webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG E960/Nexus 4?
LG E960/Nexus 4?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 10/27/2012, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

LG E960 support manuals confirm Nexus 4 name, 8GB and 16GB configurations -- Engadget

That image on there looks pretty average but the thought of a new Nexus device coming from LG now is much much more interesting after hearing their smart tv plans. Do all Nexus devices require open-source support like the Galaxy Nexus? Could you imagine? It's got the induction coil right there and everything.

Anyone want to copy that diagram and photoshop the webOS logo on there?

2013 may be an interesting year!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2012, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

A phone with 8 or 16Gb of unexpandable memory, wireless charging… sounds familiar for some reason
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Old 10/28/2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

this looks familiar too

rumored to be the wireless charging unit for the Nexus 4
If Google's Nexus line get wireless charging, will Apple follow suit?
methods is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Old 10/29/2012, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Death to Google!!!!!!!!!!
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
A phone with 8 or 16Gb of unexpandable memory, wireless charging… sounds familiar for some reason
Yes it's the lumia 920! :-)

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/29/2012 at 10:19 PM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

They also cloned exhibition mode: "Android Daydream" Android - What's New
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methods View Post
this looks familiar too
Click to view quoted image

rumored to be the wireless charging unit for the Nexus 4
If Google's Nexus line get wireless charging, will Apple follow suit?
No mention of webOS or Palm touchstone in that article (only in comments)...how rude. It was written as if Nexus is the innovator...MEDIA BIAS!

Oh well, there IS a difference with their puck...the angle is 1.2 degrees flatter than the Palm version...wow...that is innovation...(note: I have no idea whether there is a difference in the angle of the charging surface or not...I'm just being snarky...sorry...]

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Last edited by Rockbeast; 10/29/2012 at 12:14 PM.
Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 10/29/2012, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The puck is flatter, but so is the back of a traditional slab phone...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
No mention of webOS or Palm touchstone in that article (only in comments)...how rude. It was written as if Nexus is the innovator...MEDIA BIAS!

Oh well, there IS a difference with their puck...the angle is 1.2 degrees flatter than the Palm version...wow...that is innovation...(note: I have no idea whether there is a difference in the angle of the charging surface or not...I'm just being snarky...sorry...]
I think it's less to do with bias and more to do with just bad journalism. A lot of these tech bloggers have very short memories, very bad research skills, and unrealistic deadlines. I doubt they deliberately excluded mention of Palm's innovation in this area, they probably didn't even know about it. Not that that makes it any more excusable...

(I applaud the editorial gang at webOSNation for bucking the trend and providing strong historical context in their articles.)
Matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rockbeast
Old 10/29/2012, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I think it's less to do with bias and more to do with just bad journalism. A lot of these tech bloggers have very short memories, very bad research skills, and unrealistic deadlines. I doubt they deliberately excluded mention of Palm's innovation in this area, they probably didn't even know about it. Not that that makes it any more excusable...

(I applaud the editorial gang at webOSNation for bucking the trend and providing strong historical context in their articles.)
I agree with this, reminds me of the Best Buy article summer of 2011 about touchpads. One person wrote one article with an anonymous source. In the world of the internet and tech news, nobody could be the one to not run the article so every other tech blog ran a version of the article but every single one of them were merely editorials by that writer at the end referencing back to the All Things D article as the source.

Then all the (mod edit of myself ) folks that wanted to bash webOS used each new article as proof of bad sales and bad blood between HP and BB.

Now back on topic, glad to see more companies embracing inductive charging, can't imagine having to plug all these devices in every freaking day. I love inductive charging so much, so easy with the phones and touchpads to just plop them down at night or when they need to be topped off. Maybe this amazing technology will start seeping in to more manufacturers, it means those that want metal phones won't get inductive charging or lose the metal back for glass or plastic.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 03:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
cgk

What standard (if any) did they go with?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
What standard (if any) did they go with?
Qi.

Source (written by Dieter ) : Google's Wireless Charging Orb for Nexus 4 takes inspiration from Palm's Touchstone | The Verge
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 06:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Nice. I think The Verge is one of those other rare sites that does their homework. Ars Technica, too.
Matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Nice. I think The Verge is one of those other rare sites that does their homework. Ars Technica, too.
Dieter Bohn used to be the Editor-in-Chief of this site, that's why.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 07:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Would love to know if the palm touchstone (puck) will work with this? Or is the Orb using different technology?
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 10:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Different technology.
Old 11/01/2012, 08:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thinking about getting one of these. I don't like the random shut downs with the pre 3 on T-Mobile. Once they port to one nexus is it going to be just as complicated to port to the 4.?
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Different hardware, so yup. Every device will be like that, requiring its own effort, just like it is with CyanogenMod and Android.
Old 11/02/2012, 02:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

The new Nexus 4 is using a qualcomm chipset, is that one as open as the TI OMAP series? I heard that qualcomm socs in other devices are that open as the ti chips, will this change for this device because of being part of nexus line?
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 02:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It looks like newer Qualcomm chips are more open, but the older ones in our Veers, Pre3's and Touchpads are not :'(

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0