webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open WebOS on the BenQ MID S6?
Open WebOS on the BenQ MID S6?

Old 10/23/2012, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just kinda tossing that out there.

Anyone else here with one of these pain in the rear devices? The main issue I see getting this to work is multitouch and possibly the gesture bar, but it does have a scrollpad and a useless button on the right. However zooming would be the main issue.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2013, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bump.
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Old 03/26/2013, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

its x86 and afaik current/most webOS ports are for arm processors?
Old 03/26/2013, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

i had to google for that device.

Since it has an Intel Atom = x86 architecture - so webOS won't immediately run on it.
Also, since it's pret-ty obscure, i doubt there will be many willing to port. (i never heard of it.)

imho, i think the best you could aspire to is webOS in a virtual machine in that thing.
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2013, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hmmm... Quirky little device, isn't it?

So it came with a flavor of Linux (built by the OEM?) that I've never heard of, Red Flag Linux, and later got an update to XP... That shows some flexibility.

I guess Desktop Open webOS would have to be the build basis for x86 compatibility. I rather think if anyone did it, shadowflank, it would have to be you...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2013, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not to mention the S6 runs an Atom processor (strike 1) and it's only 800 megs (strike 2). But hey, who am I to lecture? I successfully installed a 5.0 in a Pinto and a Buick turbo V-6 in a Vega. Give it a shot and let us know. BTW, neither car could be driven in the rain. :-)
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2013, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

The specifications on my device are a 800mhz atom, 512mb of ram, and 2 gigs of space. I've been working on getting a regular linux distro on it and have several blog posts on the subject.

However, the emulator is i686, so why WOULDN'T it run?

EDIT: posts are here, here. Link is broken due to language filter. Change *** to the word it obviously is. and here

Last edited by Shadowflank; 03/27/2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03/27/2013, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
The specifications on my device are a 800mhz atom, 512mb of ram, and 2 gigs of space. I've been working on getting a regular linux distro on it and have several blog posts on the subject.

However, the emulator is i686, so why WOULDN'T it run?

EDIT: posts are here, here and here
Increase RAM for Emulator?

check GMMan's replies in that link.
Old 03/27/2013, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Increase RAM for Emulator?

check GMMan's replies in that link.
Hrm, so it cannot run native on a linux distribution unless its an 'emulator'?

I was under the impression that 'device' images could be built for arm, with some tweaking you could probably modify this to just build for i686 and dd the image to the BenQ's memory, no?

Last edited by Shadowflank; 03/27/2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03/27/2013, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
Hrm, so it cannot run native on a linux distribution unless its an 'emulator'?
i "think" from what gmman says that it sounds like the SDK/emulated version only runs due to virtualbox handling many of the requirements, gfx driver, network, sound etc.

if you can find native variants of those then it may be ok, i could be wrong ofc.
Old 03/27/2013, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
i "think" from what gmman says that it sounds like the SDK/emulated version only runs due to virtualbox handling many of the requirements, gfx driver, network, sound etc.

if you can find native variants of those then it may be ok, i could be wrong ofc.
Well yeah obviously I can't just slap this on the BenQ and have it run seamlessly, I'd have to have my own configured drivers and what not. I've already researched this as enumerated in my blog posts.
Old 03/27/2013, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

down to trial and error then, not sure if anyone has tried an x86 port yet, probably because not many ppl have x86 mobile devices.
Old 03/27/2013, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
down to trial and error then, not sure if anyone has tried an x86 port yet, probably because not many ppl have x86 mobile devices.
I'll probably get around to doing this in the future. If anyone reading this thread needs more information about this asinine device, feel free to bump the topic and request it.

I have virtually figured out everything about this thing almost.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0