webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS on NOOK Color
Open webOS on NOOK Color
Like Tree23Likes

Old 10/16/2012, 07:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

For the graphics that's not true. Nyx is more related to hardware buttons, switch stuff on and off, power management and so...

The graphics part is based on OpenGL and EGL and is integrated into LunaSysMgr. It can hardware render, already.
The complicated thing is that there are (at least) two processed that render different stuff and all must be displayed on the screen at the same time. That's why in some of the videos the launcher is fast, but the cards are laggy as hell. You need to get that organized properly, especially on the mobile devices.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 10/16/2012, 08:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
For the graphics that's not true. Nyx is more related to hardware buttons, switch stuff on and off, power management and so...

The graphics part is based on OpenGL and EGL and is integrated into LunaSysMgr. It can hardware render, already.
The complicated thing is that there are (at least) two processed that render different stuff and all must be displayed on the screen at the same time. That's why in some of the videos the launcher is fast, but the cards are laggy as hell. You need to get that organized properly, especially on the mobile devices.
Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 09:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Not meant to attack you, just wanted to clarify. Actually there is not soo much happening in Nyx, yet, if you look at the last changes in the webos-ports github.

Some parts of the relevant graphics code are here
https://github.com/openwebos/luna-sy...ase/windowdata
and here
https://github.com/openwebos/luna-sy...er/Src/webbase

The RemoteWindow[Software or OpenGL or ...] class needs to talk to the corresponding HostData* class and this then does the rendering. Or both do their own rendering... or they use a shared texture, which is the most smart, but might not necessarily be available everywhere... I'm still not sure which of those paths they try to use on the gnext right now... *confused*

But you'll need to get that connected to the right EGL stuff for your platform anyway, with EGL being something like the driver specific implementation of OpenGL for that device... from what I see the egl-specific stuff is taking place in the qt part... which makes sense, because qt is used for GUI handling and also for the rendering queue.

This is about the open embedded version of open webos, i.e. the one that is build for the gnext currently. I'm not really sure what the desktop version does, which was ported to the nook, AFAIK. It seems pretty snappy when run on a ubuntu desktop. But maybe that's just because the desktop offers so many resources? Would be good to have that hardware accelerated, too... the live-cd version would be great.

If you look at the github repositories you can quite closely see what is happening (be sure to watch the "right" branch). This really is very exiting. I hope I'll be able to contribute a bit... But even if I don't manage, this still is my most thrilling webos experience I ever had and after a whole year of depression this really feels good. :-)
Liked by chalx likes this.
Thanked By: johnnygewitter
Old 10/16/2012, 10:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Oh my post was not meant sarcastically Indeed these are exciting times! I am not a professional IT guy, I just gathered from the Architecture Diagram Open webOS :: Open webOS Architecture that Nyx would be used for everything between the kernel (where, basically, the drivers reside, correct?) and the rest of the OS.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 11:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, in the kernel you have the hardware drivers, but there is some kind of hardware abstraction already. Nyx is used to connect that hardware to the right input / output of webos (for example it's more about which button is the power on/off, not so much about reacting on some hardware interrupt, at least on most devices ).

But OpenGL is a bit special here. Actually on desktop systems OpenGL already means hardware rendering, if you link against the right library, i.e. the one provided by nVidia, AMD, Intel, ...

On mobile/embedded systems it seems a bit more complicated with OpenGL ES (which basically is a defined subset of original OpenGL instructions) and EGL which is pretty close to the hardware and can change quite a bit with different hardware... EGL is something like the hardware driver here and has the responsibility to map OpenGL Es to the hardware.
Old 10/18/2012, 10:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

I've got the GPU working, and LunaSysMgr runs with OpenGL ES 2.0 enabled.

penkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Shadavis08, OldSkoolVWLover and 6 others like this.
Old 10/18/2012, 10:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Fantastic. Good video!
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 03:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

That looks like solid progress. Thanks for the promising work you've done so far.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 05:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

And now it just got better! That's epic work
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 08:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Saw this on twitter today after being away from here for a few days, looking good, loving all this progress in a short time!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 12:31 PM   #31 (permalink)

Penkia, Can you post binaries for the updated build on your blog as well?

Thanks and great work!
meshuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2012, 02:35 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuga View Post
Penkia, Can you post binaries for the updated build on your blog as well?
Thanks and great work!
Hi, the build consists of TI proprietary firmware and library,
so I don't think redistribute it is a good idea, you may want to check out this repository:
hardware-ti-sgx in rowboat - Gitorious

Do you happen to have a NOOK to test? :-)
penkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2013, 02:49 AM   #33 (permalink)

I recently picked up a Nook Color running CyanogenMod 10.3. While Android on it is, well, "okay", I'd really like to give his GPU-accelerated OpenWebOS port a try. I have the two binaries that Penkia put together but it's not entirely clear how to install them (the distros aren't available on his site, but that doesn't mean they're made of Unobtainium). Has anyone successfully installed them and/or put together some installation instructions? With the Nook being as readily available as it is, plus its convenient size, I'd really like to see how it handles OpenWebOS (which is *so* much better now that I've had a chance to play with Android for a while).

Edit: Hmm. I thought there was an error posting and started a separate thread. Maybe it was some sort of forum lag?

Last edited by Adif; 12/04/2013 at 09:27 AM.
Adif is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0