webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Kernel 3.x and 3.3 driver compatibility
Kernel 3.x and 3.3 driver compatibility
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 2 Post By Herrie

Old 10/17/2012, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Seeing that some of the custom Android roms move to kernel 3.x instead of 2.6.x I was wondering if the 3.x kernel drivers would be usable in 3.3.x kernel as well or we need a new binary blob specifically made for 3.3.x?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 10/18/2012, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It seems that there are 3.x kernels available with MSM7x30 support (for the T-Mobile G2 and Desire Z which uses the same chipset the Veer uses for example), see https://github.com/virtuous/htc7x30-3.0 and https://github.com/Flemmard/htc7x30-3.0

Since we have 3.x kernels available and the drivers for it, can't we use this for getting Open webOS on our legacy devices as well?
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Old 10/19/2012, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Seeing that some of the custom Android roms move to kernel 3.x instead of 2.6.x I was wondering if the 3.x kernel drivers would be usable in 3.3.x kernel as well or we need a new binary blob specifically made for 3.3.x?
Short answer : we need a new binary blob specifically made for 3.3.x, and not just that but different blobs for different values of x.

IF ( and that's a very big if ) manufacturers could be persuaded to provide downloadable drivers that can be compiled for different versions of the kernel, like nvidia and amd do for their desktop GPUs, then you could use whatever kernel version you want, but AFAIK they don't and you are stuck with the same kernel version you have drivers for and compiled with the same version of GCC.

However i think Open WebOS can run on older kernels, so there is hope ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
It seems that there are 3.x kernels available with MSM7x30 support (for the T-Mobile G2 and Desire Z which uses the same chipset the Veer uses for example), see https://github.com/virtuous/htc7x30-3.0 and https://github.com/Flemmard/htc7x30-3.0

Since we have 3.x kernels available and the drivers for it, can't we use this for getting Open webOS on our legacy devices as well?
Sure, if we can also get drivers for bluetooth, GPS and the baseband chips ...
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 03:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

OK thanks for the reply. So our best bet would be depending on the community developed drivers like the ones made by the "Code Aurora" project and Freedreno for the Snapdragon chipsets if we want to have something working on 3.3.x ?
Old 10/19/2012, 04:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
However i think Open WebOS can run on older kernels, so there is hope ...
Hi, interresting... do you think that it could work on 3.0? Because I found many times that openwebOS need 3.3+, but never found why, what are the dependencies. I'm asking because I'm trying to port owOS to A10 tablet, where I'm succesful with 3.0.42 kernel (debian wheezy boots to LXDE)
And if I look to the OE config files, there are kernel 3.2 as preferred version, which doesn't correspond with 3.3+. And the next secret is which kernel is in galaxy nexus owOS port used... I can't find any relevant info...

Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
Old 10/30/2012, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

"debian wheezy boots to LXDE" - try the desktop build for Open WebOS or better yet this : penk: Open webOS on NOOK Color ( I know it's for ubuntu on nook color, but the binaries should work on top of debian for armv7 )
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0