Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blackfireball5
  • 1 Post By Q-Ball
  1.    #1  
    What are the chances that Microsoft's Surface would be able to run Open webOS? Personally, i think this would be a perfect device for a dual boot situation between Windows 8 and webOS.

Anyone know how locked down it is?
    vmiku914 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    What are the chances that Microsoft's Surface would be able to run Open webOS? Personally, i think this would be a perfect device for a dual boot situation between Windows 8 and webOS.

Anyone know how locked down it is?
    You mean the real Windows 8 or the fake Windows 8?
    The Surface Pro (not released yet) will run it just like any other PC (since you can install Linux on it) but the standard Surface (RT) won't.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Under "Locked Bootloader" we mean that it uses a technology called UEFI that lets the OS contact with the BIOS without rebooting. So if the OS tells the BIOS "don't let this ***** put a linux pendrive in" the BIOS will do it.
    UEFI does more, but this is important for us.
    It's really hard to do. Or impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by habergowd View Post
    Under "Locked Bootloader" we mean that it uses a technology called UEFI that lets the OS contact with the BIOS without rebooting. So if the OS tells the BIOS "don't let this ***** put a linux pendrive in" the BIOS will do it.
    UEFI does more, but this is important for us.
    It's really hard to do. Or impossible.
    Sounds like a rootkit will be needed in order to do what we want
    some young intrepid soul will find a way
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    May be able to convert/clone the virtual box vdi file to a hyper-v vhd file and load it as a client virtual machine under the "real" windows 8.
    you could easily run it in a VM under windows, and it'd run awesome!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
    You mean the real Windows 8 or the fake Windows 8?
    The Surface Pro (not released yet) will run it just like any other PC (since you can install Linux on it) but the standard Surface (RT) won't.
    Q-Ball has the best point here so far.

x86 tablets for full Win 8 are required to be open for new OS and ARM tablets for Win 8RT will be tough to crack.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    you could easily run it in a VM under windows, and it'd run awesome!
    I really think this would be awesome. Only thing is won't it have to be the Pro version? If i understand correctly, only the pro version will be able to run applications like a normal PC. The RT version will only support applications from the Windows store.

Am i correct?