webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > htc evo porting webos
htc evo porting webos
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Garfonso

Old 10/11/2012, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

earlier I posted a thread about porting webOS on htc hero but I'm guessing it can't be done so what about on the evo? Is the hardware still to old?
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

For every port you first need to determine if you actually can run something unintended on that devices... in the Android world that means you have to "unlock the bootloader".

Then, the next step, is to find out if there are driver for the device that you can use... or if that all is closed source. In the latter case you most probably are screwed... you then only have the chance to try to build all the webos stuff around the original kernel... but that is
1) A lot of work
2) possibly won't work at all anyways...

Another way is chroot stuff and so on... actually there are many ways and with a lot of effort, I am quite sure that you can run open webos on about anything... the question is: is it too much of effort?

Currently the most knowing people from this community are hard at work to port open webos onto the Galaxy Nexus. During this effort, they'll learn a lot... maybe one day, if the build process is better understood and what is needed for the layer between the device and open webos, one can think about other hardware, too... it will get easier. But today it's still a far way to go.

You can start trying to compile something and stuff.. no one can stop you. In fact, if you dig into it and come up with questions, I am sure people will actually try to help you... If you want to take that adventure and have the knowledge (or are willing to learn, i.e. read a lot of stuff, try a lot of stuff), feel free to go on.

But at the current point in time it makes no sense to "request" ports to random devices. Find something to use as daily driver, save some money each month for a Galaxy Nexus and in the time where your saved money stock and the price of the Galaxy Nexus meet, you can maybe run open webos on it as a new every day phone...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by retroblu and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by getsun, RumoredNow
Old 10/12/2012, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
For every port you first need to determine if you actually can run something unintended on that devices... in the Android world that means you have to "unlock the bootloader".

Then, the next step, is to find out if there are driver for the device that you can use... or if that all is closed source. In the latter case you most probably are screwed... you then only have the chance to try to build all the webos stuff around the original kernel... but that is
1) A lot of work
2) possibly won't work at all anyways...

Another way is chroot stuff and so on... actually there are many ways and with a lot of effort, I am quite sure that you can run open webos on about anything... the question is: is it too much of effort?

Currently the most knowing people from this community are hard at work to port open webos onto the Galaxy Nexus. During this effort, they'll learn a lot... maybe one day, if the build process is better understood and what is needed for the layer between the device and open webos, one can think about other hardware, too... it will get easier. But today it's still a far way to go.

You can start trying to compile something and stuff.. no one can stop you. In fact, if you dig into it and come up with questions, I am sure people will actually try to help you... If you want to take that adventure and have the knowledge (or are willing to learn, i.e. read a lot of stuff, try a lot of stuff), feel free to go on.

But at the current point in time it makes no sense to "request" ports to random devices. Find something to use as daily driver, save some money each month for a Galaxy Nexus and in the time where your saved money stock and the price of the Galaxy Nexus meet, you can maybe run open webos on it as a new every day phone...
Very well said.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks that was well explained and I do believe the bootloader is unlocked. If I had the time I would try to port it after most of the bugs are worked out. Great job WebosInternals!
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0