webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG smartTV with webOS Open
LG smartTV with webOS Open
Like Tree72Likes

Old 10/25/2012, 11:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Says who? I like LG quite a bit and they are my player of choice to adopt webOS for mobile.

Always on is not without precedent. The Roku box takes a while to boot and the documentation says leave it running.
This is true, I have three roku boxes and they idle all the time in a screen saver mode. When a laptop goes into hibernation mode doesn't it save the system state to hard drive so it can "wake up" faster? My Lenovo's all do it anyways.
sbopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 12:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbopple View Post
This is true, I have three roku boxes and they idle all the time in a screen saver mode. When a laptop goes into hibernation mode doesn't it save the system state to hard drive so it can "wake up" faster? My Lenovo's all do it anyways.
"Faster" may be a misnomer -- I have a couple of laptops that I use, one has 4gig ram the other has 8gig ram, and they both take far longer to restore from hibernation than they do to just restart and reload where I was. Perhaps if I had SSDs on them, but then the restart time would be significantly less then, too.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 12:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
They also make toasters

LG Toasters

Sorry, I had to

and so it begins.....
Old 10/25/2012, 02:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Sweet, my 55" LG is connected to my home's WiFi and is always getting software updates over the internet, maybe if I'm lucky LG will update my TV's OS to webOS when it is released on new LG products.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 02:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
Sweet, my 55" LG is connected to my home's WiFi and is always getting software updates over the internet, maybe if I'm lucky LG will update my TV's OS to webOS when it is released on new LG products.
I wouldn't count on upgrade to a whole new OS... I'm sure it will be very hardware specific.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 03:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Better than Huawei!

Life's Good with Open webOS!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Old 10/25/2012, 03:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
If they can get the thing to use very little electricity while in it's "standby" mode, i think that shouldn't be a problem.
The way Govnah lets us dial things up and down... I imagine it'd be very easy to drop down to an ultra low power mode and stay on. I know I can get my Pre2 to last for over a day if I turn basically everything off...

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 04:57 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Better than Huawei!

Life's Good with Open webOS!
Why's that?.....honest question.

Huawei is who supplied the cell phone tower radios for both Bell Mobility and Telus here in Canada FYI....and I'm pretty happy with my average 30Mb/s, peak 47 (that I've seen).

If you're talking about Huawei tvs....I haven't done any research on them (if they even exist), so I have no idea.
Old 10/25/2012, 04:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Why's that?.....honest question.

Huawei is who supplied the cell phone tower radios for both Bell Mobility and Telus here in Canada FYI....and I'm pretty happy with my average 30Mb/s, peak 47 (that I've seen).

If you're talking about Huawei tvs....I haven't done any research on them (if they even exist), so I have no idea.
i also used (and still do sometimes if rebooting due to freetether on my pre3 annoys me) 1 of their Mifi devices to good effect, also used 1 of their old internet usb sticks (via 3 network) on 1 of my laptops before that, also a very useful/reliable unit.
Old 10/25/2012, 05:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
"Faster" may be a misnomer -- I have a couple of laptops that I use, one has 4gig ram the other has 8gig ram, and they both take far longer to restore from hibernation than they do to just restart and reload where I was. Perhaps if I had SSDs on them, but then the restart time would be significantly less then, too.
but you wouldnt be hybernating the TV, you would be sleeping it.. which has much quicker boot times and uses just a lil more juice
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 06:16 PM   #31 (permalink)

Thinking about it, smart TVs (ones that can run apps) actually do take a while to boot. It annoys me a lot that I have to wait about 10 seconds before a Sony TV would turn the screen on, and then another minute for it to connect through WiFi. And that you can't change any of the menus or put your own apps (except for Yahoo! widgets, lame) on it.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 06:38 PM   #32 (permalink)

Can't wait to use Theme Manager to theme the TV!
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 10/25/2012, 06:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

uberkernel!

it'd be pretty legit, bragging about overclocking your TV
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Zukny like this.
Old 10/25/2012, 06:58 PM   #34 (permalink)

im just freakin excited....come on ces 2013...hope this comes to fruition...open webOS is gettin more exciting and ''i likes''
retroblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 07:08 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I wouldn't count on upgrade to a whole new OS... I'm sure it will be very hardware specific.
Party pooper, lol. Oh well, my guest bdr needs a flat screen anyways, good reason to buy a new TV
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 08:15 PM   #36 (permalink)

So, do you swipe to change channels?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: stickerboy
Old 10/25/2012, 08:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

I have a fairly new LG TV. This real exciting news. Just think of the possible secret "projects" that are going on we don't know about.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 10:31 PM   #38 (permalink)

I just checked my LG for an update, but it didn't update...

Maybe, in the coming months?
Old 10/26/2012, 01:52 AM   #39 (permalink)

This + Open webOS ports are starting to make my day. I moved on to a Xperia SL but go team webOS!
Old 10/26/2012, 02:43 AM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
but you wouldnt be hybernating the TV, you would be sleeping it.. which has much quicker boot times and uses just a lil more juice
The post I was responding to specifically mentioned hybernating, not sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
uberkernel!

it'd be pretty legit, bragging about overclocking your TV
LOLz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
I just checked my LG for an update, but it didn't update...

Maybe, in the coming months?
Har. Har. Har.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0