webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS on NOOK Color
Open webOS on NOOK Color
Like Tree23Likes

Old 10/14/2012, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Fresh from YouTube, by user penkia.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by CGK, Rnp, xandros9 and 2 others like this.
Thanked by Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 10/14/2012, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

shiney
Old 10/14/2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Is this booting natively? Just wondering why a software center button is needed instead of the hardware one. Maybe there aren't drivers for it yet?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

They posted more information on their blog: penk: Open webOS on NOOK Color
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 10/14/2012, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's interesting. So it's actually Ubuntu with LunaSysMgr running, hence the software home button. Not bad for a start.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
the NOOK Color is actually a piece of crap
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice!

If this can be also ported to the kindle fire first edition would be terrific, a lot of units were sold of the Fire and it has been orphaned by Amazon in favor of second edition HD so an open webOS makeover would give it new life. I don't know what is involved here but certainly ICS has been already ported to the Fire.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

the more the merrier
twint7787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

the lack of hardware graphic acceleration is telling. Haiz.. Not usable even when ported but it's a nice POC.

Come on Gr.am lets get the hardware acceleration layer going...
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 01:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
They posted more information on their blog: penk: Open webOS on NOOK Color
What's with people's fascination of hacking hardware to port WebOS, its not much of an operating system at the moment. I like the proof of concept of the whole hacking thing, cause its nice to see WebOS again running on any hardware(really ). However, at this moment just proves to me that is just a waste of time....until the team at WebOS doesn't make the improvements necessary to the operating system that is much needed, WebOS isn't offering much to us[consumers].

I think that developers/hackers need their time to be spent on LunaCE instead.
Old 10/15/2012, 01:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
What's with people's fascination of hacking hardware to port WebOS, its not much of an operating system at the moment. I like the proof of concept of the whole hacking thing, cause its nice to see WebOS again running on any hardware(really ). However, at this moment just proves to me that is just a waste of time....until the team at WebOS doesn't make the improvements necessary to the operating system that is much needed, WebOS isn't offering much to us[consumers].

I think that developers/hackers need their time to be spent on LunaCE instead.
Not a waste of tme at all,the more hackers and devs learn about building and porting Open webOS, the better
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 10/15/2012, 02:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
the NOOK Color is actually a piece of crap
Dude, chillax a bit.

Nobody is making you buy one and it is more porting work than I can cobble together.

It's generating interest in Open webOS and how can that be bad?

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 05:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Dude, chillax a bit.

Nobody is making you buy one and it is more porting work than I can cobble together.

It's generating interest in Open webOS and how can that be bad?
Just stating the obvious. I owned one for a month. I had to get 3 replacements, ALL for a broken screen. Apparently your not allowed to read outside or leave it in the sun
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

im not too impressed by the nexus video and now this. whats with all of the lag on these ports?
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 10:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
im not too impressed by the nexus video and now this. whats with all of the lag on these ports?
There's no hardware video acceleration in the "cards"-part yet.

In the Nexus video they fixed it partly for the apps, but not for the "cards"-part yet. This is being worked on by the Open webOS team in cooperation with WebOS-Ports team from what I understood.

Seeing this is all still "pre-alpha" we shouldn't expect too much.

HP has come a long way with all the improvements that were brought to Open webOS, however there are still quite some things that need fixing/improvement.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

To head off all the talk about the acceleration (or lack thereof), please remember that this is pre-alpha stuff.

There's been a lot of work done so far, but there's a lot more work to do before this becomes alphaware. If you want a timeline then I think you can look towards December (at the earliest) as being the time when we have a full Alpha release. With that in mind, it should be early next year when you'll be able to buy a device and port it.

This timeline was created based on the speed of work so far plus a little leeway in case of major issues. Go with that and if it comes in sooner, it's a pleasant surprise
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

I wish I could contribute, this is all pretty exciting, like exploring new territory. I haven't kept up with programming in the past 10 years.

Would love to know how the graphic acceleration will be achieved. Rewriting code to access the gpu directly? Also, I remember reading that Linux hardware drivers will be made available via opensource,which will be compatible with both Android & open webOS, but CDMA drivers for Linux weren't included in that, correct? (sorry if I'm in the wrong thread )
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 10/15/2012, 11:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

If you read Rod's previous posts in related threads, you're not going to get a CDMA driver.

There's a very, very good reason why they're concentrating on GSM and WiFi devices, and that's because getting CDMA drivers is literally next to impossible.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 01:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

All i have to say to this port and all the other ports is

"Thank you! You are carrying the torch of WebOS".
People have a lot to criticize but I think "Thank You" ought to be said sometimes...
Old 10/16/2012, 04:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
Would love to know how the graphic acceleration will be achieved. Rewriting code to access the gpu directly?
I think they have to write code for the Nyx compatibility and hardware abstraction layer (platform portability layer as they say). But don't quote me on that

Open webOS :: Platform Portability Layer Module Tutorial

Last edited by johnnygewitter; 10/16/2012 at 04:27 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0