webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > noobie here
noobie here
Like Tree3Likes

Old 11/27/2013, 07:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

well I jumped back on my computer and retraced my steps. I tried opening the .jar file using java..i encountered 2 problems. one was when I clicked the download to open it..the command prompt open for a split second and then closed. the second was after the window closed it said "this is not a valid windows32 program" never seen this happen before. I attempted to rename and move the downloaded file into other folders..again that didn't work.

so far I know I have a pc running windows 7..with the latest java. I have Quickinstall installed on my computer..and I also installed Preware..which also didn't open. I am obviously missing something..but beats me as to what it is. thanks again guys
a.crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2013, 01:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Nono, Preware goes on the device... can't run on your computer.

So basically it seems that jar files are not correctly connected to java, right? Did you try the command line I wrote above? => Type "cmd" in your start menu, that should reveal the command line tool, run it. Browse to your download folder and type in (you'll have to either rename quickinstall before or adjust the line according to your filename):
Code:
java -jar quickinstall.jar
Issue is that you can't just say "open with..." and then browse and select the java.exe, because it needs this additional -jar parameter.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2013, 07:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post

So basically it seems that jar files are not correctly connected to java, right? Did you try the command line I wrote above? => Type "cmd" in your start menu, that should reveal the command line tool, run it. Browse to your download folder and type in (you'll have to either rename quickinstall before or adjust the line according to your filename):
Code:
Issue is that you can't just say "open with..." and then browse and select the java.exe, because it needs this additional -jar parameter.
thank you. sorry I forgot about the command line. and thank you for clearing up the preware issue
Old 11/29/2013, 07:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post

Code:
using the command line worked like a charm!! thank you

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0