Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    Fresh from YouTube, by user penkia.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yg9kt7eDgw[/YT]
    shiney
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Is this booting natively? Just wondering why a software center button is needed instead of the hardware one. Maybe there aren't drivers for it yet?
  4.    #4  
    They posted more information on their blog: penk: Open webOS on NOOK Color
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    That's interesting. So it's actually Ubuntu with LunaSysMgr running, hence the software home button. Not bad for a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    the NOOK Color is actually a piece of crap
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Nice!

If this can be also ported to the kindle fire first edition would be terrific, a lot of units were sold of the Fire and it has been orphaned by Amazon in favor of second edition HD so an open webOS makeover would give it new life. I don't know what is involved here but certainly ICS has been already ported to the Fire.
    the more the merrier
    the lack of hardware graphic acceleration is telling. Haiz.. Not usable even when ported but it's a nice POC.

Come on Gr.am lets get the hardware acceleration layer going...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    They posted more information on their blog: penk: Open webOS on NOOK Color
    What's with people's fascination of hacking hardware to port WebOS, its not much of an operating system at the moment. I like the proof of concept of the whole hacking thing, cause its nice to see WebOS again running on any hardware(really ). However, at this moment just proves to me that is just a waste of time....until the team at WebOS doesn't make the improvements necessary to the operating system that is much needed, WebOS isn't offering much to us[consumers].

I think that developers/hackers need their time to be spent on LunaCE instead.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    What's with people's fascination of hacking hardware to port WebOS, its not much of an operating system at the moment. I like the proof of concept of the whole hacking thing, cause its nice to see WebOS again running on any hardware(really ). However, at this moment just proves to me that is just a waste of time....until the team at WebOS doesn't make the improvements necessary to the operating system that is much needed, WebOS isn't offering much to us[consumers].

I think that developers/hackers need their time to be spent on LunaCE instead.
    Not a waste of tme at all,the more hackers and devs learn about building and porting Open webOS, the better
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    the NOOK Color is actually a piece of crap
    Dude, chillax a bit.

Nobody is making you buy one and it is more porting work than I can cobble together.

It's generating interest in Open webOS and how can that be bad?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Dude, chillax a bit.

Nobody is making you buy one and it is more porting work than I can cobble together.

It's generating interest in Open webOS and how can that be bad?
    Just stating the obvious. I owned one for a month. I had to get 3 replacements, ALL for a broken screen. Apparently your not allowed to read outside or leave it in the sun
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    im not too impressed by the nexus video and now this. whats with all of the lag on these ports?
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    im not too impressed by the nexus video and now this. whats with all of the lag on these ports?
    There's no hardware video acceleration in the "cards"-part yet.

In the Nexus video they fixed it partly for the apps, but not for the "cards"-part yet. This is being worked on by the Open webOS team in cooperation with WebOS-Ports team from what I understood.

Seeing this is all still "pre-alpha" we shouldn't expect too much.

HP has come a long way with all the improvements that were brought to Open webOS, however there are still quite some things that need fixing/improvement.
    To head off all the talk about the acceleration (or lack thereof), please remember that this is pre-alpha stuff.

There's been a lot of work done so far, but there's a lot more work to do before this becomes alphaware. If you want a timeline then I think you can look towards December (at the earliest) as being the time when we have a full Alpha release. With that in mind, it should be early next year when you'll be able to buy a device and port it.

This timeline was created based on the speed of work so far plus a little leeway in case of major issues. Go with that and if it comes in sooner, it's a pleasant surprise
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
    I wish I could contribute, this is all pretty exciting, like exploring new territory. I haven't kept up with programming in the past 10 years.

Would love to know how the graphic acceleration will be achieved. Rewriting code to access the gpu directly? Also, I remember reading that Linux hardware drivers will be made available via opensource,which will be compatible with both Android & open webOS, but CDMA drivers for Linux weren't included in that, correct? (sorry if I'm in the wrong thread )
    Rnp likes this.
    If you read Rod's previous posts in related threads, you're not going to get a CDMA driver.

There's a very, very good reason why they're concentrating on GSM and WiFi devices, and that's because getting CDMA drivers is literally next to impossible.
    All i have to say to this port and all the other ports is

"Thank you! You are carrying the torch of WebOS".
    People have a lot to criticize but I think "Thank You" ought to be said sometimes...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    RumoredNow, Garfonso and Rnp like this.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    Would love to know how the graphic acceleration will be achieved. Rewriting code to access the gpu directly?
    I think they have to write code for the Nyx compatibility and hardware abstraction layer (platform portability layer as they say). But don't quote me on that

Open webOS :: Platform Portability Layer Module Tutorial
    Last edited by johnnygewitter; 10/16/2012 at 05:27 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast