webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP webOS site with new look. The Legacy continues.
HP webOS site with new look. The Legacy continues.
Like Tree12Likes

Old 11/20/2012, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

If you want to remember some of the webOS mobile devices from the Palm Pre to the TouchPad visit the HP webOS site, it has a new look. The legacy continues are the headlines. You can click on each model device to enlarge the view and a short launch history pops up with it, then click again on and it will take you back to the webOS devices spinning wheel.

If you click on Learn more , you will be redirected to http://www.openwebosproject.org/

HP WebOS official website

sigh
akitayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and cujoq37 like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 11/20/2012, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think that they miss a few pieces of history there on the site. In my opinion inside of the description of the devices, they should had included this: "Which the incompetence of bungling and buffoonery of HP CEO's, WebOS one of the best operating system were cancelled and now there's a little bit of memory of what HP had in their hands and with their stupidity they destroyed it".

With clicking on the link, it stirs so much emotion and anger mixed with a bit of hope that despite the silliness of HP(Autonomy and all)....that the WebOS team can move forward with the Open Source project with success with new hardware that runs on it.
Old 11/20/2012, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

If you want to remember some of the webOS mobile devices from the Palm Pre to the TouchPad visit the HP webOS site, it has a new look. The legacy continues are the headlines. You can click on each model device to enlarge the view and a short launch history pops up with it, then click again on and it will take you back to the webOS devices spinning wheel.

If you click on Learn more , you will be redirected to http://www.openwebosproject.org/

HP WebOS official website

sigh
They can't even get the names of the devices right... i.e. the Palm Veer
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman likes this.
Old 11/20/2012, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I think that they miss a few pieces of history there on the site. In my opinion inside of the description of the devices, they should had included this: "Which the incompetence of bungling and buffoonery of HP CEO's, WebOS one of the best operating system were cancelled and now there's a little bit of memory of what HP had in their hands and with their stupidity they destroyed it".
Does it pass the Wikipedia test? Of course it doesn't.

I don't know, the site doesn't seem that impressive. They should've built something out of Enyo 2. When clicking on the the devices, it brings up a bigger, slower to load image, but with the text hanging off the sides. BTW, I noticed this yesterday, so if anyone want to merge my previous thread on it with this one, feel free to do so.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 11/20/2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like that there are people working on something there. That spinning globe site... that just did not look very good at all in Chrome running on Windows. If it means anything, the jobs link in the blog update from two weeks ago only has two positions listed now. Were there a bunch more when it started?

Looks like they need an IT Director.. If only I were in Austin!

http://www.openwebosproject.org/community/jobs

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 01:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
They can't even get the names of the devices right... i.e. the Palm Veer
Dito for the Pre 3 - but clicking on the details gives the correct name.

What I don't like is that they show the device's introduction date (e.g. Feb 2011 for the Pre 3, Veer and TouchPad), but these devices have been available some months later only - and only for a few days
Old 11/21/2012, 04:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

They state that the Veer has TTS capability which never arrived officially. :-(
Also if you click on the "Palm Veer" it becomes the "HP Veer" in the bigger picture... also the Palm Pre2 becomes HP.. didn't that device still have a Palm logo on it? Not sure, though...

Otherwise: nice that they changed the site to state that webos isn't there anymore... before it never said anything about cancelled products and stuff.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

For HP to show any interest in evening maintaining the whole webOS open sourcing after this long is good to me. I didnt expect much from them, but its moving along and having some updates at least.

Now I anticipate Meg has a vision to make webOS come back on future devices and the board will fire her, then we'll get nothing and HP will go under even more. lol
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 08:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
They state that the Veer has TTS capability which never arrived officially. :-(
Also if you click on the "Palm Veer" it becomes the "HP Veer" in the bigger picture... also the Palm Pre2 becomes HP.. didn't that device still have a Palm logo on it? Not sure, though...

Otherwise: nice that they changed the site to state that webos isn't there anymore... before it never said anything about cancelled products and stuff.
Yes, the Pre2 has a Palm logo, probably because it uses the same backs as the Pre and Pre Plus. Really I consider all the phones to be Palm products in spite of HP. HP may have been involved, but they are not much different.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Palm Pre 3 - that's what they call it in the gallery. Go orange
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37 likes this.
Old 11/21/2012, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Like how they have the Palm PrePlus Powered by webOS 2.0, although Verizon, AT&T, etc... are stuck at webOS 1.4.5.x only O2 and SFR had webOS 2.1.0 (build 284/285)....

PixiPlus also says Powered by webOS 2.0, even though there is no public webOS Doctor beyond webOS 1.4.5.x, also states increase memory although it is the same as Pixi, the Plus was WiFi....

Oh and as mentioned all Phones are labeled Palm... Where HP Pre2, Veer, and Pre3 are corrected once highlighted...
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

I like how there's an 'Accessories' link which provides no direct link to any actual accessories for our treasured legacy Palm/HP devices. I was moderately energized for a nano-second there....
cujoq37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm waiting for someone to say this has fail written all over it. That is the phrase of the decade is it not?
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just the fact HP is updating a site for a "dead" OS is encouraging.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Just the fact HP is updating a site for a "dead" OS is encouraging.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
It's basically a glorified redirect to the Open webOS Project to show they support it. Which is ironic considering Open webOS runs on exactly zero of those devices and isn't intended to. Somewhat misleading, if you ask me.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

anyone noticed the incosistences with the pre3 exhibition mode? rounded corners, says clock rather than time, shows the alarm icon next to time (even though there isnt one in the notification tray?) the green calendar icon (i think its supposed to be blue?). also time and date say either 9th Feb 12pm (US calendar system, maybe the webos 2.0/3.0 device intro) or 2nd Sept 12pm (UK calendar system, maybe pre3 launch date).
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

HP: the lunacy continues
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo and Remy X like this.
Old 11/21/2012, 07:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hey it says openWebOS has a booth Wed Dec 5th at the mHealth summit. Is this the debut of openWebOS to the public?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Hey it says openWebOS has a booth Wed Dec 5th at the mHealth summit. Is this the debut of openWebOS to the public?
Extremely likely they're just publicizing it to the medical community there. The mHeath summit isn't exactly someplace the tech press sends people to cover, and if it were being debuted to the public in any meaningful way, they'd do it at a venue guaranteed to have relevant press around.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 09:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
News Contributor

Was the Pre 3 launched ? or just exhibited ?
akitayo is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0