webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG smartTV with webOS Open
LG smartTV with webOS Open
Like Tree72Likes

Old 10/26/2012, 10:04 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The post I was responding to specifically mentioned hybernating, not sleeping.
I gotcha.... shoulda quoted the other one but I was already on your post and being lazy
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 02:02 PM   #42 (permalink)

Synergy? How will that be integrated in Open webOS?
PrePixiLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 02:14 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
nobody knows officially, at least not anybody that can speak about it.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 02:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
gram will build it into webOS PE (Professional Edition). Apparently gram will be in the business of helping OEMs mold Open into specific functionalities to match their product vision and some of that may or may not make it into a stock PE version that adds back Synergy/Cloud support and all the other stuff stripped out of Open.

I guess the LG TV OS won't technically be PE - more like webOS Custom.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 06:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
gram will build it into webOS PE (Professional Edition). Apparently gram will be in the business of helping OEMs mold Open into specific functionalities to match their product vision and some of that may or may not make it into a stock PE version that adds back Synergy/Cloud support and all the other stuff stripped out of Open.

I guess the LG TV OS won't technically be PE - more like webOS Custom.
well, it's not that Synergy is completely gone, but I don't think anyone has ever written a MAIL connector on Synergy, and that's the only component of it that we have right now. I don't think there'd be anything stopping someone from writing new mail connectors .. but for the fact that it's not really documented.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 09:19 PM   #46 (permalink)

i cant imagine webOS having the same UI we know and love in its role powering a smart TV.

I wonder how that will work out
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2012, 01:56 AM   #47 (permalink)

After reading fp article I was under impression that LG is working with few optional OS's including open webOS for their smart TV. Anyway, even if LG choose other OS for their TV at the end, this episode will have positive impact on open webOS development.
Old 10/27/2012, 09:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
After reading fp article I was under impression that LG is working with few optional OS's including open webOS for their smart TV. Anyway, even if LG choose other OS for their TV at the end, this episode will have positive impact on open webOS development.
IMHO is the contrary. If webOS Open doesn`t work at the end on LG Smart TVs , it will be negative for webOS.

Lets hope it will also be tried on LG smartphones.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Old 10/28/2012, 06:31 AM   #49 (permalink)

Last fiew months HP and LG are filling webOS with missing pieces. It should have some positive impact on OS development.
Old 10/28/2012, 01:31 PM   #50 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
...Lets hope it will also be tried on LG smartphones.
It would be a natural fit if a webOS powered LG smart phone served as a remote control for a webOS powered LG smart TV.

Or a Tablet/remote/media server combo...
Liked by renater likes this.
Old 10/28/2012, 03:12 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
IMHO is the contrary. If webOS Open doesn`t work at the end on LG Smart TVs , it will be negative for webOS.

Lets hope it will also be tried on LG smartphones.
He didnt say "if he doesnt work", he said "they they choose another OS". Big difference.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 10:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
It would be a natural fit if a webOS powered LG smart phone served as a remote control for a webOS powered LG smart TV.

Or a Tablet/remote/media server combo...
That would be very nice/smart.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 02:45 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
It would be a natural fit if a webOS powered LG smart phone served as a remote control for a webOS powered LG smart TV
Sound cool indeed, sure. But I would never toss away such a commodity as the good old infrared remote: Extremely simple, dedicated buttons for functions, batteries last AGES... Now, imagine something that simple depending on something as complex as those mobile computers we call "cell phones"...

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 02:54 AM   #54 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

True enough about a good universal remote,except...

I loved having Nevo on my iPAQ rx3115. It had the really good, commercial grade IR and Nevo let me program in any remote control function you could imagine...

It was always fun going to someone's house, tapping in a few entries with my stylus and then watching them freak out as their TV seemed to change channels and blast sound all on its own.
Liked by webOSnomad likes this.
Old 10/29/2012, 07:38 AM   #55 (permalink)
Rnp

Hummm... if comes with the HP Touchpad Bluetooth Keyboard... and / or Remote Control with dedicated Card View button with each channel in each card (one PIP version)... Or a stack showing the paid channel in one card, Youtube in other card and Netflix in the third card... well... why not? This give me ideas...

Best Regards...
Old 10/30/2012, 02:00 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
uberkernel!

it'd be pretty legit, bragging about overclocking your TV
Overclocking TVs, where does it end... Overclocking clocks :-O
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 11/09/2012, 10:39 AM   #57 (permalink)

so say LG does bring a webOS based tv to CES 2013, typically how long after do you think it might be a buyable item?, would it just be a piece of tech to garner interest and based of that go into production or more of "hey, look what we can do", or just a sample of future offerings either that same year or the next?

when Palm went to ces we didnt see products till about 6 months later, and i know of other products(non palm) that didnt see daylight till 2-3yrs later , and some im still waiting to see.

Cant wait to see what they bring though.
retroblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 11:15 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renater View Post
Overclocking TVs, where does it end... Overclocking clocks :-O
The days go by fast enough as it is....Personally, I'd underclock a clock.
Old 11/09/2012, 07:26 PM   #59 (permalink)

That was supposedly one of the reasons the Pre didn't do as well is because of the wait after its unveiling. Its my guess LG won't wait that long.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 11:13 PM   #60 (permalink)

it would be great if there were something finished and shipping at CES for a change. I would be so happy to see a smart tv with an optional companion device. Nobody is really competing with apple and apple tv yet. Imagine if LG's influence makes webos into a media powerhouse? Google wouldn't let you customize android for a smart tv like LG wanted. Microsoft has their media box and would be more red tape to go through to make a microsoft based product. Webos has a proven linux kernel now and supports state of the art hardware! And its got to be next to nothing to license because its open. I'm sure gram is involved with the pro stuff, but its got to be cheap to build webos if you look at it the right way.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0