webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > open webOS tablets
open webOS tablets

Old 11/02/2012, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

hello,

I was wondering what would be required to get open webOS working on new tablet device's. Could you just use any android device?

I did some research and came across this article, http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-tablets-...13-2062304640/ is that good news for the future of open webOS?

thanks
rbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

If the tablet is a fully open device and not locked down in any way, I'm sure porting webOS to it is possible. I think this is why they chose the Galaxy Nexus to start with. But before they go porting it to other devices, they need to get it working right on one device first. It may take a while but once they get everything right, I'm sure we will start seeing it on other devices.
Old 11/02/2012, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

if their totally successful using a nexus device, then perhaps other nexus types then id happily bed down with samsung to aquire an up to date webOS device once my touchpad eventually dies a horrible death or the open webOS tablet port offered me more, whichever happens first.
Old 11/02/2012, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
if their totally successful using a nexus device, then perhaps other nexus types then id happily bed down with samsung to aquire an up to date webOS device once my touchpad eventually dies a horrible death or the open webOS tablet port offered me more, whichever happens first.
The problem is that nexus doesn't belong to samsung, it belongs to google. The original nexus device, the nexus one, was produced by htc.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
The problem is that nexus doesn't belong to samsung, it belongs to google. The original nexus device, the nexus one, was produced by htc.
It doesnt matter who made them. Nexus devices are usually fully open devices. Thats how Google does it.
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 11/02/2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Google likes to jump around amongst all the hardware makers --- and they all use different chipsets. Sure open webos is going to boot on these devices, but it is going to be without hardware acceleration.

HTC Nexus One --- Qualcomm Snapdragon
Samsung Nexus S --- Samsung SoC
Samsung Galaxy Nexus --- TI OMAP 4460
LG Nexus 4 --- Qualcomm Krait
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Must admit, the Nexus 7 n Nexus 10 tablets do look very interesting, both on their own and as potential ports
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
Must admit, the Nexus 7 n Nexus 10 tablets do look very interesting, both on their own and as potential ports
nexus 7 would be great due to its low price
rbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Many 7" cheap chinese tablests also have full source code released and high end specs and screen.
Android Tablet Forum : Forums covering all Android Tablets
Firepower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 07:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Many 7" cheap chinese tablests also have full source code released and high end specs and screen.
Android Tablet Forum : Forums covering all Android Tablets
The Ainol Novo 7 Series Tablets are opensource and allready run custom roms or even full ubuntu system.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...l-cpu-gpu.html

Here is a thread about the novo 7 fire, but the same soc is used in many other tablets by ainol (like ELF II, Aurora II, Crystal and so on). I got myself a crystal a few days ago and have CM10 running fine. For the Price (arround 100eur) its a great device, sure it lacks stuff like BT, GPS or 3G but combined with USB host you can add those features quite cheap. The Build quality is very good for a device at such a price and it also very powerfull (a bit more than the Galaxy Nexus for example). I would love to see open WebOS running on this device in the future as dualboot option.
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

I love WebOS, but I am not sure I'd be buying a tablet with a fully functional OS to put a newly released open source OS in.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0