in, just type (if not try to reconstruct that.. clicking on the git shell icon should bring you to the right place):

[code]cd ares-project[/code]

the prompt should now say something like:

[code][some top level directory where you pointed github to store its repositories]/ares-project (master)[/code]

now type

[code]node ide.js --browser[/code]

And ares should be running now and open a browser with ares (for me it is not and crashed?? hmpf...). You can also omit the --browser part and manually point your browser at [url=http://127.0.0.1:9009]Mobile Nations[/url].
From now on you can ignore the shell (but don't close it) and work in the browser. If something acts arkward (or not at all anymore) you can have a look in the shell to see if there are any error messages or if ares is crashed (which it does for me, all the time :() and restart it (just press up and enter ;)). Hope that helps a little.

If you want to stop ares press ctrl + c in the shell window.

mattmers 01/04/2013 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Garfonso;3371460]if you still have the shell open in the same place that you did the clone in, just type (if not try to reconstruct that.. clicking on the git shell icon should bring you to the right place):

[code]cd ares-project[/code]

the prompt should now say something like:

[code][some top level directory where you pointed github to store its repositories]/ares-project (master)[/code]

now type

[code]node ide.js --browser[/code]

And ares should be running now and open a browser with ares (for me it is not and crashed?? hmpf...). You can also omit the --browser part and manually point your browser at [url=http://127.0.0.1:9009]Mobile Nations[/url].
From now on you can ignore the shell (but don't close it) and work in the browser. If something acts arkward (or not at all anymore) you can have a look in the shell to see if there are any error messages or if ares is crashed (which it does for me, all the time :() and restart it (just press up and enter ;)). Hope that helps a little.

If you want to stop ares press ctrl + c in the shell window.[/QUOTE]
[ATTACH]66597[/ATTACH]

^ look at pic
Also tryed .\\ide.js and .\ide.js because it suggested it when i typed that command with no "node" because it said it did not recognize that as a command

PrplHaz4 01/04/2013 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=mattmers;3371469][ATTACH]66597[/ATTACH]

^ look at pic
Also tryed .\\ide.js and .\ide.js because it suggested it when i typed that command with no "node" because it said it did not recognize that as a command[/QUOTE]

it sounds like node.js 0.8 isn't installed or is not in your windows path variable - if I wasn't on my touchpad I could give a more complete answer but google can prob help you with adding node to your path variable

GMMan 01/04/2013 10:10 AM

I think the node setup adds node to PATH by default.

webOSnomad 01/04/2013 03:19 PM

We really need someone to shove this onto a server