webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > openwebOS for Allwinner A10 tablet
openwebOS for Allwinner A10 tablet
Like Tree73Likes

Old 11/12/2012, 10:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

Woot!
Old 11/12/2012, 12:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
looks good. Hope you can get the touchscreen going...and from there work on the WIFI, 3GL etc..
Hi, wifi works well, it is my communication gate between my desktop and tablet. Usb works too, no problem to connect any device supported in kernel.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Last edited by 72ka; 11/12/2012 at 12:49 PM.
72ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 03:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
Hi, wifi works well, it is my communication gate between my desktop and tablet. Usb works too, no problem to connect any device supported in kernel.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
This is very nice and it is always very exciting to see creative and talented people introducing new things. I actually like the concept of introducing openWebos on these tablets, in many ways it makes more sense than working on expensive tablets. If openWebos is ported successfully in these chinese tablets, i find it more probable that a manufacturer will pick it up and produce a webos tablet than one of the big firms actually doing it. And that would help a lot towards saving the OS.

In any case thank you 72ka for a great app and your efforts in porting openWebos, i admire all of the devs' creativity and commitment and i wish i had the skills to do this stuff rather than being just a consumer.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter and MikeN68 like this.
Old 11/13/2012, 05:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, thank you. I see the biggest advantage of port to A10 based tablet in easy hardware configuration of these tablets. Each chinese A10 board (tablet) is almost the same, you can use the same u-boot loader and complete hardware configuration information is stored in *.fex file. This magic file is included in stock Android ROM and you can easily extract it (just copy it). I want to say, you dont need to do any reverse engineering about GPIOs, LCD pinouts, frequencies etc...
My project goal is to provide universal openWebOS distribution for A10 based tablets, where user just includes their *.fex file. And my kernel will be compiled with all known device drivers as modules (like a universal kernel on desktop). The idea is similar as Cyanogenmod with their compatibility packs.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 11/13/2012, 06:14 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi, thank you. I see the biggest advantage of port to A10 based tablet in easy hardware configuration of these tablets. Each chinese A10 board (tablet) is almost the same, you can use the same u-boot loader and complete hardware configuration information is stored in *.fex file. This magic file is included in stock Android ROM and you can easily extract it (just copy it). I want to say, you dont need to do any reverse engineering about GPIOs, LCD pinouts, frequencies etc...
My project goal is to provide universal openWebOS distribution for A10 based tablets, where user just includes their *.fex file. And my kernel will be compiled with all known device drivers as modules (like a universal kernel on desktop). The idea is similar as Cyanogenmod with their compatibility packs.
I love it when you guys talk tech language, don't understand it but love it. I did understand the last part though about providing a universal kernel. Seeing how you stick by your development goals, we all know your work on google maps and more importantly the continuous updates/development, i only hope that someone more educated than me in these matters can give you a hand. When the time comes i will chip in by donating and maybe i will even end up with a a10 tablet.

This would be a real boost for openwebos. Obviously the golden fleece in this case would be porting it to really good hardware like dual or quad core, retina display etc, but you have to learn to walk before you can fly.

Did i mention i admire all of you guys? Keep bringing the magic our way, it makes us feel like children on christmas day.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 01:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

One of the funny thing is a mouse in openwebOS. Because my touchscreen doesn't work, I tried connect the mouse to the USB it works! But you can see only a tap, not some cursor and is very tricky to focus to some UI element
But it allows me to take some other photos than locked screen and try to launch some apps.

You can see my a bit tricky usb OTG cable (home made), supported by teaspoon, otherwise it doesn't work and the mouse on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0057.jpg (186.8 KB, 69 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg DSC_0058.jpg (222.7 KB, 60 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg DSC_0059.jpg (302.5 KB, 58 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg DSC_0064.jpg (268.9 KB, 54 views) Email Attachment
Old 11/13/2012, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
One of the funny thing is a mouse in openwebOS. Because my touchscreen doesn't work, I tried connect the mouse to the USB it works! But you can see only a tap, not some cursor and is very tricky to focus to some UI element
But it allows me to take some other photos than locked screen and try to launch some apps.

You can see my a bit tricky usb OTG cable (home made), supported by teaspoon, otherwise it doesn't work and the mouse on the right
Hey,
I see your still struggling due to issues with TS. Send me the kernel source you are using. And any/all info from the device regarding TS. Let me hack on it a ill bit.
adityaxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2012, 02:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:

...and nice shot of "my Pre3"
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 11/13/2012, 04:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaxavier View Post
Hey,
I see your still struggling due to issues with TS. Send me the kernel source you are using. And any/all info from the device regarding TS. Let me hack on it a ill bit.
Any help is appreciated, so, my kernel source is http://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi the sunxi-3.0 branch.

I tried to gain more info from Android stock system, you can see lsmod and some Goodix init.

Code:
app_152@android:/ $ lsmod
8192cu 570686 0 - Live 0xbf09d000
mma7660 5671 0 - Live 0xbf097000
rtl8150 8910 0 - Live 0xbf090000
mcs7830 6557 0 - Live 0xbf08a000
qf9700 8513 0 - Live 0xbf083000
asix 22500 0 - Live 0xbf078000
usbnet 23745 3 mcs7830,qf9700,asix, Live 0xbf06c000
sun4i_csi0 27097 0 - Live 0xbf061000
gc0308 15303 1 - Live 0xbf059000
videobuf_dma_contig 5659 1 sun4i_csi0, Live 0xbf054000
videobuf_core 18067 2 sun4i_csi0,videobuf_dma_contig, Live 0xbf04a000
mali 130067 10 - Live 0xbf01d000
ump 42150 13 mali, Live 0xbf00c000
goodix_touch 13238 0 - Live 0xbf004000
sun4i_vibrator 2278 0 - Live 0xbf000000
app_152@android:/ $ dmesg | busybox grep gt801 -i
<6>[    4.700000] ctp_detect: Detected chip Goodix-TS-1GT801 at adapter 2, address 0x55
<6>[    4.710000] ===============================GT801 Probe===========================
<6>[    5.130000] Goodix-TS-1GT801 2-0055: GT80X Version: GT801_1R08_2011121501_Goodix_Tech
app_152@android:/ $
Then I localized the touchscreen in class:

Code:
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/name
gt80x
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/properties
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/modalias
input:b0018vDEADpBEEFe1105-e0,1,3,k14A,ra10,12,15,16,19,30,32,35,36,39,mlsfw
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/phys
input/goodix-ts
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/uniq

app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/
capabilities/ id/           name          power/        subsystem/    uniq
event2/       modalias      phys          properties    uevent
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/id/
bustype product vendor  version
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/id/vendor
dead
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/id/version
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/id/bustype
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/id/product
beef
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/capabilities/
abs ev  ff  key led msc rel snd sw
app_152@android:/ # cat /sys/class/input/event2/device/capabilities/
abs ev  ff  key led msc rel snd sw
app_152@android:/ # cat /dev/input/
event0 event1 event2 event3 js0    mice
app_152@android:/ # cat /dev/input/event2
t5t6t9t0
        t2
          tt^[[?1;2c^[[?1;2c5690
6O901;2c5690    2       *9*0*2**^[[?1;2c                        5
     9 0#2%(i   5Mt     6v      9y      0       |       2       ~               /
9/
The last rows are readings from event2 when I touched the screen. just for sure if I'm on right event device.

If I try to insert a module goodix_touch from my kernel, it failed on init.... dmesg here:

Code:
[   85.080000] ===========================goodix_ts_init=====================
[   85.080000] ctp_fetch_sysconfig_para. 
[   85.080000] ctp_fetch_sysconfig_para: script_parser_fetch err. 
[   85.080000] =========script_parser_fetch_err============
[   85.080000] goodix_ts_init: err.
I saw some other drivers like gt801_2plus1 etc... but I'm very sleepy and going to sleep...

Thank you.
Old 01/01/2013, 08:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

Jan,

Havent heard an update on this for a while. I picked up a cheap a13 based tablet id like openwebos on. I have what comes up as a gt811 touchscreen so i assume its a goodix. Very excited to see your work on these cheap but usefull tablets. please keep us up to date.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 02:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, I have to check the news, have not any time... Im deeply in Google Maps dev activity. But after new release I plan to check the state of goodix driver.
Can you write here, which tablet do you have? Specs?
Old 01/04/2013, 08:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just received the very handy keyboard for developing purpose, now Im able to use the linux console and control partially the openwebos. Hope that Ill find some time for continue work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0058.jpg (249.0 KB, 55 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg DSC_0061.JPG (175.7 KB, 43 views) Email Attachment
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/04/2013, 09:27 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rnp

Great job!

I confess, I'm impressed!

Hummm... there is some chance to install in Android Phone???

For example: Genesis GP501

Best Regards...
Old 01/04/2013, 11:53 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Just received the very handy keyboard for developing purpose, now Im able to use the linux console and control partially the openwebos. Hope that Ill find some time for continue work
how freaky is it that we seem to have both the same cheapo 7" allwinner tablet as well as the same cheapo generic 7" tablet/keyboard enclosure

also have an 8" sanei n83 tablet, also allwinner etc, a bigger brother of my 7" tablet, tho weirdly enough, i dont like it, even rooted it seems to operate as if not fully/properly rooted, for some weird reason cwm continually seems to fail to install yet it goes through the motions and "seems" to work but doesnt, its much heavier and basically just less useful than the lightweight 7" device.

the 7" tablet cost me 56 from hong kong, and the keyboard/case cost me something silly low like 7 from amazon or ebay i forget which, mine doesnt fit in the generic case to well tho, slides out sideways too easily, so used some of the packing foam that came with it, cut a small 4x4cm square piece and jammed that between the case and tablet, holds it firmly and doesnt bend or damage the device doing so.

its cheap, but so far works well for me, hasnt fallen apart or has signs of it, runs pretty much everything ive thrown at it, only downside so far is the low but not too bad battery life, but for the price who cares, its always near my pc or a usb'd powered source anyways, was thinking of partnering it with an ultraslim battery pack and maybe sticking it where i have my foam "hold it in place" block.

its that cheap that i got 1 for my nephew and as hes a small useless moron that likes to break stuff without a care in the world its an ideal device, if he breaks it, its far better that smashes into a million pieces than an expensive android or fruit product.

as your doing the porting work here 72ka, what do you actually think of the cheapo allwinner based tablets so far as a means for a cheap but useable android and openwebOS device? so far i like it just using android (for tv/netflix etc), cant wait for some webOS love as well, i understand others going for the better hardware devices but so far im impressed with some of the cheapo/knockoff models im getting my hands on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheapo-tablet.jpg (615.1 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
Old 01/04/2013, 04:52 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi, I have to check the news, have not any time... Im deeply in Google Maps dev activity. But after new release I plan to check the state of goodix driver.
Can you write here, which tablet do you have? Specs?
I bought a 'Polaroid' 7in tablet. It has an allwinner a13 soc a freescale accelerometer and a goodix 811 touchscreen. Would be very cool to get these working on OwebOS ...
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 07:15 AM   #36 (permalink)

Could we start something on github for webos with sub headings based on the arm core for webos?
that way can share driver and source code between theses cheap chinese tablets.
I also placed links in my Aninol Fire thread, will start work on it as soon as it arrives.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 04:49 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hi 72ka,

I'm currently a developer of cyanogen for Ainol Advanced II (allwinner a10 [ROM][JB]Unofficial CyanogenMod 10 for Advanced II - SlateDroid.com) and really like the idea of installing openWebOS. I will PM you to see if maybe we could work together in the goal of a10 devices.

Cheers,
Starcarr
Starcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, gizmo21 and geekpeter like this.
Old 01/10/2013, 05:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcarr View Post
Hi 72ka,

I'm currently a developer of cyanogen for Ainol Advanced II (allwinner a10 [ROM][JB]Unofficial CyanogenMod 10 for Advanced II - SlateDroid.com) and really like the idea of installing openWebOS. I will PM you to see if maybe we could work together in the goal of a10 devices.

Cheers,
Starcarr
i like the idea btw of ports that provide the option of more than 1 OS on a target device.

choices, thats what some people like, granted not everyone but its nice having the option to use whatever you like, its still the next best thing to something like the phantom ACL or waiting for chompers or Nikolay's android in a webOS card to find traction.

i gave my sister/brother in law touchpads, and thanks to CM10 they got something they recognised how to use as their android phone users, yet they keep drifting into webOS to do the odd task thats starting to interest them.

it would be awesome to have a sort of hybrid OS build that installs 1/2/however many more OS in 1 go, or if thats not required, at least the option to install whichever you wanted.

Last edited by geekpeter; 05/13/2013 at 10:34 AM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 05:40 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcarr View Post
Hi 72ka,

Cheers,
Starcarr
hi there, ive actually followed advice/help/resources from your link/work and others for my 2 allwinner based devices i have, 1 worked fine cramming JB into it, the other tho suffered a huge issue, i think it was my Sanei N83, which "would" have worked fine but all the guides id read assume your device is setup a certain way.

id gone insane trying to get just CWM installed to follow the rest of the guides and the rubbish 3e recovery would never get repaced with CWM, in the end i found its because for many devices theres a minor missing gap or stage before you do anything.

Id found that ALL the flashing/recovery apps ALL assume your recovery image is stored in /sdcard or something similar, but my n83 didnt have /sdcard to access the sdcard, mine was in /mnt/extsd and also in /storage/sdcard1 so nothing worked, had to figure out i had to "assist" the recovery stages by abusing busybox to do a gash mount so that /sdcard existed THEN everything worked.

really do wish there was more info or better info for the recovery/flashing tools out there other than a vague "you need an sdcard or enough space blah blah", some not even producing any errors, then failing to do anything.

but yeah my issue was fixed by doing

su
busybox mount -t vfat /dev/block/vold/170:1 /sdcard

from terminal then i regained my sanity, the allwinner-nandj-cwm installed fine after that usign "recovery installer", but there really is a lack of info for the allwinner devices so far, but that could be because of the sheer number of different devices and their setups which i found out the hard way.

thats just me finding that minor issue out as a user, i really appreciate all the effort that devs must put into for even more advanced issues with these devices, keep up the good work.
Old 01/19/2013, 03:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

72ka! Very excited about your work here!
I recently read about the Exynos Kite tablet (Exynos-powered Kite tablet flies Android 4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 for ?309 ), do you think that could be a suitable next subject of your porting aswell?! I know it is not an A10, but it will come dual booting Ubuntu on it out of the box.
Seems like a good spec-ed, nice looking tablet aswell right? Hope you see any potential!
g.vos is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0