webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS Professional Edition
Open webOS Professional Edition
Like Tree33Likes

Old 10/18/2012, 08:00 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
I like this idea, maybe a patch could be made to the alarm clock function to allow this to happen, although handling the snooze function could be a little complex.
I know: have the alarm start Exhibition mode, and have a dashboard for snooze if needed.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 03:11 AM   #62 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
you guys are making me want to get pre3 and drop my nexus...ugh!

but in regards to gram, some seem to only be thinking phones(as much as i would love that), Open webOS could be use for many different things, conference rooms a/v systems, universal remotes, lighting systems, kiosks(malls, hotels, airports, car rentals...etc) car systems(infotainment systems w/ multi controls on headrests for the rear passengers)

just had a pretty sweet futuristic idea about just touch panels in it self and webos could be utilized in w/ especially if we had the touchstone v2 tech.(knowing which touchstone its one..different exhibition scenario)

future: most surfaces are interactive(mirrors, table/counter tops, hell the walls, fridge doors) and can all be connected

so phone on touchstone next to bed, alarm goes off and your "morning" apps load, you have it preset to send the latest news app to your mirror in the bath room, and what ever news channel(s) to the shower.

dressed and ready to roll grab phone of touchstone and it knows to close the news app, but keep the tv app goin while you listen to the news on your way to the kitchen for breakfast, tv app may even follow you on the wall or something. in kitchen place phone on another touchstone, and it launches another set of apps(weather, remember the milk(checks smart fridge) stocks, agenda). time to go to work, cause it is the work profile you are using and closes all apps.

in car touchstone launches its apps(music, navigation(for traffic avoidance, not because you dont know your way to work), trapster, and some cheap fuel(gas, electric, hydrogen, arc reactor(you got yours 1/4 life left on it) and youre off

oh i love to my imagination

oh and if in the car you have multiple screens you can be controlled individually or w/ the master head unit(i think thats possible now...hmm, been a while since i messed w/ car a/v)
Already envisioned... A Day Made Of Glass Corning's Vision For The Future With Specialty Glass At The Heart Of It VIDEO - YouTube

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by retroblu and blackfireball5 like this.
Thanked By: blackfireball5
Old 10/19/2012, 08:15 AM   #63 (permalink)

I've seen that before. Very enjoyable. Two things:

1- its got to be fake, anyone with kids don't have a house that clean.
2- some of that kind of reminded me of LunaCE

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 08:57 AM   #64 (permalink)
Rnp

I have now (forgetting others hundreds that gone) Pr, Pr Plus, Pr 2, Veer, Pr, Touchpad, Incredible 2, Photon, GL S Player 5, Epic 4G, GTab 2...

To me, the Pr is better than all. With or without bugs.

Just a detail; I has more reboots and other bugs problems with the AT&T Pr than EU Pr. but only 8GB is bad.

I don't know if I'll can try OWO professional, amateur, oficial, community... I want is to use!

Best Regards...
Old 10/19/2012, 11:35 AM   #65 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
I've seen that before. Very enjoyable. Two things:

1- its got to be fake, anyone with kids don't have a house that clean.
2- some of that kind of reminded me of LunaCE

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I'm pretty sure I saw it before through a link dropped on this board and retroblu's post reminded me of it...

1-In the near future having connectivity on every glass surface miraculously makes children much less messy.
2-webOS card system of UI is a natural fit with the intuitive interactions shown in the video.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 01:18 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
I have now (forgetting others hundreds that gone) Pr, Pr Plus, Pr 2, Veer, Pr, Touchpad, Incredible 2, Photon, GL S Player 5, Epic 4G, GTab 2...

To me, the Pr is better than all. With or without bugs.

Just a detail; I has more reboots and other bugs problems with the AT&T Pr than EU Pr. but only 8GB is bad.

I don't know if I'll can try OWO professional, amateur, oficial, community... I want is to use!

Best Regards...
Yeah, I'm finding the AT&T version is more glitchy than the EU version, am thinking about doctoring with stock 2.2.4
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 02:02 PM   #67 (permalink)

well there you go.....
retroblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/18/2014, 08:08 AM   #68 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Seems like LG is still working on the Pro version

Quote:
:Issues Addressed:
[CTO-421] emulator could not boot on webos-pro build
Old 08/18/2014, 08:35 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
The most interesting post for months.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Preemptive like this.
Old 08/18/2014, 08:17 PM   #70 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I have to say Herrie is a great ambassador for the porting team. I wonder how many would still be here without his insights and updates about the work that's being done.
Old 08/21/2014, 01:21 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
For us technically "slightly challenged":
Are the things LG put into the GitHub repository usable in anyway for WebOS Ports efforts to port our beloved OS to a Nexus device?
I might be naive, but OWO being "open source", there should be something like "community working together on one software", or shouldn't it? Is everone pulling together on the same cord?

So, regarding this, how are things generally on the OWO front?
Old 08/21/2014, 02:29 AM   #72 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Are the things LG put into the GitHub repository usable in anyway for WebOS Ports efforts to port our beloved OS to a Nexus device?
That depends a bit on which part they work...
Most of the UI part is replaced in LuneOS, because the old structure was disadvantageous to run on Android Systems. So Luna-next was created from scratch to replace old luna UI.
Many other internal parts (like db8, ...) is taken from Open WebOS, so improvements there would go into LuneOS, too.

Quote:
I might be naive, but OWO being "open source", there should be something like "community working together on one software", or shouldn't it? Is everone pulling together on the same cord?
Yeah, sadly this is a bit naive...

From what I see the current Open WebOS has not sooo much in common with what is on the TVs and what runs on the Nexus phones (LuneOS)... also improvements / changes from the Ports team do not really flow back into Open webOS... we do not really know why. Probably because they were on components that are not really maintained anymore.

The part where work with the community is organized best is the Enyo 2 framework.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2014, 09:43 AM   #73 (permalink)
hux

someone hit up that lg guy yet to see if we can get some secret information (for the internetz)?

makes me very excited to see herries find. hopefully *something* will happen, and I don't add a "soon" here.
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2014, 01:07 PM   #74 (permalink)

If the old Luna UI does not work very well on android devices, both webOS-Ports and LG should be having the same problem in bringing webOS to Nexus devices. Luna Next was created by webOS-Ports to solve this problem. What is LG developing for their testing?
Old 08/21/2014, 02:42 PM   #75 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Most of the UI part is replaced in LuneOS, because the old structure was disadvantageous to run on Android Systems. So Luna-next was created from scratch to replace old luna UI.
Many other internal parts (like db8, ...) is taken from Open WebOS, so improvements there would go into LuneOS, too.
Hmmm. I thought Luna was rewritten to take advantage of new technology (e.g. Qt5). I didn't realise it was for Android or is that just the libhybris bit? Will there be an impact on functionality? Like proper multitasking? I mean, there are plenty of skins for Android including webOS style ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
If the old Luna UI does not work very well on android devices, both webOS-Ports and LG should be having the same problem in bringing webOS to Nexus devices. Luna Next was created by webOS-Ports to solve this problem. What is LG developing for their testing?
Well, if it was me, I'd say use LunaNext. It's free and open source... Maybe they are forking it! ;-)

But it is worth remembering that port targets for LuneOS are those accessible to Cyanogenmod and the like: Android phones with unlockable bootloaders. The drivers are proprietary, but accessible as part of the official Android distro for that device. The TP is accessible because a couple had Android installed by HP. The Pre3 would be tricky because it never had Android drivers. LG make the Nexus 5. They know how it works and can make webOS drivers for it if they want...

So no, LG shouldn't be having the same problems with their own hardware. If they are writing webOS drivers (IF!), then it may be that there could be 'native' webOS on LG devices and LuneOS on other Android models. I wonder if there would be any performance difference? Maybe not.

Last edited by Preemptive; 08/21/2014 at 02:50 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2014, 07:09 PM   #76 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

luna-sysmgr is basically dead. Literally no one cares one bit about it. If anyone were using it, I'd lobby to the powers at LG to allow me to take it over, but since literally NO ONE is using it ANYWHERE, it's pretty much DOA.

I don't think there's been too much in the way of patches to any other components coming in from the outside world. If anyone wants to start contributing, though, certainly get my attention.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2014, 11:41 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Well, if it was me, I'd say use LunaNext. It's free and open source... Maybe they are forking it! ;-)

But it is worth remembering that port targets for LuneOS are those accessible to Cyanogenmod and the like: Android phones with unlockable bootloaders. The drivers are proprietary, but accessible as part of the official Android distro for that device. The TP is accessible because a couple had Android installed by HP. The Pre3 would be tricky because it never had Android drivers. LG make the Nexus 5. They know how it works and can make webOS drivers for it if they want...

So no, LG shouldn't be having the same problems with their own hardware. If they are writing webOS drivers (IF!), then it may be that there could be 'native' webOS on LG devices and LuneOS on other Android models. I wonder if there would be any performance difference? Maybe not.
Ya makes sense, I am still very interested in what they are doing with the original code. Their CEO has already said they are interested in bringing webOS to other products.

Samsung has their own operating system called Tizen that they have been trying to get to work. However, they are having quite a few road blocks such as app support and such. I think that owning and controlling the software is an attractive bit to OEMs like LG and Samsung. Trying to stand out in the Android-sphere is rather hard. I don't know how LG would go about introducing webOS phones whilst making Android devices in an effective way. TV's were rather easy and that market was waiting for a smart TV you didn't have to learn how to use.
Old 08/22/2014, 12:52 AM   #78 (permalink)

Soooo ... lemme ask another naive question (I am good at that )

Am I right with following:
WebOSPorts works on OpenWebOS?
LG works on WebOS Professional?

How much helpful "crossovers" could there be expected? Is LG maybe testing if their new WebOS including the UI they use at the TVs are fit for use on a mobile phone? Wouldn't that be a different direction from what WebOS Ports are doing?

(Man, I am full of naive questions today )
Old 08/22/2014, 02:35 AM   #79 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Soooo ... lemme ask another naive question (I am good at that )

Am I right with following:
WebOSPorts works on OpenWebOS?
LG works on WebOS Professional?

How much helpful "crossovers" could there be expected? Is LG maybe testing if their new WebOS including the UI they use at the TVs are fit for use on a mobile phone? Wouldn't that be a different direction from what WebOS Ports are doing?

(Man, I am full of naive questions today )
WebOS Ports FORKED Open webOS, uses the bits that are useful from it (db access, API etc) and added various updated and new bits (QT5, WebKit2, oFono, BlueZ, gStreamer update etc) that are not part of Open webOS or only older versions were included in Open webOS.

LunaSysMgr was basically stripped from it's UI completely and the UI has been replaced by Luna-Next which has been rebuilt from scratch using QT5 and mainly in QML. This gives a very smooth and quick UI because all the legacy isn't there anymore. Of course rebuilding this from scratch using new technologies gives quite some bugs too but we're getting there.

Where possible any fixes to bugs found in the Open webOS code are pushed upstream for LG to integrate. LG is actively working on various core components of Open webOS and fixing bugs. We're of course using the fixes from LG as well
Old 08/29/2014, 08:04 AM   #80 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Hmmm. I thought Luna was rewritten to take advantage of new technology (e.g. Qt5). I didn't realise it was for Android or is that just the libhybris bit? Will there be an impact on functionality? Like proper multitasking? I mean, there are plenty of skins for Android including webOS style ones...
Uh... were did you read that from? I must have said something easily to misunderstand, then...
It is not a skin for Android nor is Android running in the background. From what I understand, only the drivers are used from Android.

But that is where the issue was with LunaSysMgr... it uses two frame buffers, where Android only supports one. So all the graphic drivers for Android only support one frame buffer, too and you couldn't properly run LunaSysMgr with them (at least not hardware accelerated). That is what costed the webos-ports team about one year of trial and error effort to learn the hardway... :-/

So it is basically some feature in drivers that is essentially needed for LunaSysMgr but just not there on Android graphic drivers, therefore, without drivers designed specially for webOS (which are non existent on typical Android devices ), LunaSysMgr is screwed.

LuneOS still is its own OS with all the advantages and disadvantage... advantage is that it is very much like legacy webOS (although still more unstable and lacks a lot of stuff, still, sadly, but with synergy and goodies like that). Disadvantage is that you can't just run Android apps on it.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Saijin_Naib likes this.
Thanked By: MudShark22

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0