webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > So what can I do with Open webOS exactly?
So what can I do with Open webOS exactly?

Old 11/08/2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was finally able to compile and run Open webOS in an Ubuntu VM on my Mac last night -- the first time I tried to do so, I wasn't so fortunate. After booting the OS, I poked around to see how it compared to my 3.0.5 Touchpad.

Overall the OS feels the same, as I expect it would. However, I find it to be definitely lacking in areas. After viewing other threads in this forum, I saw that the issues with the browser, lack of and App Catalog, lack of Synergy in apps, etc. were known and documented.

Without the features we've come to expect, exactly what use is Open webOS to anyone who's actually made the effort to port it to another platform/device? And how would one go about overcoming these shortcomings?

It's been mentioned on this site that the Professional version includes all that we are used to with webOS. However, since the Pro is not available to the average user, the basic version of Open webOS itself seems less useful than the development VMs we received with the original webOS SDK.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by bikeguychicago; 11/08/2012 at 04:15 PM.
bikeguychicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Right now it's really just a hacker's OS. It's only the core OS features, and not enough to be actually useful as a daily system. Until that time, unless you're a developer, there's no point in trying Open webOS. If you'd like to try making an Enyo 2 app and seeing how well it'll work, you can use this.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

To answer your question...
For the commercial user: nothing. Because it is nowhere near usable for a customer who just wants to buy a phone and use an OS and some kind of app store/catalog/playstore thing.
For a company: nothing yet, as there are no apps, no services, not anything important whatsoever. If a company needs a fallback szenario for their standard OS (like Android or Win8), webOS might be interesting, but only the professional version.
So far only LG seems interested and only for their new SmartTV generation. For that they are willing to spend the resources for OWOS professional and invest into all the adaption and configuration as well as necessary apps etc...

So, yes. The normal, free OpenWebOS is for the enthusiast, who likes to hack and fiddle around with things and tweak an os into doing things.
Old 11/09/2012, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, you can do anything that you'd like with it. However, if you're not into programming, or device porting, you won't find that to be terribly useful to you at this time.

Theoretically, you should be able to install and run most any webOS app that doesn't require Mojo to operate, but about all I've seen people actually using it for is to run the email client. (several people in my office use the webOS email client on desktop)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0