webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG smartTV with webOS Open
LG smartTV with webOS Open
Like Tree72Likes

Old 10/24/2012, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG smartTV with webOS Open

Just posted today on webosnation front page:

Gram working with LG on an Open webOS TV | webOS Nation

If this project works I think it will be a good chance to get ported on LG other devices like smartphones etc.
and if it successful with LG, maybe other OEM like Samsung will take a look as well as others.

yeah I know LG is not the peanut butter company you like, but a start is a start, don`t you think?
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969, Rnp, dr3wster and 6 others like this.
Old 10/24/2012, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

The big question for me is will the netflix, youtube, ect apps be reverse installable on the touchpad since they will be written in enyo.

Old 10/24/2012, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
The big question for me is will the netflix, youtube, ect apps be reverse installable on the touchpad since they will be written in enyo.

YouTube maybe, if they're using HTML5 video. The others, chances are, are using proprietary DRM, etc. So the runtime environment must be the exact same as the TouchPad for the DRM to even have a chance at working. I wonder what processor type TV app platforms run on.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
YouTube maybe, if they're using HTML5 video. The others, chances are, are using proprietary DRM, etc. So the runtime environment must be the exact same as the TouchPad for the DRM to even have a chance at working. I wonder what processor type TV app platforms run on.
"They've also sent multiple LG L9 motherboards (L9 being LG's dual core chipset made specifically for their smart televisions)."
Old 10/24/2012, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

Is there any other solution for this:

There's one hitch the Gram team working on the TV project is working hard to overcome, and that's boot speed. If you've used webOS, you know it can take a long while to boot, even with a beefy processor behind it. One solution being explored by the team is to actually leave the computer half of the TV running and merely switch off the screen off when the TV is turned 'off'.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Isnt there some form of instant on technology out there that can be licensed for this project?
Old 10/24/2012, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Isnt there some form of instant on technology out there that can be licensed for this project?
I think webOS was supposed to be some sort of instant on. After all, HP was thinking of putting it on PCs as a companion to Windows a long time ago.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by Rnp and blackfireball5 like this.
Old 10/25/2012, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
...yeah I know LG is not the peanut butter company you like, but a start is a start, don`t you think?
Says who? I like LG quite a bit and they are my player of choice to adopt webOS for mobile.

Quote:
There's one hitch the Gram team working on the TV project is working hard to overcome, and that's boot speed. If you've used webOS, you know it can take a long while to boot, even with a beefy processor behind it. One solution being explored by the team is to actually leave the computer half of the TV running and merely switch off the screen off when the TV is turned 'off'.
Always on is not without precedent. The Roku box takes a while to boot and the documentation says leave it running.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and jcmarcos like this.
Thanked By: akitayo
Old 10/25/2012, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Always on is not without precedent. The Roku box takes a while to boot and the documentation says leave it running.

If they can get the thing to use very little electricity while in it's "standby" mode, i think that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10/25/2012, 02:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, I don't know if this will prove important but it's the first time that we hear that open webOS will run officially on something. Moreover, this is LG.
At least webOS will continue to live on.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9 and retroblu like this.
Old 10/25/2012, 04:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
At least webOS will continue to live on.
Let's hope so. Projects have been known to be stopped and/or cancelled. Therefore I believe it, when I see it working.
Old 10/25/2012, 05:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sure, this is HUGE news. But I'm worried that our little brave system is unable to make it: For a start, it has nothing on it to serve a television set, and it's user interface has a completely different paragdigm.

So, an enormous task of expansion and enhancement is ahead. But Derek said that they started working on this months ago. That's fantastic.

If webOS can make it, and I'd take it with a pinch of salt or two, we can expect an enormous improvement all over our system: Imagine that, at least, new apps for the fashionable internet TV platforms should be crafted. But not only that, imagine new and updated user interfaces, enhanced kernel and services, and don't forget, floks: Drivers. I suppose LG has to give excellent support for that "L9" dual Cortex A9+MALI 400 chip that ARM has made for them. Information is almost nonexistent.

They already made a first attempt, Google TV based, with little relevance, some months ago. They also have their own TV operating system, which seems not to be any good, but prefer to Google's because of licencing issues.

Let's see if this "I'm going webOS" is no more than an strategy to force Google give them back free licenses. I for one would be very proud to show how my struggling mobile phone helped the TV industry be smarter.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 06:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rnp

Hummm... maybe... a dedicated Remote Control with multitouch? Can use a webOS LG Smartphone as Remote Control?

The most important is: if one use, others can use, too...

Best Regards...
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 10/25/2012, 07:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

LIke most others I think this is great news. It's no guarantee that LG will finally release a webos tv but because of LG's resources, lack of smart tv competititors (google tv has gone nowhere), it is a strong possibility. Remember LG makes lots of stuff including washing machines and refrigerators as well as smart phones. LG hasn't done well with android in terms of market share so why not try a new approach (unlike samsung which is dominating android right now).
I hope there is a trickle down of apps to open webOS. But while open webos is open, what Gram does for LG and other consultees may not be. I can't imagine LG wants to pay Gram to develop apps and then just hand it to other tv players. What do you think? Will there be proprietary stuff that will not be open source?
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

They also make toasters

LG Toasters

Sorry, I had to
Old 10/25/2012, 08:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
They also make toasters

LG Toasters

Sorry, I had to
Sorry, couldn't resist either: This one goes for fellow amigans like geekpeter:

Newtek Video Toaster 4000 (1994 Video)

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Liked by renater and sledge007 like this.
Old 10/25/2012, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Is there any other solution for this:

Well when you think about it many devices don't actually completely shut down any more. Think of your DVR as one, the Nintendo Wii has two off modes, one of which will receive updates and messages and notify you when it has something new by flashing the light around the disc drive. My Samsung surround sound certainly keeps something powered on, because if I actually unplug it I lose all my radio presets and other settings.

Quote:
IIRC HP bought a company that has an instant on linux BIOS long ago, but before dumping webOS. Talk around here was that it would end up powering webOS one day, not sure if they still hold it or have any intention on using it as such.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: akitayo
Old 10/25/2012, 10:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Where did people get the idea for toasters with embedded computers? I'd blame Intel. Intel Education: The Journey Inside: Lesson 2: Four Components of a Computer I look forward to storing terabytes of data on toast one day.
Old 10/25/2012, 10:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
My Samsung surround sound certainly keeps something powered on, because if I actually unplug it I lose all my radio presets and other settings.
Really? For good? That's unbearable!

Quote:
IIRC HP bought a company that has an instant on linux BIOS long ago.
I can't remember now whose poor guy they bought the technology from, all could find now is an article about a boring an vaporous "enterprise initiative" about that.

All in all, having it should be just a small detail (just use hybernation for a decent "instant on" experience) among the huge pile of work to make webOS useful for a television set.

Old 10/25/2012, 10:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Where did people get the idea for toasters with embedded computers? I'd blame Intel. Intel Education: The Journey Inside: Lesson 2: Four Components of a Computer I look forward to storing terabytes of data on toast one day.
@webOStoaster @precentral Here's one more for the growing #webos toaster model lineup Photo - Timothy Dutton | Lockerz

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...s-toaster.html

There's the history
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webOSToaster.jpg (24.0 KB, 25 views) Email Attachment

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0