webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS Browser
Open webOS Browser
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By dkirker

Old 10/29/2012, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Open webOS needs a fully up-to-date browser that allows updates as web standards improve and features are added. Is this also being worked on? The browser is the most important app, as shown with chrome browser and chrome books even becoming a defacto OS.

This is one problem with the HP Touchpad, browser is falling behind current web standards and needs updating. I hope open webOS can bring a up-to-date browser for Open webOS and webOS CE.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Short answer: Yes. It's called Isis. Search the forum for more info.
beeberdopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know what you expect him to find searching? Alll the discussions I have seen on Isis is dated.
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

found this, dated on home page march 2012, with webOS being released in September I expect it to have browser update to match, at least a update to home page. Looks like yorxs is correct not much news.
latest browser code = check if facebook app is installed, 7 months ago, lol
other code dated 1 month ago in other library's is correct spelling mistakes or makefiles syntax.
not a lot happening.

Isis Project

here is the about info, Netscape Plugins? I thought Netscape obsolete, and was a code mess, so Firefox was created to replace it.
I don't mean to disrespect any dev working on this, I hope it develops into a modern browser like chrome.

Isis Browser is a modern web browser that picks up where the webOS browser left off. It's based on a bleeding-edge QtWebKit engine featuring the most recent web standards. It delivers a blazing fast JavaScript engine and supports Netscape plugins. Isis Browser's simple and functional interface is written using the Enyo JavaScript framework.
Isis Browser uses a client-server model that separates the rendering process from the user interface. This architectural approach delivers smooth scrolling and a responsive user experience. Isis Browser uses the highly portable Qt framework with the goal of delivering a cross-platform browser in the future.

Currently, Isis Browser can be compiled and deployed to the webOS platform. The high-level development goals are:

Implement essential features
Improve performance and stability
Adhere to web standards
Deliver new user experience innovations
The Isis Browser is released under the Apache 2.0 license. The components WebKit, Qt, and NPAPI headers are released under their existing licenses. Please see the source for details.

Last edited by Firepower; 10/29/2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10/29/2012, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

your best bet for keeping up to date on any bleeding edge components is to follow progress on github:
https://github.com/openwebos
https://github.com/isis-project
PrplHaz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrplHaz4 View Post
your best bet for keeping up to date on any bleeding edge components is to follow progress on github:
https://github.com/openwebos
https://github.com/isis-project
thanks for the links, https://github.com/isis-project is where I got the dates from.

Can the browser even run on Touchpad? Is this same as QT test browser in pre-ware?
Old 10/29/2012, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
thanks for the links, https://github.com/isis-project is where I got the dates from.

Can the browser even run on Touchpad? Is this same as QT test browser in pre-ware?
Yes, the new browser is capable of running on the TouchPad under version of WebOS 3.0.5, that according to the HP statement that they released earlier this year. There was a old video on the site on YouTube that highlights some of the features of the Isis Engine Browser running on the HP Touchpad, yet it hasn't been official release of it to the TouchPad(I heard that the Homebrew hacking community is working on it).

Old 10/29/2012, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Geezle thats hilariously fast.
furball zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

its been almost 10 months from when this was first announced, I would have expected alpha and beta versions released to webOS community for testing, bug fixes, and feedback, even Firefox and chrome are continuously updated in the background to correct bugs , security and improvements.

just strange that's its not getting more interest. Browser and html is heart of webOS.
I have been amazed at the talent and ideas that the community has brought to webOS fixing and adding many things that HP should have implemented. I sure we could do same with the browser, I hear many complaints in forum about current browser being dated.

or is it because the browser is the heart heart of webOS its already completed in open webOS?
Can't see the forest because of the trees so to speak.
Old 10/30/2012, 01:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Found a donation post to try and get this happening.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3298677

and here is a previous post about Isis browser.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ent-webos.html
Old 10/30/2012, 03:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

As far as I know....

dkirker is working on getting this up and running. Once he has things in a far enough state he'll put everything online and the community can have at it. The only thing that can help speed things up right now is that he finds more free time (paying jobs come first) or maybe we can all just donate a ton of energy drinks to him.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'll take energy drinks in the form of caffeine!! :P

Yeah, I've had a few minor set backs. Mostly time related. Anyway, back to coding!
Old 10/31/2012, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I'll take energy drinks in the form of caffeine!! :P

Yeah, I've had a few minor set backs. Mostly time related. Anyway, back to coding!
Hurry up please , I'm kidding seriously. Take your time(we all know we got real life that get's in the way of things), but please we really want that QTWebkit badly.
Old 11/01/2012, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Hurry up please , I'm kidding seriously. Take your time(we all know we got real life that get's in the way of things), but please we really want that QTWebkit badly.
Oh trust me. I want it sooooo badly, too. And on my Pre3, as well... I tried filling out a request for more info form on the Academy of Art SF website, and it just failed on my Pre3. The iPhone wasn't a hell of a lot better.... but, if I can beat it on webOS, oooohhhhh babbyyyy!!!
Old 12/12/2012, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

dkirker, any updates on this? Are you at the stage of alpha testers wanted yet? I'm sure you could find a bunch of people willing to be on the bleeding edge for the promise of a better browser.
jbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 07:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I would be one of those alpha testers when it comes into alpha.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0