webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Live Distro
Live Distro
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 10/16/2012, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

From the Front Page: Open webOS booted onto Nook Color and Samsung Series 7 Slate, gets live USB distro [video x2] | webOS Nation

^ - Very good article, IMHO. Thanks to Derek Kessler.

Pinh-Hsun, the gent who is working on Open Source for Nook Color, is also developing a Live Boot Distro of Open Source webOS...

I found this the most interesting of the 3 items featured: Samsung Series 7, Nook Color and the Live Distro.

The Live Distro can be loaded on a CD or USB stick and boots the Ubuntu/OpenwebOS Desktop setup onto a computer. Obviously it is still rough and getting worked upon... But I find it exciting as Live Boot distributions are an excellent tool for evangelizing an OS.

Can't wait for this one to ripen.

http://penkia.blogspot.com/2012/10/u...livecdusb.html

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 10/16/2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added link
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 10/16/2012, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I agree it is a great idea! Being able to develop Open webOS where ever you're at should make development advances much more frequent!

What I don't understand is how you will be able to save those changes booting from a CD?

Also, can updates cross over from the desktop build to OE?
rolladude1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Live Distros are more of a "show and tell" tool... You can boot it up on anybody's desktop and show them the benefits of the OS. They are always touted as "try before you buy."

A good Live Distro encourages people to install by letting them test drive an OS with no risk / hassle involved because they don't have to install before deciding they want the OS. There is a comfort level there that soothes casual users.

Live Boot programs can be built up with important functionality as well - like the ever awesome, Linux based, highly useful and recommended: SystemRescueCD.

Having a Live Boot Open webOS would be a great proof of concept tool and might lead to portable versions with enhanced functionality.

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/16/2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: linking to non-webOS files - not allowed
Old 10/17/2012, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I downloaded and burnt the Open webOS live cd and tried to boot from it, but it fails with a 'Cannot connect to X server'

Can someone tell me what's wrong?
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2012, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoApple View Post
I downloaded and burnt the Open webOS live cd and tried to boot from it, but it fails with a 'Cannot connect to X server'

Can someone tell me what's wrong?
That probably means X.Org is not running correctly. Do you see the error in a text display, or in a graphical interface? Do you only have dedicated graphic cards?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 06:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've the same problem with the X-Server! I see the error in a text display, please help me I've no idea..
malte123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malte123 View Post
I've the same problem with the X-Server! I see the error in a text display, please help me I've no idea..
More has been going on with the Live Distro over in this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ktop-demo.html

Basically, you can run it in VirtualBox as its own machine under Windows. Use a virtual CD tray to boot that machine from the ISO image...

Or it will boot straight into Open Desktop on an Ubuntu machine set to boot from the CD tray before the hard drive. (I've only tested that on a VirtualBox install of Ubuntu.)

The Open Desktop "borrows" drivers from the Ubuntu kernel or has them supplied by VirtualBox.

Mobile Nations Devotee

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0