webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > wm8650 for webOS
wm8650 for webOS
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By T-Pad

Old 10/10/2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hy !
I would like to ask your webOs developer has to do with the system to the WonderMedia WM8650 Android Tablet PC .
You help us a lot on it.
Tab pc information

1, 800MHz CPU.
2, 256 mb ram
3, 2gb Nad flash memorias
4, 7' screen (800x480)
dannju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Seems a bit low on specs. You won't have much space for the media partition because all of the system partitions would have taken over 1 GB of space.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Seems a bit low on specs. You won't have much space for the media partition because all of the system partitions would have taken over 1 GB of space.
Yup, what this man says. The processor and RAM aren't going to make life easy but the main limiting factor would be that 2Gb of memory, just too little to justify it.
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mind you, the media partition doesn't store just photos and music, but also apps. That means you have less than 1 GB of space for apps. Reminds me of the HTC Legend, where they say they have 512MB storage, but only about 100MB - 200MB is available for apps. Get a dozen apps, and you can fit no more.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 10/10/2012, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

I would be shocked if it does anything with 256 megs of ram.

Look at the Pre3 with 512k, can't imagine 3.x is less memory intensive than the Pre3 version.

I'm guessing it has an SD card slot, but know nothing of the device. I say it's a non-starter due to processor and RAM.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can't someone post a Sys. Requirement for Open web-os??
or at least pointers !
Thank you!!
Onanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Probably not, no. But that tablets specs leave out running pretty much anything on it, I'd say.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/10/2012, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

If you look at it on Alibaba: Wondermedia Wm8650 Android Tablet - Buy Wondermedia Wm8650 Android Tablet,Wondermedia Wm8650 Android Tablet,Wondermedia Wm8650 Android Tablet Product on Alibaba.com

There is room in the specs to make it a decent tab. You have to bulk-order at $45-110 per unit with a minimum order of 100 units. The factory claims they can produce 5,000 per day.

Optional Choices Include:
Cortex A9 or A10 from 800 MHz to 2 GHz
iNAND Flash Memory in 4, 8, 16 or 32 GB
7, 8 or 10 inch display

Stock For All Configurations:
1 GB DDR3 RAM
External card support to 32 GB
1080P Video Playback
Front 1.3 MP, Rear 5MP Cameras
WiFi, Bluetooth and USB (both host and slave)
4900 mAH Battery
Android 4.0 ICS (though I would question if it is compliant for Google Play)

Interestingly at that price it also includes WCDMA/EVDO 3g built-in.

I dare say an enterprising Dev could bulk order, reflash with OpenSource webOS and resell at a profit if they could get all the drivers lined up...

Now where is the GSM radio equipped model? That would be an easier sell for data only SIM card plans...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wondermedia.jpg (241.5 KB, 11 views) Email Attachment

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

This was something I found on YouTube: Wondermedia WM 8650 tablet review (all over Ebay) really inexpensive tablet - YouTube. Look at how slowly Angry Birds run.
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 10/10/2012, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
This was something I found on YouTube: Wondermedia WM 8650 tablet review (all over Ebay) really inexpensive tablet - YouTube. Look at how slowly Angry Birds run.
800 MHz CPU and 256 MB RAM...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 10:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
And look at the annotation declaring it a dud that died after only 4 months. This is typical of cheap no-name Shenzhen tablets with largely no-name components very likely posing as knocked-off name-brand components. In fact, 4 months might be pushing its useful life considering the build quality of 90% of those devices.

If you liked the build quality of the original Pre, you'll simply love the build quality and stellar performance of cheap Chinese devices. There are exceptions, but the prices on anything with decent build quality and good parts are much, much closer to the retail prices we pay overseas. You get what you pay for.

Also, raw Ghz/Mhz means nothing; an 800Mhz chip from a lower-level vendor (VIA) like this device uses may perform like a 450Mhz chip from a top-tier vendor. Numbers don't mean squat, especially in the CPU world. Benchmarks, however, do.

People shouldn't get excited for what amount to crap devices.

Last edited by dignitary; 10/10/2012 at 10:16 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

I was wondering can Open webos Run on mips because those ainol or ingenic tablet looks pretty good (~1Ghz;1Gb of Ram ) and the prices are decent too, less than $150!
Old 10/11/2012, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onanii View Post
I was wondering can Open webos Run on mips because those ainol or ingenic tablet looks pretty good (~1Ghz;1Gb of Ram ) and the prices are decent too, less than $150!
Distributions - LinuxMIPS

Yes, but why? The Nexus 7 is so cheap, and so good, it makes sense to target something like that. Since Ubuntu already runs on Tegra 3, there'd be a lot less pain.
joeblurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Although i kinda like the idea of having a neat tablet i dont think invest in "Google bound hardware" will lead other hardware maker to join the Open-webos ship!!

and Open Webos !=(is not equal to) Open Embedded

and the best advantage on those mips tablet is output and the hdd capacity(SD card)
here a little link Yahoo question Nexus 7 vs Ainol tablet

Last edited by Onanii; 10/11/2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10/11/2012, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onanii View Post
and Open Webos !=(is not equal to) Open Embedded
Actually Open webOS supports two separate build platforms at present - Ubuntu on x86, and OpenEmbedded. The porting work being undertaken by WebOS Ports to certain Android devices is possible thanks to OpenEmbedded. If OE supports MIPS, as I've already shown it does, the porting effort to eventually run webOS on a MIPS device should take no more effort than to an ARM device, so long as specific hardware drivers are either available or can be reverse-engineered.
Old 10/12/2012, 02:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

From http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded-Core:
The scope of OE-core is as follows:
Support for five architectures: ARM, x86, x86-64, PowerPC and MIPS
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 10/12/2012, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

In addition to the porting jazz, we have to be very careful, in all of these conversations, to remember the Megahertz Myth. A CPU's specific clock cycle doesn't necessarily mean equivalence with competing architectures.

Megahertz Myth - Wikipedia

MIPS devices may appear to be competitive with single-core or dual-core ARM devices, but ARM has a significant (read: decade-long) head start on Chinese-originated processors.

In terms of pure performance there are plenty of x86 tablets that would satisfy Open webOS's hardware needs and then some, but mobile SoCs are famously centred on performance-per-Watt and power efficiency. ARM is a fragmented platform and a pain in the **** for Torvalds and the LF, but ARM has significant performance advantages, as well as affordable and simple licensing requirements, that leave even the most significant of native MIPS platforms a generation or two behind current ARM or Intel technologies.

I honestly pray that the market won't always be like this. But we as a community need to evangelise the idea of webOS on commonplace, accessible hardware, not on experimental and (potentially) disappointing academic OS exercises. WebOS, MeeGo et al have such compelling UI models it's very difficult to imagine the sheer loss of money and talent involved in cancelling such projects. Nokia itself will outlast WP8, but Win 8 itself will encounter a much harder, perhaps even more harmonious, set of awkward Mojo gabions.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0