webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS new desktop demo
Open webOS new desktop demo
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By blackfireball5
  • 1 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By 60RH

Old 10/18/2012, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Open webOS new desktop demo. Looks good.

A new Open webOS demo on a desktop made by penkia shows the OS performance more efficient than before, when it was ported to a Goole Nexus, and to a Samsung Slate 7

Penk instructions for anyone who wants to try it as follows:

UPDATED: added new download link

Download: openwebos-desktop-1005.iso (112MB)
MD5: 396dbd28dd08d337262821fec68be16c

I created an unofficial Open webOS Live distro, based on the desktop build and mkxpud for Ubuntu 12.04. It has bugs and only tested on Virtualbox, but you get the idea.

What's next

I'll work on following things

compile new kernel and add extra kernel drivers (targeting 3.2.0-23 for 12.04 LTS)
set boot parameter to /etc/palm/luna-platform.conf so you can configure gesture area, keyboard and resolution from boot loader

add new cookbook & recipe to mkxpud, and try switching to OE build to further strip down image size
Preware / Homebrew / quick install / developer mode in Open webOS?

If you find anything interesting and want to help, please do. Contact me @penk or #webos-port channel.
Notes on xPUD

I no longer maintain the old plate UI, but underlying system of xPUD is still actively developing. You can check out recent commits of added Google Chrome / Chromium support; SlateKit our reference UX for tablets, and right now we're working on Open webOS and maybe porting to Firefox Webian/Gaia.

penk: Unofficial Open webOS liveCD/USB

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2012 at 01:14 AM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by GreenHex, mstrblueskys, hunland and 2 others like this.
Old 10/19/2012, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cool. I put this on one of my flash drives. gonna play around with it when i get a chance.

Thanks.

What is not functional with this build?
Old 10/19/2012, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

This is a great idea... I mentioned it over in this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ve-distro.html

So I just downloaded the .ISO and mounted it in my virtual disk drive. It runs as a Live Boot CD.

Set up a VirtualBox for it:
1 CPU core
1GB RAM
32GB VDI
32MB video RAM
Type - Linux/Other

It runs alright speed wise (nothing to write home about... yet), connects to the web, but clicking on links is dead... Haven't tried an email account yet.

Certain actions kill the Box and you have to reset. I.E: whenever a piece of functionality is broken/missing such as selecting a new sound for an alarm tone...

Interesting toy, easy enough to set up. I'll keep playing with it and report back...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 10/21/2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Removed stale merge request
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm having an issue booting. I have it mounted on a flash drive. When i boot to it, i see the Orange open webos flash screen and it begins doing its thing. It stops at some point and says something about xint server? or x something server? cant find the server? I cant remember.

When i get a chance I'll get the exact line that it stops at.
Old 10/19/2012, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
I'm having an issue booting. I have it mounted on a flash drive. When i boot to it, i see the Orange open webos flash screen and it begins doing its thing. It stops at some point and says something about xint server? or x something server? cant find the server? I cant remember.

When i get a chance I'll get the exact line that it stops at.
It's just a BusyBox at this point. I'm not sure how ready it is to boot from scratch on your machine. If it crashes you would have to do a hard power button shutdown of your computer...

Why not VirtualBox it for now?

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 10/21/2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10/19/2012, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh ok. I just thought with the title "Unofficial Open webOS liveCD/USB" that it would be at least able to boot to from a usb stick.

I don't expect it to be stable. I just thought I'd give it a try.
Old 10/19/2012, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
Oh ok. I just thought with the title "Unofficial Open webOS liveCD/USB" that it would be at least able to boot to from a usb stick.

I don't expect it to be stable. I just thought I'd give it a try.
I did exactly what you did. mine is saying that no usable screen(s) are found or something of that nature when it tries to load the drivers for my nvidia video card. So in the end it can't start Xserver. I'm a linux noob but I understand that much
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 10/19/2012, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It does boot from a virtual cd tray in VirtualBox...

I've crashed mine twice already.

Not sure what it needs to boot raw from a USB stick. Have you tried burning to CD ROM and booting from there?

Maybe I'll try that after work or tomorrow in the AM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 10/19/2012, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

heres a picture of the place my boot hangs:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1350675653
Old 10/20/2012, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Desktop Build is made to run under Ubuntu...

Open webOS :: Building Open webOS

"The Desktop build is a simulator that runs on Ubuntu 32-bit desktop and uses its native (hardware-accelerated) OpenGL graphics. The simulator contains all of the Open webOS code (except for the kernel), and it can be compiled as a 32-bit Ubuntu desktop and still run on a 64-bit Ubuntu desktop.

To build, install, and run scripts for Open webOS on an Ubuntu Linux desktop computer, please refer to the build-desktop GitHub repository found here:

https://github.com/openwebos/build-desktop "

That's why the .ISO runs in VirtualBox - it needs outside hardware driver support and won't boot up straight from USB or CD yet. You would have to pull drivers for your hardware set up and compile them in before repacking the .ISO image.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 10/20/2012, 06:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

i may give this a whirl for the heck of it.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2012, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Interesting...

If I leave the OpenwebOS.ISO in my virtual CD tray and power on my Ubuntu 12.04.1 machine in VirtualBox it boots straight into OpenwebOS.

I do have CD/DVD drive set at a higher priority for boot than Hard Drive.

So if you have an Ubuntu machine this should boot from CD tray or USB if that is the boot order.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 10/21/2012, 04:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

I wonder what (if anything) is now required to make this an installed OS/GUI
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Desktop Build is made to run under Ubuntu...

Open webOS :: Building Open webOS

"The Desktop build is a simulator that runs on Ubuntu 32-bit desktop and uses its native (hardware-accelerated) OpenGL graphics. The simulator contains all of the Open webOS code (except for the kernel), and it can be compiled as a 32-bit Ubuntu desktop and still run on a 64-bit Ubuntu desktop.

To build, install, and run scripts for Open webOS on an Ubuntu Linux desktop computer, please refer to the build-desktop GitHub repository found here:

https://github.com/openwebos/build-desktop "

That's why the .ISO runs in VirtualBox - it needs outside hardware driver support and won't boot up straight from USB or CD yet. You would have to pull drivers for your hardware set up and compile them in before repacking the .ISO image.
Im thinking about doing some work on getting this to run on my semi-useless BenQ MID S6, have any reports of preware working properly on x86 and oWOS?
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 11:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
It does boot from a virtual cd tray in VirtualBox...

I've crashed mine twice already.

Not sure what it needs to boot raw from a USB stick. Have you tried burning to CD ROM and booting from there?

Maybe I'll try that after work or tomorrow in the AM.
Well, I used Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux to build the bootable usb install.
As you can tell by the size of the ISO it doesn't have all the drivers build in.
Hope somebody more experienced with building linux distros(not sure this is the right term - I'm a noob) can do that - seems like this is what Penk is planning to do anyway. Live CDs and usb are great way to experience new OS without too much work. Did that with few distros way back...PC Linux and few Ubuntu versions and Fedora for Amahi setup(didn't work too well).
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0