webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > noobie here
noobie here
Like Tree3Likes

Old 11/18/2012, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

so today i have come to the conclusion that i will try out webos. Blackberry,android,and ios are getting a little stale.
i have found a Pre 3 for sale and the seller has respectable reveiws..plaus for $269 shipped i cant say no. besides the multi tasking i hear alot about what other pros are there on webos? im not talking apps because i honestly use pandora and thats it. i am talking about roms,themes,ports etc. is this all possible? and how is the keyboard? i remeber checking out the Pixie some time ago and i felt like it was a toy with those tiny keys haha.ell thats about all im looking for.
a.crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's homebrew galore around here, though things have been a bit slow. I think more goes on at the TouchPad side (webOS 3.0 and LunaCE compared to webOS 2.x). Themes there are a bunch. Get it all with webOS Quick Install and Preware.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/18/2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well said, GMMan

One thing about the Pre3 though, many of the abandoned apps look wrong on it due to having fixed screen resolution and not scaling up to the correct screen size. Those can be patched easily, but don't be surprised if you run into one.

Oh, and when you get webOSQuickInstall, be sure that you have the latest version of Java. All the tools run on Java, including the webOS Doctor. You might only really need QuickInstall once, because once you load Preware using QI, you'll be able to download homebrew apps and patches in one click, without having to connect up your device every time.

Some of my favorite apps are ShiftyAxel's WiFi file share app, 72ka's Google Maps and the Theme Manager.

I guarantee you'll find a lot of stuff to play with once you get the phone in your hands

P.S. If you don't like something, chances are there's a patch for it already, if not, ask around and make a request. Bugs and missing features are a pretty universal thing that no one disagrees about, so sooner or later someone will always try to get them sorted out
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Well said, GMMan

One thing about the Pre3 though, many of the abandoned apps look wrong on it due to having fixed screen resolution and not scaling up to the correct screen size. Those can be patched easily, but don't be surprised if you run into one.

Oh, and when you get webOSQuickInstall, be sure that you have the latest version of Java. All the tools run on Java, including the webOS Doctor. You might only really need QuickInstall once, because once you load Preware using QI, you'll be able to download homebrew apps and patches in one click, without having to connect up your device every time.

Some of my favorite apps are ShiftyAxel's WiFi file share app, 72ka's Google Maps and the Theme Manager.

I guarantee you'll find a lot of stuff to play with once you get the phone in your hands

P.S. If you don't like something, chances are there's a patch for it already, if not, ask around and make a request. Bugs and missing features are a pretty universal thing that no one disagrees about, so sooner or later someone will always try to get them sorted out
Awsome! I am really excited now one ladt thing..to get PreWare and QuickInstall..do i just locate a link and download? Or do i connect via usb to my computer? I cant wait to start tinkering!!
Old 11/18/2012, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
It's homebrew galore around here, though things have been a bit slow. I think more goes on at the TouchPad side (webOS 3.0 and LunaCE compared to webOS 2.x). Themes there are a bunch. Get it all with webOS Quick Install and Preware.
Thank you for the input
Old 11/18/2012, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.crews View Post
Awsome! I am really excited now one last thing..to get PreWare and QuickInstall..do i just locate a link and download? Or do i connect via usb to my computer? I cant wait to start tinkering!!
http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

And if your version of Java is old, just uninstall it and download the latest copy... then just run Quick Install and once the phone is connected, click the globe button on the right to download the app feed and on the left you'll see a search box. Just type "Preware" and click Install. That's it.

Then just open Preware on your phone and search for whatever you need
Old 11/18/2012, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

And if your version of Java is old, just uninstall it and download the latest copy... then just run Quick Install and once the phone is connected, click the globe button on the right to download the app feed and on the left you'll see a search box. Just type "Preware" and click Install. That's it.

Then just open Preware on your phone and search for whatever you need
Seems simple enough! Thank you once again
Old 11/18/2012, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Seems simple enough! Thank you once again
It is. Usually you connect the phone first and then run Quick Install, but for me with the Touchpad, it doesn't get detected properly, so i have to run QI first, THEN connect the Touchpad and click, click, click the Ok button until Quick Install picks it up. But with my Pre Plus, i never have that problem. So it should be easy for you.

Oh, and i forgot.. when you turn on the phone for the first time, if it doesn't show the activation screen where it creates your Palm Profile, you'll need to Doctor the phone to have a clean install. I'll get the download page for different versions of webOS Doctor for you, just in case.

Then, once you are past the profile screen and ready to use the phone, type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart' without quotes. That will bring up the developer mode icon, click on it and enable developer mode. The phone will reboot or not.

THEN you can use Quick Install. I have Developer Mode enabled always, so i forgot about it.

When you connect the USB cable the phone will ask what you want to do... click "just charge"...

BTW, you can also use QuickInstall to do a backup of the global database when you really need to.

Last edited by Remy X; 11/18/2012 at 10:03 PM.
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 11/18/2012, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
It is. Usually you connect the phone first and then run Quick Install, but for me with the Touchpad, it doesn't get detected properly, so i have to run QI first, THEN connect the Touchpad and click, click, click the Ok button until Quick Install picks it up. But with my Pre Plus, i never have that problem. So it should be easy for you.

Oh, and i forgot.. when you turn on the phone for the first time, if it doesn't show the activation screen where it creates your Palm Profile, you'll need to Doctor the phone to have a clean install. I'll get the download page for different versions of webOS Doctor for you, just in case.

Then, once you are past the profile screen and ready to use the phone, type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart' without quotes. That will bring up the developer mode icon, click on it and enable developer mode. The phone will reboot or not.

THEN you can use Quick Install. I have Developer Mode enabled always, so i forgot about it.

When you connect the USB cable the phone will ask what you want to do... click "just charge"...

BTW, you can also use QuickInstall to do a backup of the global database when you really need to.
Wow you have been doing this for way to long ahah. Im going to save this page now so i dont have to keep posting the same stuff. I really havnt been this excited to pick up a new phone in atleast a year. O yea before i forget..the phones is already unlocked but not sure if its at&t or t-mibles bands..should getting 3g be a problem? Not really a big deal im on wifi most of the time...just trying to cover all bases
Old 11/18/2012, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow you have been doing this for way to long ahah. Im going to save this page now so i dont have to keep posting the same stuff. I really havnt been this excited to pick up a new phone in atleast a year. O yea before i forget..the phones is already unlocked but not sure if its at&t or t-mibles bands..should getting 3g be a problem? Not really a big deal im on wifi most of the time...just trying to cover all bases
Skip the at&t and t-mobile confusion i found the answer
Old 11/18/2012, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Glad you found it, but..

T-mobile is upgrading its network to 4G/LTE, so it's switching its HSPA+ band to the other frequency now luckily and i may be able to get 3G signal on my Nokia N900 if i get a sim card for it

So it's good news. Anyhow, i'm glad you're having fun. I've had my Pre+ since spring of '10, on Verizon and my Touchpad since the firesale. Love them both, even as newer and better hardware comes out... i guess i'm one of the webOS diehards who'll only upgrade their hardware when either webOS gets ported to whatever's new, or a native webOS device hits the market... if anything dies, i'll just find a replacement on ebay or build a frankenPre with a Verizon commboard, Pre2 body and the molded plastic screen from the Pre+
Old 11/19/2012, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't know if anyone answered it (I didn't see it skimming) the Pre3 keyboard is awesome, after a year of heavy input I do get some double typed letters, but still far more accurate than a VKB for me.

One caveat, you may find the WiFi to be less than impressive. Over 3+ years and many webOS devices, my Pre3 is by far the worst. Others have reported similar problems, and some folks have had way better experience.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: a.crews
Old 11/19/2012, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

thank you i was looking for an answer regarding the keyboard..and as for wifi im sure ill do alright..there is no way it can be worst than acouple android devices i had
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/25/2012, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Oh and when you connect the cable for quick install select "just charge," NOT usb drive

Derek's Directions for Preware:
How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation

Also you can make your own apps if you cant find something you need with Ares 1.0, I've made a few reference apps with it. Ares 1.0:
Palm - Project Ares

There is also ares 2.0 but have not checked it out since its not simple sign in, you'll have to install it from github:
https://github.com/enyojs/ares-project
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2013, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

well getting the pre 3 fell through. I have just received a pre 2 unlocked. and well I cant get quickinstaller or anything else working on my computer. I have the latest version of java..and all the links I found to download everything I need to crack this bad boy open will let me save everything..but when I attempt to open programs it prompts me to "open" or "save". im lost. all of the info to get things running is pretty straight forward I just can get past downloading and opening programs to run on my computer. any info?
Old 11/27/2013, 01:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Are you on windows? With what program uses your system to open .jar files? It should be java... maybe it helps if you do a right click and have a look in the "run with..." menu. If java is there, use this.

If that doesn't help, you can try it from the command line by running java -jar JAR_FILE.
Of course you have to replace JAR_FILE with the path and name of the jar file you want to run (for example quick install).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2013, 01:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

As you are planning to experiment with ROMs and ports, I assume you are quite familiar with computers. So, I may be completely off the mark here, but the option to open or save usually appears when I attempt to download programs from the internet with my web browser. So, my best guess is that you are browsing your hard drive with a web browser and it is offering to open or save as if the file were still on the web.

Opening files with the operating system file browser would decompress, run etc. or give an error message - maybe telling you that the file is corrupted. But you probably know all this, so I can only suggest you are more specific about what actually happens when you attempt to open or run the downloaded files. What is your computer's operating system?

To add to the answer above, in windows, double clicking a file that your system doesn't recognise will usually produce a list of programs you can try to open it with and yes, you can use the latest Java you have installed to open the .jar files.

Last edited by Preemptive; 11/27/2013 at 02:17 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2013, 03:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Problem with WebOS Quickinstall is mostly the Rights to the folder it is installed in, at least unter Win7
Mine worked ok from the download folder but didn't work from Programs anymore ...

Hope this helps
Old 11/27/2013, 06:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Problem with WebOS Quickinstall is mostly the Rights to the folder it is installed in, at least unter Win7
Mine worked ok from the download folder but didn't work from Programs anymore ...

Hope this helps
I am running windows 7..and i couldnt get anything to work from the download folder. I'll keep at it though. Thank you
Old 11/27/2013, 06:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Are you on windows? With what program uses your system to open .jar files? It should be java... maybe it helps if you do a right click and have a look in the "run with..." menu. If java is there, use this.

If that doesn't help, you can try it from the command line by running java -jar JAR_FILE.
Of course you have to replace JAR_FILE with the path and name of the jar file you want to run (for example quick install).
Yea i am on windows 7. I will try to run it using java..i actually havnt tried that method yet. I will keep you posted. Btw yes it is a JAR FILE

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0