webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG smartTV with webOS Open
LG smartTV with webOS Open
Like Tree72Likes

Old 11/10/2012, 04:14 AM   #61 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

CES is often for getting a feeling of consumer response to a product, just as much as it is for launching products, or showing off recently released products.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 08:12 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
CES is often for getting a feeling of consumer response to a product, just as much as it is for launching products, or showing off recently released products.
Thats true, and if the consumer response is very positive, waiting 6 months before releasing isnt a smart move.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 10:11 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hprovider View Post
On the rare occasion that you need a new TV, you aren't going to be waiting around.
RIght, but I've needed a new HDTV for the last 6 months....it still works, just has some weird pixel glitches once in a while. I've been waiting for the "right" deal for me. Figured I'd wait around until Christmas, maybe Boxing Day, and see what prices were like.
Old 11/23/2012, 01:35 PM   #64 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

<Note: reprinted from a post I made in the Open Mobile Update!!! thread>

I have the Roku XS set top box. It's not so much "smart TV" as it is "streaming TV." You can subscribe to Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Video, etc. It is built mostly for static viewing of channels and there is no real, internet interfacing. It does have some games (mostly all are purchase options). The remote has an accelerometer built in. I have played Angry Birds on it. Crude, but acceptable. The Roku remote needs some refinement to help catapult it into the realm of "smart." Here is what the Roku XS remote looks like:

Vizio has a new set top box named Co Star with web browsing and select Google Play Apps. This is what their remote looks like:

If LG/gram can bring OpenwebOS to a TV that delivers synergy, web access, cards with gestures... AND ACL that would be something. They need a full QWERTY and accelerometer enabled remote. Gestures with a remote "pointer" are acceptable. I do it now on my Win 8 laptop without touch. People ***** about touch gestures via mouse, but I have taken to it. It isn't bad at all. Just takes a small bit of patience to learn. I feel it has increased my multitasking ability and speed... (...whatever, end rant, different debate, etc...)

If the LG/gram TV experience delivers eMail, Calendar, Contacts all backed up and deployable under your Profile to sync to/from mobile devices... If it delivers full web browsing... If it delivers Roku style programmable channels with options for Developers to create and add channels to the main store or through "private" password enabled install (like Roku does)... If they throw in a huge App store courtesy of ACL upon launch...

Now imagine that gram has seen what LunaCE did for Cards and they replicate that. Throw in Skype Video calling, Pandora or Tune in Times...

All in cards. Make a killer remote.

Now on TV:

Card open to Amazon, Card open to eBay - stacked.

Card open to monitor eMail account, Card Open to Calendar (the alarm has gone off, it is Grandma's birthday) - stacked

Card open to webOS Nation where you are signed in.

Card open to the Football game.

Make those mini-cards on the margin. In the main Card, the kids are Skype calling Grandma to sing "Happy Birthday" to her.

When the Skype call ends you grab the Football game and throw that card into focus. During the commercial you can shop Amazon or look at some webOS Nation posts and decide that you need to call out RumoredNow for being stupid... Or open up the Pizza Place website and order dinner. Maybe you want to call them. No worries, their # is stored in your contacts. Do a Just Type search to call it up from Contacts and send the # to your cell phone where it auto-dials.

After the game, relax and play some video games you installed from Google Play earlier that day.

Maybe I'm dreaming. Maybe LG/gram won't make it that slick.

Sure would be nice.

I'd buy one...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, akitayo, renater and 3 others like this.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 11/23/2012, 10:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
<Note: reprinted from a post I made in the Open Mobile Update!!! thread>

I have the Roku XS set top box. It's not so much "smart TV" as it is "streaming TV." You can subscribe to Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Video, etc. It is built mostly for static viewing of channels and there is no real, internet interfacing. It does have some games (mostly all are purchase options). The remote has an accelerometer built in. I have played Angry Birds on it. Crude, but acceptable. The Roku remote needs some refinement to help catapult it into the realm of "smart." Here is what the Roku XS remote looks like:

Click to view quoted image

Vizio has a new set top box named Co Star with web browsing and select Google Play Apps. This is what their remote looks like:

Click to view quoted image

If LG/gram can bring OpenwebOS to a TV that delivers synergy, web access, cards with gestures... AND ACL that would be something. They need a full QWERTY and accelerometer enabled remote. Gestures with a remote "pointer" are acceptable. I do it now on my Win 8 laptop without touch. People ***** about touch gestures via mouse, but I have taken to it. It isn't bad at all. Just takes a small bit of patience to learn. I feel it has increased my multitasking ability and speed... (...whatever, end rant, different debate, etc...)

If the LG/gram TV experience delivers eMail, Calendar, Contacts all backed up and deployable under your Profile to sync to/from mobile devices... If it delivers full web browsing... If it delivers Roku style programmable channels with options for Developers to create and add channels to the main store or through "private" password enabled install (like Roku does)... If they throw in a huge App store courtesy of ACL upon launch...

Now imagine that gram has seen what LunaCE did for Cards and they replicate that. Throw in Skype Video calling, Pandora or Tune in Times...

All in cards. Make a killer remote.

Now on TV:

Card open to Amazon, Card open to eBay - stacked.

Card open to monitor eMail account, Card Open to Calendar (the alarm has gone off, it is Grandma's birthday) - stacked

Card open to webOS Nation where you are signed in.

Card open to the Football game.

Make those mini-cards on the margin. In the main Card, the kids are Skype calling Grandma to sing "Happy Birthday" to her.

When the Skype call ends you grab the Football game and throw that card into focus. During the commercial you can shop Amazon or look at some webOS Nation posts and decide that you need to call out RumoredNow for being stupid... Or open up the Pizza Place website and order dinner. Maybe you want to call them. No worries, their # is stored in your contacts. Do a Just Type search to call it up from Contacts and send the # to your cell phone where it auto-dials.

After the game, relax and play some video games you installed from Google Play earlier that day.

Sure would be nice.

I'd buy one...
That will be stunning
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kayphoonstar and Vistaus like this.
Thanked by RumoredNow, Vistaus
Old 11/26/2012, 02:10 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Man, these kind of thoughts are priceless in companies that pursue success through innovation. Others just live the day as mere suppliers. Let's see which path Gram wants to be on (hint: One of them is much easier than the other).

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 11/28/2012, 12:00 PM   #67 (permalink)

Something tells me they chose Open webOS because their current Smart TV user interface already resembles it to some extent... I have a feeling that it isn't going to look like the webOS we're accustomed to seeing, but who knows.

RETIRED:
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
C_McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/28/2012, 02:23 PM   #68 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_McGuire View Post
Something tells me they chose Open webOS because their current Smart TV user interface already resembles it to some extent... I have a feeling that it isn't going to look like the webOS we're accustomed to seeing, but who knows.
Since it is currently a variant of Google TV I believe they will want to do 3 things to make the new Smart TV successful...

1) Make it as unlike Google (or Apple TV) as possible...

2) Translate their proprietary TV ecosystem to be compatible with webOS and expand on it quickly...

3) Incorporate as much full web interaction, synergy and cloud support as possible...

They should try to blur the dividing line between TV and Computing.

It really has to have something different. Set Top Box tech is growing. The costs are $200 or less. (Sony's Google TV box is the largest, bulkiest system I've seen and it is $199.) Decent boxes can be had for $100 or less.

The add-on cost to make a TV Smart keeps a lot of folks from buying. Why spend all those $$$ when you can add a Set Top Box for so little to a perfectly good HD TV?
Liked by Rnp, akitayo, C_McGuire and 2 others like this.
Thanked by C_McGuire, Vistaus
Old 11/28/2012, 02:58 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Since it is currently a variant of Google TV I believe they will want to do 3 things to make the new Smart TV successful...

1) Make it as unlike Google (or Apple TV) as possible...

2) Translate their proprietary TV ecosystem to be compatible with webOS and expand on it quickly...

3) Incorporate as much full web interaction, synergy and cloud support as possible...

They should try to blur the dividing line between TV and Computing.

It really has to have something different. Set Top Box tech is growing. The costs are $200 or less. (Sony's Google TV box is the largest, bulkiest system I've seen and it is $199.) Decent boxes can be had for $100 or less.

The add-on cost to make a TV Smart keeps a lot of folks from buying. Why spend all those $$$ when you can add a Set Top Box for so little to a perfectly good HD TV?
Wow, very well said...extremely well said, you should write a letter to LG. I definitely agree with everything, I only hope LG has that kind of vision/planning/execution to follow-through on such an idea. I'd definitely buy it, and I already have a Smart LG HD 3D TV.

RETIRED:
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
C_McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 02:02 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
I believe they will want to do 3 things to make the new Smart TV successful...
Those are very good ideas indeed.

Quote:
Why spend all those $$$ when you can add a Set Top Box for so little to a perfectly good HD TV?
There lies the show stopper. No matter how wonderful your new computerised TV is, many people won't have the money to replace their perfectly working TV. Moreso if you can add a box by its side that adds all that functionality, and it's a box you can pick from the store counter and put to work yourself, not a two meter box that demands a truck to take home.

But also, that box has no future either. It's all about CONTENT. And here, the telecom companies rule - You'd better mate your new computer-TV to some existing content offer, or people will see you as you are: An empty box.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Old 11/29/2012, 11:37 AM   #71 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
...But also, that box has no future either. It's all about CONTENT. And here, the telecom companies rule - You'd better mate your new computer-TV to some existing content offer, or people will see you as you are: An empty box...
I agree. Earlier in this thread I surmised that ACL will finally debut for webOS via the LG Smart TV. That would open up a lot of Google Play content immediately.

However, a more important point for the streaming aspect of a smart TV is that TV remains an operative capacity. Look at Roku. They thrive now on Channels that can be added. There is a very large selection of Channels available right from the box... And "Private" Channels are available via access codes used to install. Roku encourages Channel Developers. I also mentioned that as a necessary strategy... I see approximately 3-12 new Channel offerings a week on Roku at this stage in its life. These Channels are being offered free or subscription. There is a community of Developers active there.

Obviously consumers are spoiled by huge mobile ecosystems and want all their electronics to share in that ability to graze endlessly...

LG strikes me as a pretty intelligent corporate entity. with any luck, gram will not have HP and their Board second guessing their efforts. Only time will tell what this product looks like. If it goes over and LG is satisfied with consumer response that would be a favorable sign and they might look harder at webOS for phones and tablets. Meanwhile that ecosystem would be given a jumpstart by their TV launch.
Thanked By: ewl88
Old 11/30/2012, 01:24 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
I surmised that ACL will finally debut for webOS via the LG Smart TV
Don't say that very loud, or LG will go the obvious route, and plaster Android in their TVs. It's a much easier and shiny solution, and they even make a flagship Android phone (the latest Nexus, I believe), so they already have plenty of experience. Not to mention that the only thing they would have to do is pun in there some alternative user interface, suitable for TV. With webOS, a much, much bigger work is required.

Quote:
Look at Roku. They thrive now on Channels that can be added.
Thanks for the information, those devices are still extremely unusual over here. Too "modern" for me, I'd say. In Spain, people usually buy a channel pack with the ADSL line at home. All those channels are the regular ones from conventional TV companies.

Quote:
LG strikes me as a pretty intelligent corporate entity. with any luck, gram will not have HP and their Board second guessing their efforts.
The only positive thing I see from that "gram" company is the fact that they are not tied at all to paranoid HP.

Old 11/30/2012, 03:40 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post

The only positive thing I see from that "gram" company is the fact that they are not tied at all to paranoid HP.
But they are. HP pays.
If you want to know the truth, always follow the money.
Old 12/23/2012, 03:18 PM   #74 (permalink)

Well...so much for that idea

LG's 2013 Google TV sets to come in more sizes, fresher designs
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 04:22 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
headshot!
Old 12/23/2012, 09:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
Here's the reason I was getting worried about everyone latching onto the RUMOR (from "unnamed sources" no less) of LG working with Gram on an Open webOS Smart TV:

1. It was a rumor a vast majority of people here started to presume was fact, making outrageous assumptions, setting expectations, and generally getting people unnecessarily excited about it

2. Companies are always playing the field with suppliers, whether or be an electrical component, fabric for their clothing, produce for their TV dinner, or in this case the platform for their Smart TV. Vendor selection and playing the field is a constant exercise, so even if LG were in talks with Open webOS, it didn't mean at all that they'd actually release a product based on it. It's not like there are a whole lot of options out there, so if it even happened, it makes sense LG would ask questions about Open webOS' viability.

If the rumors were true and LG did tap Open webOS for such an evaluation, it's obvious it didn't pass compared to the more robust Google TV already made for such a task with two years of lead time.

3. LG has been growing incredibly closer to Google since they were given the honor of being the hardware vendor for the Nexus 4. That they chose Google TV as their platform is of zero surprise to anyone that doesn't view the world through webOS-colored glasses.

LG, OpenMobile, HP, etc...when will people stop latching onto hope and just wait for results before going in guns blazing with speculation, unfounded assumption, and all the disappointment that inevitably comes when none of it lives up to the inflated expectations?

Last edited by dignitary; 12/23/2012 at 09:39 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 09:49 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned

Let me remind you of the source of those rumors, from the perspective of another source:

LG webOS Smart TV rumor: OS chosen over Google TV, CES 2013 unveil, | BGR

Quote:
According to webOSNation, LG (06657011) is reportedly building a Smart TV with Gram (an open source webOS port) that will replace the company’s NetCast Smart TV platform.
Great, zero sources. I understand naming them isn't journalistically possible, but still, literally anyone could come forward, tell a story about how they're part of Gram and "Blah Blah Hyperversion 64" is going to be a huge new product. Trust action and results.

Quote:
The report says LG is not comfortable with Google TV’s terms and fears Apple’s rumored (AAPL) entrance into the TV market. The company will reportedly show off the webOS-powered Smart TV at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.
That was October, 2012. Now read this article written here not even a week ago again citing that same source:
Don't expect the LG webOS TV at CES 2013 | webOS Nation

Quote:
With CES now less than a month away, we're being told that a reveal next month is unlikely, as much as Gram wants to start making money off Open webOS and LG might want to move on from the aging NetCast and controlling Google TV platforms. The CES 2013 target launch was an optimistic one and we'll admit that we were a little skeptical that it was going to happen so quickly.
Yeah, today's LG/Google TV announcement pretty much sealed the deal on that being an option.

Last edited by dignitary; 12/23/2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12/23/2012, 09:55 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

Let me remind you of the source of those rumors, from the perspective of another source:
LG webOS Smart TV rumor: OS chosen over Google TV, CES 2013 unveil, | BGR

Quote:
According to webOSNation, LG (06657011) is reportedly building a Smart TV with Gram (an open source webOS port) that will replace the company’s NetCast Smart TV platform.
Great, zero sources on the original article here at webOSNation to boot. I understand naming them isn't journalistically possible, but seeing some people around here pin Open webOS' resurrection on this LG rumor was really disappointing to say the least and really misrepresented the fact that, again, all of this was based on zero evidence from an unnamed source.

Quote:
The report says LG is not comfortable with Google TV’s terms and fears Apple’s rumored (AAPL) entrance into the TV market. The company will reportedly show off the webOS-powered Smart TV at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.
That was October, 2012. Now read this article written here not even a week or so ago again citing that same source:
Don't expect the LG webOS TV at CES 2013 | webOS Nation

Quote:
With CES now less than a month away, we're being told that a reveal next month is unlikely, as much as Gram wants to start making money off Open webOS and LG might want to move on from the aging NetCast and controlling Google TV platforms. The CES 2013 target launch was an optimistic one and we'll admit that we were a little skeptical that it was going to happen so quickly.
Convenient, no? One wonders why the source just happened to reach out with that information at that time. One could surmise that it was the date a memo got passed around that LG decided to go with Google, but that's just BS speculation on my part (and irrelevant to the discussion).

About LG's issues with Google's terms, though, it doesn't seem to be such a problem now.

Today's LG/Google TV announcement should put to rest the idea that LG is going with Open webOS as its Smart TV platform for the foreseeable future--nor are they likely going to be webOS' savior. Get over whatever disappointment you may now have and either move forward or move on.

Last edited by dignitary; 12/23/2012 at 10:27 PM.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 12/24/2012, 03:01 PM   #79 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@digitinary: Growing closer because of the Nexus 4? Yeah, that's what I thought when HTC built the first Nexus and where is HTC now? They said they see a future with Windows Phone and they feel frightened by the Motorola takeover so it didn't grew them closer even though they built the first Nexus.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 05:49 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@digitinary: Growing closer because of the Nexus 4? Yeah, that's what I thought when HTC built the first Nexus and where is HTC now? They said they see a future with Windows Phone and they feel frightened by the Motorola takeover so it didn't grew them closer even though they built the first Nexus.
Yeah... HTC is now concerned with what they see as the near-ubiquity of high end Android phones, and lack of real differentiation of said phones in the market... (big screen, Android, case colors: black or white) so they have to try another option if they want to avoid building more of the same... or do nothing and risk being a candidate for a merger with another company...

But since LG is Google's new favorite, i guess they don't have to worry about market saturation until after Google moves onto someone else..

So, for everyone else there is still demand for those huge slab phones, but if they all look and feel about the same, how will the consumer know which one to buy? It becomes a gamble for those manufacturers... you can keep up with market expectations set by someone else, but unless you really drop the price (a la Touchpad) or beat the market expectations by introducing something truly new, you won't really be selling.

When there's Android, brand loyalty goes out the window.. people just look at build quality and price... And i think this is what you are trying to say. HTC is becoming a victim of the machine, and now they want out.

But when Google is playing favorites, nobody they choose turns them down, this is already proven. I think it's time to write off LG as a potential webOS licensee, until the "Nexus high" wears off, which could be another four or so years, an eternity in this business. There's no knight in shining armor, we are all there is for webOS
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0