webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Why not a computer?
Why not a computer?
  Reply
Like Tree8Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/23/2012, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
boovish's Avatar
 
Posts: 746
Wasn't webOS under HP's control supposed to make a computer with webOS on it? I think that it would be pretty awesome.
__________________
HP Think Beyond event link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
ArchonAdvisors's Avatar
 
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
Wasn't webOS under HP's control supposed to make a computer with webOS on it? I think that it would be pretty awesome.
One of these with webOS running natively would be killer:

Overview :: HP TouchSmart | HP® Official Store

I think they actually used one of these running Open webOS beta (the Ubuntu port) in one of the demo videos.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 288
Actually the OWS concept with it's Linux foundation (Ubuntu) - if HP or someone can get a proper install running as an alternative to Win 8 can be a winner.
Pros
a. it's resource light
b. very good multitasking concept
c. good for smaller devices
d. will provide good battery life
e. Would work for both touch screen and (mouse / pad) devices.

Cons
a. Current reiteration OWS 1.0 needs work in it's core features - calender, mail, (no synergy).
b. No productivity tools - not sure if the Webos Prod apps will work on OWS?

Challenges
a. Drivers -for 3D acceleration, Wifi and others..
b. Must work on quite a number of laptops - or at least common devices (which is related to drivers)

I wouldn't mind trying this on a Ultra-light x86 device and see how it runs, if we have a bootable USB OWS.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
To be useful as a desktop device, the apps need to be less mobile oriented and more heavy duty. Like a full office suite capable of creating lots of graphics instead of only being able to read and write text; a graphics program that you can freely add filters and has a bunch of tools; and a real developer environment where you can write code. webOS was designed for mobile, and while it's nice and clean and good for that purpose, to work on the desktop you need real apps and not cut down versions.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Posts: 753
Even at its best, webOS' app selection was and still is unbearably weak for actual productivity applications. And it continues to get even weaker the more developers walk away from the applications--no matter what kind--they've developed over the past few years with nobody coming in to fill the void except magical developers from the future that will of course make it all better.

webOS is a nice proof-of-concept for touchscreen-based desktop computers, but in no way, shape, or form will it ever be able to compare to Windows in just about any area you can think of. There's simply no comparison to be had here, and in no way will it ever come close on its best day to even the ancient Windows 3.1 on its worst day in terms of overall developer support and application variety.

Last edited by dignitary; 10/23/2012 at 11:15 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
I think a more pertinent question is "Why put webos on a computer?"

I don't see a need. I don't see it as better then windows 7 (which i use now). It doesn't offer something i don't get on windows already. And in the beginning it surely lacks the software. Plus it's a touch screen OS and when i look at Window 8 changes i feel the same way when i see windows 8, "Why would i want all that metro touch screen stuff on my laptop?" Even for Microsoft i don't get it and i think the meshing of the two is a mistake. In fact, seeing windows 8, made me certain that i'd switch back to a macbook. And come to think of it, its not like there are no other operating systems for desktops outside of windows like linux. So again doesn't seem to have much over those. I don't know tech or hardware stuff but i thought i read somewhere that open webos couldn't run such and such a processor. Not sure how true that is but if true it may also be a hurdle to get it running on all the various hardware, processors, motherboards, graphics cards, old hardware, new hardware etc that exits?

I don't see anything wrong with putting webos on a computer just to do it. But for my needs its slightly above the HP's idea of putting it on a printer. to both i just say, "Why?"
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
WebOS on the desktop is a solution looking for a problem.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 10/24/2012, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
fxspec06's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,664
i say just replace metro with webos. whenever the user hits the windows key on the keyboard, up pops webos en yo face and you can't do a thing about it. JUST TYPE FTW
__________________
Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5, rammergu and boovish like this.
Old 10/24/2012, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
i say just replace metro with webos. whenever the user hits the windows key on the keyboard, up pops webos en yo face and you can't do a thing about it. JUST TYPE FTW
Hmm... Just Type on Windows would be helpful, as long as the indexer is much better than the one in Windows and actually index code files. I always have a need to quickly open the Command Prompt and calculator. (Say, why does Microsoft think code files are not real files? If a user doesn't program, they won't have them on their computer in the first place. Index them by default already!)
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,176
webOS on a computer? It already is! Your phone is a computer!! :P

Ok, literal joking aside... webOS really is just Rockhopper Linux+Luna Desktop Manager (that happens to use WebKit for UI display). This is synonymous with Ubuntu Linux + Gnome Shell (that happens to use GTK+ for UI display). So, in all reality, it makes perfect sense to run webOS on a desktop. Frankly, I want my desktop to run webOS. And, one could add support for running QT (well, that should already be supported) and GTK+ apps. I want to add support for offline HTML5 apps (that aren't webOS packaged).

So, in all reality, Luna is just a window manager ontop of a distro of Linux, just like Gnome. Except Luna is more gesture oriented, and started off by running web apps.

Ultimately, my goal is to have a laptop running Luna that lets me run all types of LInux apps. But... this is a long term goal. At the moment, as one can see, open webOS is barely even usable on a phone, let alone a computer.

Don't doubt the power of Linux, even if it started on a phone.
__________________
Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mstrblueskys, jcmarcos and Remy X like this.
Old 10/24/2012, 06:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
ArchonAdvisors's Avatar
 
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
To be useful as a desktop device, the apps need to be less mobile oriented and more heavy duty. Like a full office suite capable of creating lots of graphics instead of only being able to read and write text; a graphics program that you can freely add filters and has a bunch of tools; and a real developer environment where you can write code. webOS was designed for mobile, and while it's nice and clean and good for that purpose, to work on the desktop you need real apps and not cut down versions.
I wasn't imagining webos on a desktop in the conventional sense, and it certainly wouldn't/couldn't replace window 7 for real work, but rather in the niche of touchscreen PC's like those in the link I posted. I imagine something along the lines of inexpensive minimal hardware essentially just for the same light duty tasks you'd perform on a Touchpad but on the comfort of a larger screen (casual web surfing, email, photo browsing, videos, light games, etc.). I could see it being useful in a kitchen or other sitting area, or contained in a kiosk for commercial use. Having the ability to install it on older existing hardware as a dual-boot option would be just dandy enough.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 07:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
There's little reason it can't run existent Linux applications and programs with a bit of work... Unless I'm completely mistaken. There is a whole lot of productivity out there waiting to be plugged in.

Don't forget to look at Penk"s Live Distro (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ktop-demo.html) for an idea of how it would look and feel.

Plus if the market moves to Touch Panel (and why wouldn't it???) then webOS is a natural fit.

The future is integration across surfaces and activities:

__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
boovish's Avatar
 
Posts: 746
Oh my. I'm gone for most of the day and so many replies

Anyway I was saying this because now that PC manufacturers think that they get away with windows 8 extralarge tablets with attachable keyboards for computers. webOS would be perfect all it needs is a new app suite
__________________
HP Think Beyond event link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 11:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
hrminer92's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
And, one could add support for running QT (well, that should already be supported) and GTK+ apps.
open webOS is built using Qt
The Open webOS Project Blog, Open webOS July Edition
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
hrminer92's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
One of these with webOS running natively would be killer:

Overview :: HP TouchSmart | HP® Official Store

I think they actually used one of these running Open webOS beta (the Ubuntu port) in one of the demo videos.
yep.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 03:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 275
When I think of webOS on a computer I don't think of webOS replacing the operating system. The main thing that I would like to see come out of a computer with webOS is heavy synergy integration and unobtrusive notifications.

I really enjoy the way webOS phones and tablets can share messages back and forth, why not also expand that onto your computer. A usage situation: Your out of your house and you have your phone on you. You walk into your house and set your phone on the wireless charger and hop onto your computer. A friend calls or messages you and a notification pops up on your computer monitor. Without getting up you can immediately respond to the message.

Mail and Calendar can be synced across all your devices. All your accounts from Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc.

Better cloud sync could further enhance the experience between multiple devices.

HP's own computer app store full of games and all.

....

I see lots of potential with a webOS computer, but I think it should be an enhancement to the existing OS and not an OS re-write.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 10/25/2012, 05:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
webOS really is just Rockhopper Linux+Luna Desktop Manager (that happens to use WebKit for UI display). This is synonymous with Ubuntu Linux + Gnome Shell (that happens to use GTK+ for UI display). So, in all reality, it makes perfect sense to run webOS on a desktop. Frankly, I want my desktop to run webOS. And, one could add support for running QT (well, that should already be supported) and GTK+ apps. I want to add support for offline HTML5 apps (that aren't webOS packaged).

So, in all reality, Luna is just a window manager ontop of a distro of Linux, just like Gnome. Except Luna is more gesture oriented, and started off by running web apps.
lol. i didn't understand a word of that. My brain reads whatever you said as though you were speaking Klingon. tech talk is over my head.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
Indeed it is. And WebKit is QT under open webOS. The QT build environment has been one of the major hurdles that I am facing getting Isis on the TouchPad... (Not because it isn't useful, it is just... new... and BIG...)
__________________
Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 08:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
xandros9's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
webOS on a computer? It already is! Your phone is a computer!! :P

Ok, literal joking aside... webOS really is just Rockhopper Linux+Luna Desktop Manager (that happens to use WebKit for UI display). This is synonymous with Ubuntu Linux + Gnome Shell (that happens to use GTK+ for UI display). So, in all reality, it makes perfect sense to run webOS on a desktop. Frankly, I want my desktop to run webOS. And, one could add support for running QT (well, that should already be supported) and GTK+ apps. I want to add support for offline HTML5 apps (that aren't webOS packaged).

So, in all reality, Luna is just a window manager ontop of a distro of Linux, just like Gnome. Except Luna is more gesture oriented, and started off by running web apps.

Ultimately, my goal is to have a laptop running Luna that lets me run all types of LInux apps. But... this is a long term goal. At the moment, as one can see, open webOS is barely even usable on a phone, let alone a computer.

Don't doubt the power of Linux, even if it started on a phone.
I'm just wondering, but have you tried GNOME 3?
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 01:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,151
In a way, Android on pc would have much more sense than open WebOS. Android's desktop already has ability for shortcuts and folders but system lacks in graphical presentation of multitasking. WebOS on other hand has cards, but it's desktop is for now unusable.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0