webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS Professional Edition
Open webOS Professional Edition
Like Tree33Likes

Old 08/30/2014, 01:19 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
LuneOS still is its own OS with all the advantages and disadvantage... advantage is that it is very much like legacy webOS (although still more unstable and lacks a lot of stuff, still, sadly, but with synergy and goodies like that). Disadvantage is that you can't just run Android apps on it.
Two features I have been thinking of that will be hard to bring to LuneOS that would have some level of significance would be voice-to-text and maps/navigation. There are open source libraries for each. Might even be able to use Google's API for directions for a turn-by-turn (https://developers.google.com/maps/d...ections/?csw=1). Other I have found is http://openrouteservice.org/
Did/will the PDK survive the port to LuneOS? That might make things easier as there seems to be more Objective C open source material on these things. (Although, enyo would be preferable)

Of course this is way off, but it is good to have some image of your destination or you'll never get there.
Old 09/02/2014, 01:57 AM   #82 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Uhm.. I'm not an expert in these things.. but from what I undestand you should be able to run native QT applications, at least...
We also have a way to load binary plugins to webapps, AFAIK the settings app does this. But I don't know how mature that is.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2014, 02:46 AM   #83 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Uhm.. I'm not an expert in these things.. but from what I undestand you should be able to run native QT applications, at least...
We also have a way to load binary plugins to webapps, AFAIK the settings app does this. But I don't know how mature that is.
QT apps should work indeed AFAIK, as long as they don't use proprietary stuff specific for another platform
Old 09/02/2014, 04:01 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
Two features I have been thinking of that will be hard to bring to LuneOS that would have some level of significance would be voice-to-text and maps/navigation. ...
If it's about the market, I would say, there are many, webOS could adress. I am thinking of disabled people. There are not that many Apps or AddOns or Skins or so, that support people who are deaf or even blind for example.

I know a lot of blind people and most of them use iOS because the "voice over" function is better than what android is offering. But as a whole, the smartphones seem to lack usability for disabled people and I wonder, if that could be a market to conquer.
Old 09/02/2014, 11:35 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
If it's about the market, I would say, there are many, webOS could adress. I am thinking of disabled people. There are not that many Apps or AddOns or Skins or so, that support people who are deaf or even blind for example.

I know a lot of blind people and most of them use iOS because the "voice over" function is better than what android is offering. But as a whole, the smartphones seem to lack usability for disabled people and I wonder, if that could be a market to conquer.
That and voice-to-text are both very far off. Right now the focus is on creating a stable and portable operating system. Features such as these are quite very far. The positive is that features like these will be open to development to the community, eventually. But for now, they are a long ways away.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0