webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP doing more for the Linux community
HP doing more for the Linux community
Like Tree5Likes

Old 11/13/2012, 04:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You can actually use Enyo with Phonegap too, so that's not an excuse Enyo is lighter, offers better cross-platform development and is easier to learn compared to jQuery (Mobile) is from what I gathered from different sources.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 03:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Never really used jQuery,... but enyo really is easy to learn. And it seems that HP is really pushing enyo forward. I'm not really sure why.... but it gets much more attention than open webos, from what I see.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 10:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
You can actually use Enyo with Phonegap too, so that's not an excuse Enyo is lighter, offers better cross-platform development and is easier to learn compared to jQuery (Mobile) is from what I gathered from different sources.
One of the reasons Enyo apps aren't more popular is because users have come to expect in large part that apps they use (outside of gaming, mostly) will use at least some of the interface standards the powers that be for each platform have defined. Enyo doesn't play that game very well; look at the released Enyo apps on other platforms to see just how largely inflexible its in-built aesthetics are. I'd love to see a well-crafted Enyo app use Android's design language, or for that matter iOS's, as that will contribute much more to its success as an OSS front-end app framework.

Also, jQuery is about as easy as it gets, whether mobile or the standard flavor. Most anyone I know who's ever touched JavaScript can code a basic app within a day, and best of all, jQuery is also largely platform and browser agnostic (except for much older versions of IE).

Not saying Enyo doesn't have its place, but I think it's really struggling to find it outside of webOS where the design aesthetic already fits and exists.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 10:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Enyo is lighter, offers better cross-platform development...
I also have a problem with this statement. jQuery Mobile's "A" Grade is substantially larger than Enyo's entire support list by a dozen miles and best of all, it only takes 30 seconds to prove that fact.

Compare:
jQuery Mobile Platform Support: Mobile Graded Browser Support | jQuery Mobile
Enyo Platform Support: Supported Platforms | Enyo JS

Please stop spreading the idea that Enyo's better in this respect. it isn't. Not even in the same league. And the grand irony? jQuery Mobile supports more webOS versions in its "A" grade than Enyo does as a whole. Seriously.

jQuery Mobile with all the bells and whistles is 2.8MB vs Enyo's 2.4MB, which isn't a substantial difference.

If you want to put them on a level playing field, compare platform support and performance. Until someone can punch those performance numbers, all you've got to seriously consider is platform support, and jQuery Mobile handily wins.

Last edited by dignitary; 11/15/2012 at 10:45 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0