webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ubuntu will support the Nexus 7
Ubuntu will support the Nexus 7

Old 10/20/2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

This looks to be exciting:

Nexus7 raring to go - YouTube

Canonical are prepping Ubuntu to run on the Tegra 3-based Google Nexus 7, and there's also rumoured to be a 32GB version out soon. That makes me excited about the prospect of triple-booting webOS, Ubuntu and Android on a fine bit of hardware.

I intend to get a GNex 7 in the New Year. If nobody's done it before then, I'll see what I can do to use Ubuntu's kernel with the webOS userland. How hard can it be?!
joeblurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2012, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

we already have ubuntu, native and carded?
Old 10/21/2012, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
we already have ubuntu, native and carded?
Only on x86 surely, not on ARM? The point I'm trying to make is that with Ubuntu making an extra-special effort to port to the Nexus 7, their kernel could be used for an OpenEmbedded build of Open webOS.

I assume you're referring to the Touchpad chroot and Ubuntu alpha; that's fine for the TP, but irrelevant for other devices. Even on the Touchpad, a concerted effort to improve tablet support in Ubuntu 13.04 might make Unity more usable in the native image.
Old 10/21/2012, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

you do know the chroot works on pretty much all the pre phones and not just the touchpad yeah? and im guessing it may also work or be made to work any any future open webOS devices as well?

I still see the chrooted ubuntu as relevant, the only thing it lacks is better bluetooth support which is out of its hands with regular webOS, something hopefully the open variants will eventually cure.

As for unity, imho its best left on desktops and left out of tablets/netbooks, it eats resources and vampires the life out of anything that runs on it, its also quite large. Again imho its also not that useful. Whats needed is an ubuntu from the core up thats built for tablets, not just the "face" of the environment, leaving the slow wasteful innards the same.

To me the current unity still feels like a glorified shortcut manager for a desktop/mouse combo, a linux/tablet combo imho requires something utterly simple and ofc touchscreen friendly (more gestures/less typing), in my eyes it requires something akin to the sony XMB for simplicity and ease of access, if more complex actions are required then let them hit a different button to access all the more indepth features.
Old 10/21/2012, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

If you have Ubuntu desktop on a machine it lends support to OpenwebOS desktop and boots it from an external source like CD tray or USB drive...

Open webOS :: Building Open webOS

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ktop-demo.html

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2012, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use Ubuntu on all of my computers, but I don't particularly see the point in running Open webOS on them as they have no touch input and if I were targeting the platform for development I'd use a mobile device for that; as I do on the Pre 3 and Touchpad.

The Ubuntu chroot is workable on those devices, but its lack of a mobile-friendly interface, plus its lack of support for the popular environments (GNOME, KDE, Unity) due to near-constant D-Bus errors, make it more of a novelty solution rather than anything.

What I'm actually talking about, however, is not "using webOS devices to run Ubuntu", but using Ubuntu's porting efforts and their driver work to port webOS to a specific piece of hardware. To run webOS where it otherwise wouldn't run, as webOS ports are doing.

But with Canonical pouring effort into making the core of Ubuntu and its interface more mobile-friendly, there would be side benefits for legacy webOS devices running Ubuntu derivatives.

I'm essentially saying that Ubuntu's efforts will be very useful for those of us with an interest in running webOS on anything we can.

HP Pre 3 and various Droids.
Old 10/22/2012, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblurton View Post
...What I'm actually talking about, however, is not "using webOS devices to run Ubuntu", but using Ubuntu's porting efforts and their driver work to port webOS to a specific piece of hardware. To run webOS where it otherwise wouldn't run, as webOS ports are doing....
Which is why I cited penkia's work and Open desktop. It is designed for exactly what you describe, using Ubuntu drivers to boot a working OS on a device.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Which is why I cited penkia's work and Open desktop. It is designed for exactly what you describe, using Ubuntu drivers to boot a working OS on a device.
Wow, I hadn't realised the desktop version had been ported to ARM by the community. That's a serious step forward in terms of running webOS where Ubuntu would run. Still, is there a substantial difference between the desktop and OE builds?

I was assuming that the easiest way to port would be to use the Open Embedded build, but looking at Penk's blog he's even talking about putting this on the Nexus 7. In which case, hakuna matata!

Old 10/22/2012, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

I didn't see you mention Penk's work; I must have missed that detail about the Desktop build being ported to ARM.

Still, it's pretty cool that Ubuntu will give us a well-supported leg-up with this device.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0