webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS on Touchpad
Open webOS on Touchpad
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By webOSnomad
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 2 Post By geekpeter

Old 11/13/2012, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is anyone porting Open WebOS to Touchpad , please say yes :-)
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Open webOS is for other devices, from what I have seen no need for open webOS on TouchPad.

webOS CE (Community Edition) is what you are looking for for the TouchPad. At this point this has mainly manifested itself as LunaCE, which is the modified version of the open sourced LunaSysMgr. LunaCE is currently in Alpha and Beta states and not in the public feeds of Preware.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

To add on (and this has been asked and answered before); Why would you want OpenwebOS on a TouchPad? It means you lose functionality as Palm profile, Synergy, and a few other goodies would disappear.
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 11/13/2012, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks webOSnomad, meant to mention that then got distracted with my CE explanation
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
To add on (and this has been asked and answered before); Why would you want OpenwebOS on a TouchPad? It means you lose functionality as Palm profile, Synergy, and a few other goodies would disappear.
So maybe not all of OpenwebOS then, but migrate the parts that have been updated that will not affect some of the back end services, like the new Linux kernel, the new WebKit, maybe a calendar app that doesn't lose the ability to sync with Google when it gets confused.
jbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbates View Post
So maybe not all of OpenwebOS then, but migrate the parts that have been updated that will not affect some of the back end services, like the new Linux kernel, the new WebKit, maybe a calendar app that doesn't lose the ability to sync with Google when it gets confused.
I'm going to shout the word "drivers" now. There's still the problem of getting device drivers to work properly.
(I've noticed there is Qualcomm code for the wireless chip in the 3.0.5 open source kernel patch. Is that code actually open source?)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 02:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
... like the new Linux kernel,
Which needs new drivers for all stuff. I guess that won't happen.

Quote:
... the new WebKit...,
Which is like the whole webOS (i.e. LunaSysMgr)... would be great. Maybe someone finds a way to get that working with the older kernels.. maybe not. But that would be close to open webos on TP.

Quote:
maybe a calendar app that doesn't lose the ability to sync with Google when it gets confused.
here you are talking about the synergy plugin that is, as mentioned above, not included in open webos (because it contains proprietary code from google). Hopefully people write a new synergy plugin for google and open webos. From what I see the synergy stuff did not change very much in open webos, so maybe that could work on old webos... but don't hold your breath for that. Open webos still is missing much more essential stuff, before we get to such things. :-(

But you can try the new memos app in the woce beta feeds. This works quite good on my TP (apart from a little laggy pane sliding) and would be one first step to profit from open webos porting efforts.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The new WebKit is already coming. Forgot his name, but a developer here is working on porting Isis to the Touchpad which relies on the new WebKit so that'll come eventually.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 07:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, but as a standalone browser... WebKit in webOS is not just the browser but it's deeply integrated into LunaSysMgr and running all your (web)-apps. That is the real idea of the OS... and even if you get to run Isis as standalone browser on a TP, then that would help you browsing (with the cost of additional program overhead) but it won't help you running your apps more smoothly as would help an updated WebKit in LunaSysMgr like in open webos.
So there is different things that people want to accomplish.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Yeah, but as a standalone browser... WebKit in webOS is not just the browser but it's deeply integrated into LunaSysMgr and running all your (web)-apps. That is the real idea of the OS... and even if you get to run Isis as standalone browser on a TP, then that would help you browsing (with the cost of additional program overhead) but it won't help you running your apps more smoothly as would help an updated WebKit in LunaSysMgr like in open webos.
So there is different things that people want to accomplish.
According to dkirker (that's the guy I meant) he IS going to gives Isis+new WebKit on our current webOS.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/13/2012, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
According to dkirker (that's the guy I meant) he IS going to gives Isis+new WebKit on our current webOS.
oh the godly praise he would or likely will get for that from our small community of geeks if he succeeds.

Still amazed even now from a lot of things we get from our talented group of devs, even listening to some of the ideas they have is pretty exciting.

i now have a pre3, 2 touchpads (more en route), an ipad3, 3 android tablets (7" and 8" chineese models) and a defunct android phone, and the touchpads are still my main "more useful" device even with the "new" stuff coming out, the new stuf still has flaws or miss features i "want" and in a presented/useable way i like.

so yeah im always glad to hear of news liek this, even if it doesnt happen, its still exciting hearing its maybe possible.

Last edited by geekpeter; 12/13/2012 at 01:37 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Vistaus like this.
Old 12/16/2012, 11:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
That would be amazing!!! I hope he is able to do it!

Coming back to OP's question, I THINK running Open webOS on the Touchpad MIGHT actually be possible if you use the method for spinning a build on top of a Ubuntu base ... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how the Nook Colour is able to run Open webOS?

It def won't be perfect though, because as everyone has said, OWOS is actually missing quite a lot of functionality.. that and I'm not sure what state efforts to port Ubuntu to the Touchpad are in (HP TouchPad Native Ubuntu 12.04 (WiFi, Bluetooth, Freedreno) - YouTube), and whether they are even ongoing..

One thing that I'm not sure of myself is if functionally, there is any difference between the Ubuntu and OE-based versions of OWOS.. because as I understand it, the Ubuntu version is essentially lunasysmgr on top of Ubuntu.. but it looks functional enough?

Having said all this, I haven't found the time to give any of the above a crack!

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

dr3wster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 04:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

What's OWOs? N ur wrong!
kussface1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0