webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Microsoft Surface
Microsoft Surface
  Reply
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blackfireball5
  • 1 Post By Q-Ball

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/26/2012, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
blackfireball5's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,075
What are the chances that Microsoft's Surface would be able to run Open webOS? Personally, i think this would be a perfect device for a dual boot situation between Windows 8 and webOS.

Anyone know how locked down it is?
__________________
------> New Circle Battery Icon Patch
blackfireball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vmiku914 likes this.
Old 10/26/2012, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
What are the chances that Microsoft's Surface would be able to run Open webOS? Personally, i think this would be a perfect device for a dual boot situation between Windows 8 and webOS.

Anyone know how locked down it is?
You mean the real Windows 8 or the fake Windows 8?
The Surface Pro (not released yet) will run it just like any other PC (since you can install Linux on it) but the standard Surface (RT) won't.
Q-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked by RumoredNow, vmiku914
Old 10/27/2012, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 16
Under "Locked Bootloader" we mean that it uses a technology called UEFI that lets the OS contact with the BIOS without rebooting. So if the OS tells the BIOS "don't let this ***** put a linux pendrive in" the BIOS will do it.
UEFI does more, but this is important for us.
It's really hard to do. Or impossible.
habergowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2012, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by habergowd View Post
Under "Locked Bootloader" we mean that it uses a technology called UEFI that lets the OS contact with the BIOS without rebooting. So if the OS tells the BIOS "don't let this ***** put a linux pendrive in" the BIOS will do it.
UEFI does more, but this is important for us.
It's really hard to do. Or impossible.
Sounds like a rootkit will be needed in order to do what we want
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: zacky59
Old 10/27/2012, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 143
some young intrepid soul will find a way
Kneelbeforezod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 02:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
twack's Avatar
 
Posts: 634
May be able to convert/clone the virtual box vdi file to a hyper-v vhd file and load it as a client virtual machine under the "real" windows 8.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
fxspec06's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,664
you could easily run it in a VM under windows, and it'd run awesome!
__________________
Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
You mean the real Windows 8 or the fake Windows 8?
The Surface Pro (not released yet) will run it just like any other PC (since you can install Linux on it) but the standard Surface (RT) won't.
Q-Ball has the best point here so far.

x86 tablets for full Win 8 are required to be open for new OS and ARM tablets for Win 8RT will be tough to crack.
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
blackfireball5's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
you could easily run it in a VM under windows, and it'd run awesome!
I really think this would be awesome. Only thing is won't it have to be the Pro version? If i understand correctly, only the pro version will be able to run applications like a normal PC. The RT version will only support applications from the Windows store.

Am i correct?
__________________
------> New Circle Battery Icon Patch
blackfireball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0