webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG E960/Nexus 4?
LG E960/Nexus 4?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 11/03/2012, 12:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
It looks like newer Qualcomm chips are more open, but the older ones in our Veers, Pre3's and Touchpads are not :'(
do we know how the nvidia tegra 3 open source support compares to qualcomm? That's what the nexus 7 runs which would be pretty great...

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Would love to know if the palm touchstone (puck) will work with this? Or is the Orb using different technology?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Different technology.
You sure about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

Nokia Lumia inductive charging confirmed to work with both phone and TouchPad touchstones.
http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ml#post3362390

Lumia also uses Qi
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/n...-phones-we-go/
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 07:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

Just spotted this - The Nexus 4 has been found to contain 4G LTE hardware. Not activated in this configuration, but it does confirm there's a Qualcomm chip in the phone. We gotta get like 10 of these for the webos-internals team, you know, just to look into...

iFixit tears apart the Nexus 4, finds surprise LTE chip | Ars Technica

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Old 11/17/2012, 11:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Just spotted this - The Nexus 4 has been found to contain 4G LTE hardware. Not activated in this configuration, but it does confirm there's a Qualcomm chip in the phone. We gotta get like 10 of these for the webos-internals team, you know, just to look into...

iFixit tears apart the Nexus 4, finds surprise LTE chip | Ars Technica
The LTE chip isn't part of the SoC, so that doesn't "prove" it's got a Qualcomm chip on its own, even though, yes, it's got a Qualcomm SoC. Check the iFixit teardown.

Nexus 4 Teardown - iFixit

The XDA people in the Nexus 4 forum are 50/50 on whether this will be possible to activate in any way, shape, or form due to licensing and/or technical issues. I have the LG Optimus G on Sprint (basically the same phone, give or take a part or two) and live in an LTE area, so I can attest that if they got it working, it'd rock. The devil will be in the details.

Read the whole thread for the story and current feasibility analysis: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1996994&page=1

Also, even if the Nexus 4 could support LTE, webOS would still need to know what the hell to do with it. Currently, it doesn't.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 03:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
cgk

Picked up a nexus 4 for my partner who was swapping from a blackberry - for the money it's a beast of a phone, I was looking at another windows phone but is the windows phone really 230 better than the nexus? doubtful.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 07:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
Picked up a nexus 4 for my partner who was swapping from a blackberry - for the money it's a beast of a phone, I was looking at another windows phone but is the windows phone really 230 better than the nexus? doubtful.
No, it is not! With nexus you will get at least two years of love from Google in form of support and OS upgrade, and tons of hacks from community. New Win8 devices look nice, but Nexus, my friend, is away to go.
Old 11/18/2012, 11:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
No, it is not! With nexus you will get at least two years of love from Google in form of support and OS upgrade, and tons of hacks from community. New Win8 devices look nice, but Nexus, my friend, is away to go.
It's funny, I've always held to the idea that Android is too complex for 'normal' people but my other half has taken to it with no problems, she just got on with it - the more I play with it, the more I struggle to find a reason to pay double the money for the same functionality - even if i don't buy this nexus and string my lumia 800 a bit longer, I suspect I'll get whatever the next nexus phone is.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 07:14 AM   #28 (permalink)

jelly bean is really pleasant to use. I notice the hspa and 3g lights up in places where the pre3 doesn't on T-Mobile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2012-11-23-16-56-43.jpg (72.4 KB, 35 views) Email Attachment
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 11/27/2012, 01:04 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal62 View Post
jelly bean is really pleasant to use. ...
Yeah, it is good enough. Nowhere near WebOS usability-wise, but ok.
I hate Adobe cancelling Flash support for Jellybean. Makes me feel like a bl**dy i-crap user. Oh, and I already miss my hardware keyboard after typing with the software keyboard on the GS3.
But apart from that, yep, I like Jellybean. Widgets are cool
Old 11/27/2012, 09:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
I hate Adobe cancelling Flash support for Jellybean. Makes me feel like a bl**dy i-crap user.
Get the facts straight.

Adobe didn't "cancel" Flash for Jellybean. Adobe intentionally stopped developing Flash for mobile devices a year ago. The only reason Flash was ever even updated on Android since then was because Google kept compiling the updates themselves, and just like Adobe did, they're finally putting Flash out of its misery.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 04:54 PM   #31 (permalink)

I find that there is a striking resemblance between the Nexus 4 and the leaked WindsorNot device.
immovablesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rookie4sho likes this.
Old 12/17/2012, 01:10 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Get the facts straight.

So what does that change for me being a Jellybean user? Nothing. Where does it leave me as a Jellybean user? No where, except making me feel like an iOS user.
So maybe you are correcting me to show off or something, I wouldn't know. It is neither helpful nor any "new" information.

Helpful would have been the info that there are still ways to get Flash on Jellybean devices, just no reliable ones and flash might probably be unstable.
Here. Enough "facts" for you?

Old 01/01/2013, 12:10 PM   #33 (permalink)

Just got my nexus 4. After my pres 1, 2 and 3 it's quite a shock.

Pluses: Amazing screen, super-fast, good build quality, lots of apps, doesn't get bogged-down with memory leaks and freezes

Minuses: No properly working bluetooth MAP profile so can't SMS from my touchpad (I find this astonishing), no wireless charging orb yet, miss the gestures and the recent-apps view is a pale shadow of stacked cards.

All in all? Two steps forward, one step back. Between the two platforms everything is covered, but each on its own is still missing things.
cymbalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 05:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbalhead View Post
Just got my nexus 4. After my pres 1, 2 and 3 it's quite a shock.

Pluses: Amazing screen, super-fast, good build quality, lots of apps, doesn't get bogged-down with memory leaks and freezes

Minuses: No properly working bluetooth MAP profile so can't SMS from my touchpad (I find this astonishing), no wireless charging orb yet, miss the gestures and the recent-apps view is a pale shadow of stacked cards.

All in all? Two steps forward, one step back. Between the two platforms everything is covered, but each on its own is still missing things.
I agree completely. If we had a magic wand I think it would be interesting to serve up android candy in a webOS wrapper. Let matias bless it and have core apps that follow the webos/enyo design language and give people a good example to follow. That would knock people's socks off... And I think would solve a lot of the problems people have with android.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0