webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > How do I get ares 2.0 up and running?
How do I get ares 2.0 up and running?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 01/04/2013, 08:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrplHaz4 View Post
it sounds like node.js 0.8 isn't installed or is not in your windows path variable - if I wasn't on my touchpad I could give a more complete answer but google can prob help you with adding node to your path variable
So I reinstalled node and its done something, what I don't know lol
Capture3.PNG
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 10:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think the config from the most recent revision was messed up or something. Try comparing it with a previous revision and see if there are any problems. I don't remember what I did to make it work.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mattmers
Old 01/04/2013, 11:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I think the config from the most recent revision was messed up or something. Try comparing it with a previous revision and see if there are any problems. I don't remember what I did to make it work.
I think I'm not knowledgeable in this stuff to be messing with it lol. no clue how to do what you said.
Old 01/05/2013, 01:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Hmm... I took a peek at the GitHub repo, and they have updated quite a bit since I last pulled. I'll check my copy some other time.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 01/05/2013, 10:23 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
So I reinstalled node and its done something, what I don't know lol
Attachment 66604
that looks like the correct output now open a web browser and go to Mobile Nations I think - don't have mine running to check...it used to tell you the address it was running on...maybe try without the --browser option - it prob doesn't work on windows yet anyways
PrplHaz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 03:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
that looks like the correct output now open a web browser and go to Mobile Nations I think - don't have mine running to check...it used to tell you the address it was running on...maybe try without the --browser option - it prob doesn't work on windows yet anyways
yep! look like you got the file server running

now load ares in the browser ( chrome or fire fox) -- .> " http://127.0.0.1:9009/ide/ares/index.htm"

john
john mcconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 05:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
slow and steady progress
Capture4.PNG
Also tryed firefox browser
Capture5.PNG

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it everyone.
Old 01/05/2013, 05:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
slow and steady progress
Attachment 66612
Also tryed firefox browser
Attachment 66613

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it everyone.
Capture6.PNG

Its alive, Mobile Nations

the "L" was forgotten lol

Thank you everyone soooooo much, and now the community has a crash course on how to get ares 2.0 up.

If I can, so can you!
Old 01/05/2013, 05:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Now how do I make an app for my pre3 lol, those old videos that palm made for developers were so useful to get started.
Palm webOS Development: Building Your First App youtube video
Old 01/05/2013, 10:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Now how do I make an app for my pre3 lol, those old videos that palm made for developers were so useful to get started.
Palm webOS Development: Building Your First App youtube video
1. Get a copy of Bootplate from git hub

2. do the " git submodule update --init " so it pulls down the enyo and libs in to bootplate

you have working app the to play with. Edit the app.js file in the source folder to what you want.
test it by loading the debug.html file in your browser!

when you got it were you want then run the minfi tool's( this packs the file so do it after you got it looking like you want.

then it will run with the index.html file

john
Old 01/06/2013, 01:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mcconnell View Post
1. Get a copy of Bootplate from git hub

2. do the " git submodule update --init " so it pulls down the enyo and libs in to bootplate

you have working app the to play with. Edit the app.js file in the source folder to what you want.
test it by loading the debug.html file in your browser!

when you got it were you want then run the minfi tool's( this packs the file so do it after you got it looking like you want.

then it will run with the index.html file

john
so i did this:
git clone https://github.com/enyojs/bootplate.git
then
git submodule update --init
and finally exited, and reentered
cd ares-project
node ide.js --browser
so all that seemed to work with some trial and error which is awesome but I still don't know my way around ares 2.0 dont. How do I create a new app and stuff. We really need some tutorial videos for ares 2.0 . thanks for all the help so far community

Last edited by mattmers; 01/30/2013 at 08:41 PM.
Thanked By: sgcheco
Old 01/07/2013, 11:18 AM   #32 (permalink)

by cloning bootplate, you created an app skeleton - it sounds like you cloned it inside the ares-project directory - you probably want to move it into "Documents" or something instead, and also rename the "bootplate" folder to "MyAppName" - or whatever you want your app to be called. Your app will be wholly contained within this folder. (see bootplate wiki for more info https://github.com/enyojs/enyo/wiki/Bootplate)

From there, in Ares, you will need to use the "import or scan for projects" button, and then locate your app folder - from here, your app will now be an Ares "project". You should now be able to use the "Preview Project" button to see what your app looks like....since it is a fresh clone of bootplate, it will be just be a simple "hello world" app.

Once you have an Ares project, you can begin editing your app. The source you will be editing is located in "MyProject\source\App.js" - double click this file in Ares to open it in the editor, or switch to the designer for visual design.

It is really not feasible to go into much more detail on developing apps with Ares in a forum post - it is very much still pre-alpha software, and should have "real" docs published when it goes into beta.
PrplHaz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 10:20 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
by cloning bootplate, you created an app skeleton - it sounds like you cloned it inside the ares-project directory - you probably want to move it into "Documents" or something instead, and also rename the "bootplate" folder to "MyAppName" - or whatever you want your app to be called. Your app will be wholly contained within this folder. (see bootplate wiki for more info https://github.com/enyojs/enyo/wiki/Bootplate)

From there, in Ares, you will need to use the "import or scan for projects" button, and then locate your app folder - from here, your app will now be an Ares "project". You should now be able to use the "Preview Project" button to see what your app looks like....since it is a fresh clone of bootplate, it will be just be a simple "hello world" app.
Ok, in my "Github" folder there is a "ares project" folder and a "bootplate" folder, both are separate. I didn't know how to move to the previous directory so I always just closed the program and the "cd ....."

Also I did the "import" thing but when I select "bootplate" folder and click ok, it does nothing. Is it suppose to add it to the left column?
Old 01/07/2013, 10:31 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Once you have an Ares project, you can begin editing your app. The source you will be editing is located in "MyProject\source\App.js" - double click this file in Ares to open it in the editor, or switch to the designer for visual design.

It is really not feasible to go into much more detail on developing apps with Ares in a forum post - it is very much still pre-alpha software, and should have "real" docs published when it goes into beta.
And really I'm just looking for a vde that I can use to make some basic reference apps for mostly me, nothing special right now.

and I thought Ares 2.0 was the official release, didn't think it was still in alpha stages.
Old 01/08/2013, 06:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

the last time I looked at it, ares 2.0 had some method to create a project, didn't it? For me it always crashed, when I tried that... but is this gone now?

For me ares 2.0 never really worked, sadly... you think with them pushing enyo forward, they should care a bit more for ares, because that is a pretty nice idea actually... on the other hand developing GUIs in enyo is much easier than in mojo... so I do that today with a text editor (notepad++ on windows) and try out everything in the browser, until I'm satisfied and then start to try it on a device or the emulator. For most stuff you don't need anything special...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 09:38 AM   #36 (permalink)

1. open up ares click the create project button ( the frist one next too the ares button on left)

2. browes too the bootplate Folder that you downloaded and click ok.

3. fill in the info for the project

4. you now have it in the left column ( it be listed under the name of the folder you use bootplate if you did not change it)

5. click on the name in the left column it now come up in the right column listing files

6. open the source folder and click on the app.js file that pull it up in the text editor

there you can play/learn then load the debug.html in a browser to see you work
Old 01/10/2013, 04:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Why when I click preview project it only says Apple products?
and when I click one it says "Cannot GET /files/file\Documents\GitHub\bootplate/index.html?
Old 01/10/2013, 05:18 PM   #38 (permalink)

Ares 2 is oddly buggy in the way files are handled. I just pulled the latest changes and it broke for me again, even though it worked after some fiddling (then reverting the fiddling; no actual changes were made) before the pull.
Old 01/10/2013, 07:05 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Ares 2 is oddly buggy in the way files are handled. I just pulled the latest changes and it broke for me again, even though it worked after some fiddling (then reverting the fiddling; no actual changes were made) before the pull.
So does everyone think i should just stick with ares 1.0 (since im not experienced) for making apps, will they work on my pre 3?
Old 01/10/2013, 08:40 PM   #40 (permalink)

They'll work for Pre3, though they won't be as ideal for TouchPad (specifically, no back gesture if full screen). I think Enyo's easy enough to write by hand, since you don't have to split the code up between HTML and JavaScript. See if you can find an Enyo app on App Catalog, then try adding and removing stuff in it.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0