webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Best Screen for Open webOS Slab phones
Best Screen for Open webOS Slab phones
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By boovish

Old 11/01/2012, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I was looking around when I remembered about Tactus Technology (:: Tactus Technology ::) And I thought This would be perfect for a webOS phone.
boovish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I was looking around when I remembered about Tactus Technology (:: Tactus Technology ::) And I thought This would be perfect for a webOS phone.
Perhaps for displaying braille, but for me personally that would be just creepy. Reminds me of the tactile "p*rnography" magazine for the blind: Braille p*rnographic magazine launched for the blind - Telegraph

However this would be perfect as the screen for the LG webOS TV's remote control....

For a regular mobile phone, i'd prefer the tactile screen that was written up in Time magazine (i'll need to find it), where vibration is used to make its surface feel rough, and electrical charge is used to make it feel wet, so it could display a variety of textures...

Edit:

Found it: The 50 Best Inventions - TIME (but don't bother clicking now, the quote below is all there is)

Quote:
Finnish company Senseg's E-Sense technology enables users to not just touch pictures on screens but actually feel them. Tixels or tactile pixels simulate a host of textures, from dry and wet to rough and smooth, using electrical fields and vibrations. Theoretically, the interface could work on screens as small as a smart phone or as large as a movie screen.
Go here:
Senseg Technology*-*Senseg

Last edited by Remy X; 11/01/2012 at 10:31 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boovish likes this.
Old 11/02/2012, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The only problem is that it would consume lots of power in use. But that does sound really cool to have
boovish is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 11/02/2012, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

this looks so sweet. I would love to have this.
Two Outta Three! - A coin flip game
Chore Tracker Pro - A chore organizing app
Peek-A-Dash - A tumblr dashboard client that runs in a multitasking system popup

Donate link to support my work
thricetwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
The only problem is that it would consume lots of power in use. But that does sound really cool to have
actually their white-paper claims only a tiny amount of power is needed to raise the buttons, and once raised they consume no additional power even when being used.

The big downside I see to this is that the button layout has to be pre-defined before manufacturing and can't be changed later. So multiple sized keyboard would be impossible, as would custom layouts. you can have multiple groups of buttons though which can be activated separately or together, so careful planning would allow both portrait and landscape layouts, and alternate reduced layouts like a dial-pad. But once manufactured, nothing could ever be changed.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
yep. bye bye battery!

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0