webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > where is my dedicated webOS music device(think ipod touch)
where is my dedicated webOS music device(think ipod touch)
Like Tree4Likes

Old 11/09/2012, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Someone needs to create a dedicated webOS music device (ipod touch style), im not huge on carrying multiple devices("mp3" player and phone), but i also dont like my phone battery dying cause im listening to music on the metro and on long trips.

We still have our app cat, get jar, and others and if OpenMobile do their thing, you'd be able to play games too, while phone battery still juiced for calls, texting and the like.

WebOs will then be in the hands of a few thousand others, and this could also help influence the switch to a webOS phone if any existed.
retroblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Many would argue that their webOS device has long sense turned into a dedicated "iPod touch style" device.

I have more than enough webOS devices around for the wife and I to use as dedicated music/game/wifi devices. Though we both still use webOS devices as our daily phones.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

You could buy a CDMA Pixi, those are going for about $5 on eBay nowadays. They are really pretty good music players because they don't weigh anything.
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you go Pixi, go for the + so you have WiFi

The Veer is also weightless and better specd

Pre2 would be the best if you really want games.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/09/2012, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
If you go Pixi, go for the + so you have WiFi

The Veer is also weightless and better specd
what is the difference in the amount of space available vs the Pixi+?
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pixi, Pixi+, and Veer are all 8GB I think. One problem with the Veer is you need the little magnetic headset dongle, while the Pixi's have a regular 3.5mm headphone port. Also, Pixi's have a replaceable battery which are easy to find (same as the Centro).
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get a sansa. Install rockbox. Nothing on WebOS can touch it yet.
Old 11/09/2012, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwrt View Post
Pixi, Pixi+, and Veer are all 8GB I think. One problem with the Veer is you need the little magnetic headset dongle, while the Pixi's have a regular 3.5mm headphone port. Also, Pixi's have a replaceable battery which are easy to find (same as the Centro).
Good point about the adapter, if you only use it with one set of plugin headphones you could leave it plugged to the headphones.

I use BT quite a bit, so in general not a worry for me, that's why I didn't even think of it.

Veer is 8 gigs, a relatively fresh install, with a few apps and my facebook and google mail and calendar synced I am at 5.7 gigs available on this device.
Old 11/09/2012, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

And if you use a 2.x device, you'll likely have to disable voicedial so it doesn't keep stopping the music and showing the voicedial screen. It may be a 2.2.x only thing, but I can't remember for sure, except that it was sure annoying.

Other than that, I use a webOS device for playing music.. sometimes it's my daily driver, sometimes it's a spare.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

What are you talking about with the voice dial? Don't believe I have had that problem, I listen to podcasts daily no issues
Old 11/09/2012, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was sad to see everyone abandon the non-smartphone market, essentially leaving it for Apple. What I did was take a webOS phone and bypassed activation.

But, webOS 2.x's Media Indexer has issues, which can be a deal-breaker for such a music-oriented use
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
What are you talking about with the voice dial? Don't believe I have had that problem, I listen to podcasts daily no issues
Every time I plugged an aux cable into my Pre2 while listening to music, the voice dial app would open and the music would stop. Even if I closed it, it would keep popping open and stopping the music. There is a thread or two about it and I believe the intructions to disable it are on the webosinternals wiki.

Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Old 11/09/2012, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I was sad to see everyone abandon the non-smartphone market, essentially leaving it for Apple. What I did was take a webOS phone and bypassed activation.

But, webOS 2.x's Media Indexer has issues, which can be a deal-breaker for such a music-oriented use
I agree about the music indexer works(organizing the media) on the WebOS v.2.1 its not there yet with the capability of the big music players likes the Apple's iPhone/iPod line. I had used my Palm Pre 2 as a music player(not one of the best) of the experiences and its feature not rich as the way you handle them on Apple's devices. On my iPod Touch 4th with iTunes integration its unmatched by any company in the world, and its voice control services (combined with genius playlist) one of the best music players. And it's sad that even Palm former CEO Jon Rubinstein who worked at Apple's ipod products, at least match some features of the iPod into WebOS.
Old 11/10/2012, 04:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

On the bright side, my year and a half old iPod's battery is now working for less time than a webOS phone does, so I guess I have no reason not to use a spare webOS device for a music player .. except not being able to have 2 phones on one account, and that the music player app blows.

I still need to get around to redesigning the UI for XO .. sigh.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Carrying two extra charged batteries with you would less cumbersome than carrying two devices.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/10/2012, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
On the bright side, my year and a half old iPod's battery is now working for less time than a webOS phone does, so I guess I have no reason not to use a spare webOS device for a music player .. except not being able to have 2 phones on one account, and that the music player app blows.

I still need to get around to redesigning the UI for XO .. sigh.
Use remix, been using it forever.... then again most of my music ends up being streamed or non music podcasts
Old 11/10/2012, 05:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Every time I plugged an aux cable into my Pre2 while listening to music, the voice dial app would open and the music would stop...
I can't remember when was the last time I plugged a cable into my phone.
Charging/syncing/music => Glad I don't have an eyePhone.

EDIT: OK my daughter told me you can now sync via Wifi on the eyePhone and I know bluetooth works as well. Sorry.

Last edited by somline; 11/10/2012 at 05:41 PM.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/10/2012, 06:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
I can't remember when was the last time I plugged a cable into my phone.
Charging/syncing/music => Glad I don't have an eyePhone.

EDIT: OK my daughter told me you can now sync via Wifi on the eyePhone and I know bluetooth works as well. Sorry.
Aux cable goes in the headphone jack. No BT audio for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Old 11/10/2012, 06:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Aux cable goes in the headphone jack. No BT audio for me.
You should try it. It's cheap E.g Sony Ericsson MW600. You can connect any Headphone to it.
Old 11/10/2012, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
You should try it. It's cheap E.g Sony Ericsson MW600. You can connect any Headphone to it.
Yup also got it and I'm very happy with it. Added bonus is built-in FM tuner as well :-) Bypasses my Veer 2.2.4 stereo issue ;-)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0