webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > openwebOS for Allwinner A10 tablet
openwebOS for Allwinner A10 tablet
Like Tree73Likes

Old 02/13/2013, 10:56 AM   #61 (permalink)

i do hope for a solution someday, the mali/allwinner systems are damned decent for their price.
Old 02/13/2013, 02:47 PM   #62 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
I have very very bad news. Yesterday I contacted the Maxim Kouprianov ,who was very deeply interested in openwebOS on A10 with accelerated Mali drivers and his answer is clean and simple - openwebOS needs two framebuffers, which actual mali drivers canīt offer. HP knows about this thing, which is blocking the wide hardware compatibility. More info in this mailing: [OpenwebOS-general] Cards accelerated rendering

So... without accelerated graphic is this port wasting of time. He recommended me to focus to other system, like B2G (Firefox OS). Against all this, Iīll try to test it by myself.
I hope for Mali drivers with two framebuffers support or new openwebOS release without this dependency.
Hm these mailings are all from October 2012: is there any progress since then?
Old 02/15/2013, 12:30 AM   #63 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The good news is, that yesterday I got managed to opengl work on my device. It means, I finished succesfully the whole roadmap of hardware support.

Works: boot from SD, console, USB-OTG (keyboard, mouse), LCD, touchscreen (need to test multitouch), wifi, sound, accelerated graphic. Now, I can enjoy any Linux desktop (accelerated) on my tablet - this is very nice.

So, I have to decide what next on the owos field... what are the possibilities. have to contact the people around webos-ports dev.
Thanked by jcmarcos, johncc, kkalogia
Old 02/15/2013, 01:09 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
The good news is, that yesterday I got managed to opengl work on my device. It means, I finished succesfully the whole roadmap of hardware support.

Works: boot from SD, console, USB-OTG (keyboard, mouse), LCD, touchscreen (need to test multitouch), wifi, sound, accelerated graphic. Now, I can enjoy any Linux desktop (accelerated) on my tablet - this is very nice.

So, I have to decide what next on the owos field... what are the possibilities. have to contact the people around webos-ports dev.
I think everyone around here could use some cheering up after yesterday's news about HP going android. So this is good, a video of the tablet performing would be even better. Congrats i wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do and hope your efforts are not in vain, although the benefit of developing and doing new stuff is a reward by itself for you as i understand.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 02:36 AM   #65 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:

Jan, I can only say great work again as always!

Where are you based in Czech Republic? You happen to be in Prague? I'll be there from tomorrow to Wednesday evening for work, so in case you're in Prague, we could meet and have a drink ?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 02:37 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
I finished succesfully the whole roadmap of hardware support. Works: boot from SD, console, USB-OTG (keyboard, mouse), LCD, touchscreen (need to test multitouch), wifi, sound, accelerated graphic.
Jesus! This is awesome!

Like others suggest, it's demanding a video like nothing else. Yours is indeed a milestone: Open webOS running in ideal hardware conditions outside of a legacy device. This IS the starting point everyone wanted!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 02:56 AM   #67 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Jesus! This is awesome!

Like others suggest, it's demanding a video like nothing else. Yours is indeed a milestone: Open webOS running in ideal hardware conditions outside of a legacy device. This IS the starting point everyone wanted!
My Canon PowerShot G12 is packed and batteries are full So I could video it in case I meet up with Jan
Old 02/15/2013, 08:08 AM   #68 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ehm... My previous post wasnīt probably clear, I was talking only about finished kernel hardware support, the openwebOS runs only with software renderer and is still unusable - it is a LunaSysMgr issue. Nothing to celebrate.... the acceleration tried only on es2gears test. I can say that the es2gears (accelerated) have around 140fps in compare to software (glxgears without gl) which has only 35fps. See photo (linaro ALIP rootfs with LXDE, onboard compiled Mali drivers, runing es2gears).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0226.jpg (530.1 KB, 52 views) Email Attachment
Old 02/18/2013, 01:53 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Ehm... My previous post wasnīt probably clear, I was talking only about finished kernel hardware support.
Oh, sorry for my over enthusiasm - We all need good news. So I understand that you have achieved full hardware acceleration in the kernel that webOS uses, not in webOS itself. Do you think the new LunaSysMgr needs many changes to start using video acceleration? Also, those Mali drivers are not open source, are they.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Old 02/18/2013, 02:41 AM   #70 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Oh, sorry for my over enthusiasm - We all need good news. So I understand that you have achieved full hardware acceleration in the kernel that webOS uses, not in webOS itself. Do you think the new LunaSysMgr needs many changes to start using video acceleration? Also, those Mali drivers are not open source, are they.
I agree that we definitely need the good news... but the reality is different
You understand good. I have to say, that this is an issue on both sides, Mali doesnīt support two framebuffers and Luna needs them... it is not so easy to say, which side is wrong. And yes, Mali are closed source.

If Iīm not wrong, webos-ports team is more informed than me, i didnīt sped any time in learning Luna until now, and they realized some combination in accelerated and software rendering. Something like that maximized app is accelerated, only the card switching etc are software...
Or Iīm completely wrong...
Old 02/18/2013, 03:01 AM   #71 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I agree that we definitely need the good news... but the reality is different
You understand good. I have to say, that this is an issue on both sides, Mali doesnīt support two framebuffers and Luna needs them... it is not so easy to say, which side is wrong. And yes, Mali are closed source.

If Iīm not wrong, webos-ports team is more informed than me, i didnīt sped any time in learning Luna until now, and they realized some combination in accelerated and software rendering. Something like that maximized app is accelerated, only the card switching etc are software...
Or Iīm completely wrong...
No you're correct here, I recall something like this too. It has to do with 2 different ways of rendering. I believe this was partly due to QT version that was being used and should be addressed when QT5 migration is completed, but not 100% sure about that either to be honest....
Old 02/18/2013, 05:40 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Quote:
Mali doesnīt support two framebuffers and Luna needs them... And yes, Mali are closed source. Webos-ports team realized some combination in accelerated and software rendering. Something like that maximized app is accelerated, only the card switching etc are software
I recall something like this too. It has to do with 2 different ways of rendering. I believe this was partly due to QT version that was being used and should be addressed when QT5 migration is completed
Thanks both for your replies, and let's hope this lack of dual framebuffer is not very much show stopping. To me, implementing partially a second framebuffer in software looks like no easy task.

Old 02/18/2013, 05:42 AM   #73 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

What about using the desktop build in X11 ? Will that work with and if so will it be usable ?
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0