Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It looks like newer Qualcomm chips are more open, but the older ones in our Veers, Pre3's and Touchpads are not :'(
    do we know how the nvidia tegra 3 open source support compares to qualcomm? That's what the nexus 7 runs which would be pretty great...
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Would love to know if the palm touchstone (puck) will work with this? Or is the Orb using different technology?
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Different technology.
    You sure about that?

    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

    Nokia Lumia inductive charging confirmed to work with both phone and TouchPad touchstones.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ml#post3362390

    Lumia also uses Qi
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/n...-phones-we-go/
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #23  
    Just spotted this - The Nexus 4 has been found to contain 4G LTE hardware. Not activated in this configuration, but it does confirm there's a Qualcomm chip in the phone. We gotta get like 10 of these for the webos-internals team, you know, just to look into...

    iFixit tears apart the Nexus 4, finds surprise LTE chip | Ars Technica
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Just spotted this - The Nexus 4 has been found to contain 4G LTE hardware. Not activated in this configuration, but it does confirm there's a Qualcomm chip in the phone. We gotta get like 10 of these for the webos-internals team, you know, just to look into...

    iFixit tears apart the Nexus 4, finds surprise LTE chip | Ars Technica
    The LTE chip isn't part of the SoC, so that doesn't "prove" it's got a Qualcomm chip on its own, even though, yes, it's got a Qualcomm SoC. Check the iFixit teardown.

    Nexus 4 Teardown - iFixit

    The XDA people in the Nexus 4 forum are 50/50 on whether this will be possible to activate in any way, shape, or form due to licensing and/or technical issues. I have the LG Optimus G on Sprint (basically the same phone, give or take a part or two) and live in an LTE area, so I can attest that if they got it working, it'd rock. The devil will be in the details.

    Read the whole thread for the story and current feasibility analysis: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1996994&page=1

    Also, even if the Nexus 4 could support LTE, webOS would still need to know what the hell to do with it. Currently, it doesn't.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,372 Global Posts
    #25  
    Picked up a nexus 4 for my partner who was swapping from a blackberry - for the money it's a beast of a phone, I was looking at another windows phone but is the windows phone really 230 better than the nexus? doubtful.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Picked up a nexus 4 for my partner who was swapping from a blackberry - for the money it's a beast of a phone, I was looking at another windows phone but is the windows phone really 230 better than the nexus? doubtful.
    No, it is not! With nexus you will get at least two years of love from Google in form of support and OS upgrade, and tons of hacks from community. New Win8 devices look nice, but Nexus, my friend, is away to go.
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,372 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    No, it is not! With nexus you will get at least two years of love from Google in form of support and OS upgrade, and tons of hacks from community. New Win8 devices look nice, but Nexus, my friend, is away to go.
    It's funny, I've always held to the idea that Android is too complex for 'normal' people but my other half has taken to it with no problems, she just got on with it - the more I play with it, the more I struggle to find a reason to pay double the money for the same functionality - even if i don't buy this nexus and string my lumia 800 a bit longer, I suspect I'll get whatever the next nexus phone is.
  8. danimal62's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #28  
    jelly bean is really pleasant to use. I notice the hspa and 3g lights up in places where the pre3 doesn't on T-Mobile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dignitary likes this.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by danimal62 View Post
    jelly bean is really pleasant to use. ...
    Yeah, it is good enough. Nowhere near WebOS usability-wise, but ok.
    I hate Adobe cancelling Flash support for Jellybean. Makes me feel like a bl**dy i-crap user. Oh, and I already miss my hardware keyboard after typing with the software keyboard on the GS3.
    But apart from that, yep, I like Jellybean. Widgets are cool
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    I hate Adobe cancelling Flash support for Jellybean. Makes me feel like a bl**dy i-crap user.
    Get the facts straight.

    Adobe didn't "cancel" Flash for Jellybean. Adobe intentionally stopped developing Flash for mobile devices a year ago. The only reason Flash was ever even updated on Android since then was because Google kept compiling the updates themselves, and just like Adobe did, they're finally putting Flash out of its misery.
  11. #31  
    I find that there is a striking resemblance between the Nexus 4 and the leaked WindsorNot device.
    Rookie4sho likes this.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Get the facts straight.

    ...
    So what does that change for me being a Jellybean user? Nothing. Where does it leave me as a Jellybean user? No where, except making me feel like an iOS user.
    So maybe you are correcting me to show off or something, I wouldn't know. It is neither helpful nor any "new" information.

    Helpful would have been the info that there are still ways to get Flash on Jellybean devices, just no reliable ones and flash might probably be unstable.
    Here. Enough "facts" for you?

    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  13. #33  
    Just got my nexus 4. After my pres 1, 2 and 3 it's quite a shock.

    Pluses: Amazing screen, super-fast, good build quality, lots of apps, doesn't get bogged-down with memory leaks and freezes

    Minuses: No properly working bluetooth MAP profile so can't SMS from my touchpad (I find this astonishing), no wireless charging orb yet, miss the gestures and the recent-apps view is a pale shadow of stacked cards.

    All in all? Two steps forward, one step back. Between the two platforms everything is covered, but each on its own is still missing things.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by cymbalhead View Post
    Just got my nexus 4. After my pres 1, 2 and 3 it's quite a shock.

    Pluses: Amazing screen, super-fast, good build quality, lots of apps, doesn't get bogged-down with memory leaks and freezes

    Minuses: No properly working bluetooth MAP profile so can't SMS from my touchpad (I find this astonishing), no wireless charging orb yet, miss the gestures and the recent-apps view is a pale shadow of stacked cards.

    All in all? Two steps forward, one step back. Between the two platforms everything is covered, but each on its own is still missing things.
    I agree completely. If we had a magic wand I think it would be interesting to serve up android candy in a webOS wrapper. Let matias bless it and have core apps that follow the webos/enyo design language and give people a good example to follow. That would knock people's socks off... And I think would solve a lot of the problems people have with android.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions