webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP hiring additional developers for Open webOS?
HP hiring additional developers for Open webOS?
Like Tree5Likes

Old 11/15/2012, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

More than [new] 50 vacancies, also in China. Did I miss something?
Open webOS :: Jobs
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

It's been mentioned multiple times here, yes. But it never hurts to get more exposure.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Lots of positions :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know if this is a bug. But if you go on redirect and search webOS, there is only 3 position available.
iMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 03:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Seems it's not a bug.
The job is no longer available.
on many pages .
Old 11/16/2012, 03:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Seems it's not a bug.
The job is no longer available.
on many pages .
Why you are sad? If they have assumed all these people, this is a great news for us!
iMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Lots of positions :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
This post makes me wonder what side of the country you may be on currently.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
This post makes me wonder what side of the country you may be on currently.
I'm in Detroit right now, I'll be in CA in mid December. Why do you ask?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 11/16/2012, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I'm in Detroit right now, I'll be in CA in mid December. Why do you ask?
Maybe I'm just making things up in my head, but I swear around when you are in CA or shortly after something new or some news comes out. This could just be my own insanity, but knowing you keep having to come back feels like good things to me.

Plus it's good to hear you are getting steady work!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/16/2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Oh, what news did I miss?
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 11/17/2012, 03:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Seems like there's only one?

Last edited by dkirker; 11/17/2012 at 04:07 AM.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 02:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Seems like there's only one?
Hopefully all the positions are taken!!
crazylou78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylou78 View Post
Hopefully all the positions are taken!!
So quickly? A don't think that there are so many active webOS developers/engineers are in the world ((
Old 11/19/2012, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
So quickly? A don't think that there are so many active webOS developers/engineers are in the world ((
Just to be positive, remember don't have to be a webOS developer to develop for/with webOS... really just need to have some web developing background
Old 11/21/2012, 04:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I hear there were quite a few people in the us without jobs.. right? Also the job offerings were around for some months now. I'm pretty positive that quite a lot of them are taken. Someone needs to build webos for that LG television... :-p
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/21/2012, 07:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Just to be positive, remember don't have to be a webOS developer to develop for/with webOS... really just need to have some web developing background
Unless you're working on the underlying components of the OS itself, which involve lower-level languages such as C/C++ and developing against hardware interfaces along with significant experience with Linux. That's very different than just having some web development background and requires a seriously good skill set well beyond mere HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
Old 11/21/2012, 11:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Unless you're working on the underlying components of the OS itself, which involve lower-level languages such as C/C++ and developing against hardware interfaces along with significant experience with Linux. That's very different than just having some web development background and requires a seriously good skill set well beyond mere HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
And someone who could get a job coding for HP/Palm/webOS with knowledge of JS/HTML/etc could never code C/C++/Objective C/etc....

Oh and have you heard of WebOS Ports? Not sure if you know from your post, they aren't HP employees and coding at that hardware level you are speaking of... Thanks though for clarifying...
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 11/23/2012, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
And someone who could get a job coding for HP/Palm/webOS with knowledge of JS/HTML/etc could never code C/C++/Objective C/etc....

Oh and have you heard of WebOS Ports? Not sure if you know from your post, they aren't HP employees and coding at that hardware level you are speaking of... Thanks though for clarifying...
I know plenty that have gone both routes: C/C++ down to web development, and those that've taken the initiative of going from web development to C/C++ (or other low-level) development.

The latter, though is much more difficult and rare (and I've known far fewer of these people) due to the level of computer theory and device management involved whereas in web development many of your lower-level functions (garbage collection, memory management, driver interfacing) are done for you by way of the browser, which abstracts most of that away. Web development is something anyone can jump into and learn a basic level of relatively quickly if they're logical and analytical; C/C++ and other low-level languages aren't that easy by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want a glaring example of this, look how few (if any) webOS developers are doing truly native raw Obj-C (iOS) or Java (Android) ports of their apps as opposed to just using Enyo + PhoneGap (or just PhoneGap). Chances are, the people doing the porting in webOS Ports knew C/C++ well before (or even alongside) web development; JavaScript is a hell of a lot easier to take on if you know C/C++, but not the other way around. And that's kinda the point I was getting at.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dignitary; 11/23/2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11/23/2012, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

@dignitary,

There's also another difference. When a guy is working on C/C++ code, he only needs to know a handful of compiler bugs and quirks, so theory goes a long way. In web development however, theory doesn't always equal fact, and W3C recommendations are just that, recommendations. The code gets interpreted by a number of different browsers, and versions thereof, not to mention add-ons such as screenreaders for the blind. There are bugs that almost defy logic and absolutely **** off the theory-driven programmer.

Web development takes patience, logic, and sometimes more patience with the bugs, although browsers are becoming more standardized with each day. Compiled code takes concentration and attention to detail. Both take a good understanding of the API and environment at hand.

I don't mean to argue with what you say, just to add to it. There are many people i met who would much rather work on something predictable and who avoided web dev work at all costs for those exact reasons.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/01/2012, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

The webos jobs page at has been restocked with 41 positions open
https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/2...on=59160160077
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and RumoredNow like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0