webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > is this Nexus worthy of Open webOS
is this Nexus worthy of Open webOS
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 11/20/2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Nexus on Craigslist......to bad its not on sprint.....

already modified for the touchstone charger

Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Old 11/20/2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

To answer the question captured in the thread title...

Knowledgeable people including rwhitby have assured us that CDMA radio drivers are all closed source and a port of Open to those devices can not happen...

Sorry.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: kataran
Old 11/20/2012, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

this is important news.....thanks RumoredNow
Old 11/22/2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
To answer the question captured in the thread title...

Knowledgeable people including rwhitby have assured us that CDMA radio drivers are all closed source and a port of Open to those devices can not happen...

Sorry.

I actually hadn't seen that before. While I figured from the start it would be the truth, I didn't want to believe Guess I'll be moving on from the platform unless Phoenix has a viable option.
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, I don't know how I missed that, but I pretty bummed...we just moved from Sprint to Verizon. I would have looked at AT&T and possibly T-Mobile if I knew only GSM phones are able to get Open webOS.

Sorry, I must have been living under a rock.

RETIRED:
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
C_McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_McGuire View Post
Wow, I don't know how I missed that, but I pretty bummed...we just moved from Sprint to Verizon. I would have looked at AT&T and possibly T-Mobile if I knew only GSM phones are able to get Open webOS.

For now that is the case... But if gram generates a PE (Professional Edition) for a cell phone OEM then anything is possible once more. Granted that is a big if...

I'm somewhat hopeful that LG will want a webOS phone to pair with the webOS TV they have in development.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_McGuire View Post

Buying any phone right now or intentionally moving to a GSM carrier with the expectation of getting a polished version of Open webOS is, in the words of Rod Whitby from webOS Internals (paraphrased), "a pretty bad idea." I'd call it crazy, but he's got the diplomatic touch.

Wait until there's an actual, fully operational and optimized version of Open webOS running on a phone (and yes, it's gonna be GSM) before running out and spending cold, hard cash on whatever flavor the "port of the month" happens to be. Unless you like to gamble and don't mind a high possibility of disappointment and buyer's remorse. Or, even worse, having almost no apps to speak of that work with it.

I mean, hypothetically, what happens if the project decides that phone you just bought isn't going to be able to properly handle Open webOS in a finished state after all, and instead they suddenly aim their efforts at a newer model? What if the phone they've set their sights on changes suddenly to a model your carrier doesn't offer? Oops, you're locked into a contract with either having to pay full price for the newer phone, an early termination fee, or both.

Already not a smart move, right? Right. Unless you have the money to do so, in which case I think you're better off burning a mound of $1 bills in effigy to the original Palm webOS team while dancing nude before the flame muttering words like "Synergy", "Card Metaphor", and "Death to Apotheker" (while blissfully ignoring the long-standing issues with webOS that were there long before he showed up). Which is also bat**** crazy, but I digress.

Or, how about this? Quite possibly, let's say they never do get Open webOS in a completely polished state on a future non-webOS smartphone, even if there's no new webOS-based smartphone, leaving Open webOS effectively homeless. Now you're just sorely disappointed and quite likely stuck with an already-older phone that you probably didn't want in the first place if you knew it wouldn't run Open webOS to the "daily driver" state people generally expect out of their devices.

/insert sad trombone sound here.

(There's also the "what if" of coming out with a new webOS smartphone while you're stuck in a contract, etc...but those aren't worth noting here in the interest of brevity.)

So, continue on your normal course with Verizon and don't expect anything until it actually happens. That's "The Law of webOS", more or less. Everything at the current time is either pure speculation or testing of hypotheses more than anything else, and the last thing you want to do is depend on that to influence your purchasing or carrier choices right now. Don't be that guy who comes here a year from now *****ing about how webOS let you down because you didn't see the forest for the trees; the only person you'll be able to honestly blame is yourself.

tl;dr: Come back when it's ready. For now, play the field and be sure to come back to tell the forums how much the platform you're stuck with sucks compared to webOS.

Last edited by dignitary; 12/06/2012 at 11:49 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0