Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes
    If this can be achieved on a RaspberryPi, then that would be a basic home solution for everyone as it's low cost & low power consumption - just plug a little box into your home network and forget about it. A simple configuration system would help the average non-techie user.

And I agree that if a local backup system can be combined with save/restore, then it's a one stop solution.
    Hummm... there is no chance do just "copy & zip" the device content and "copy back while unziping" inside later, in the same or other device?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Preemptive and xandros9 like this.
    Come on Rnp, just come out and say what we're all thinking:

HOTSYNC!

;-)

I mean, if Open webOS will run on an Ubuntu PC, how long before some homebrew developer builds...

...webOS Desktop!
    xandros9 and RumoredNow like this.
    In some cases, you won't even need a RaspberryPi.

Some WiFi routers support OpenWRT (and other similar "linux on a router" firmware builds) and also support having a USB flash drive plugged into the USB port (you will need a special cable though).

This would allow one to turn a compatible router (need a list of them) into a pass-through backup server, which can intercept Palm Profile backup traffic to store a local copy, or pull down a backup from the profile server, or act as a standalone backup server for the local network (or even remote backups while you're traveling)

While this isn't something that exists in a ready-to-use form, I'm not new to messing around with routers and this is definitely doable
    if you want to test using my pogoplug server, just let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    In some cases, you won't even need a RaspberryPi.

Some WiFi routers support OpenWRT (and other similar "linux on a router" firmware builds) and also support having a USB flash drive plugged into the USB port (you will need a special cable though).

This would allow one to turn a compatible router (need a list of them) into a pass-through backup server, which can intercept Palm Profile backup traffic to store a local copy, or pull down a backup from the profile server, or act as a standalone backup server for the local network (or even remote backups while you're traveling)

While this isn't something that exists in a ready-to-use form, I'm not new to messing around with routers and this is definitely doable
    Great!

Anyone want a lung? There is no problem to me, I have two...

(I can see Moderators calling my attention for the bad joke in 3... 2... 1... )

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12