webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Gesture Area on GNex port
Gesture Area on GNex port
  Reply
Like Tree19Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/10/2012, 01:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I guess that's where the market is now... A 4" screen is "Mini."
LOL I was thinking the same thing...
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 10/10/2012, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue's Avatar
 
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I guess that's where the market is now... A 4" screen is "Mini."
Can someone please explain this madness to me? Apple is set to introduce a smaller iPad to please the market because iPads are too large and phone screens are getting massive because people complain the screens are too small.
__________________
If you disagree with me, please keep it civil.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 02:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
boovish's Avatar
 
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
It improved quite a bit already if you ask me compared to the 1st video we saw. There's still a lot of work required, but progress is being made steadily I just wish I would know more of the *nix workings in order to contribute to the progress.
I suppose so :/
__________________
HP Think Beyond event link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 02:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post
Can someone please explain this madness to me? Apple is set to introduce a smaller iPad to please the market because iPads are too large and phone screens are getting massive because people complain the screens are too small.
It's simple - manufacturers are trying to cover every angle on today's market. For me 4" is perfect for phone. 10" tablet is great for indoor use and 7" tablet is convenient for carrying in jacket pocket. I still don't dig those “phablets” but I can see them more and more on the streets.
I'm pleased with fact that Apple is finally released 4" phone because after Galaxy S, 3.5" screen looks too small for me. I'm aiming at N9 but who knows now when Sammy announced 4" Galaxy S3 “mini”...
Believe me guys, when you spend week with 4" phone, you will change your mind.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 03:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue's Avatar
 
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
It's simple - manufacturers are trying to cover every angle on today's market. For me 4" is perfect for phone. 10" tablet is great for indoor use and 7" tablet is convenient for carrying in jacket pocket. I still don't dig those “phablets” but I can see them more and more on the streets.
I'm pleased with fact that Apple is finally released 4" phone because after Galaxy S, 3.5" screen looks too small for me. I'm aiming at N9 but who knows now when Sammy announced 4" Galaxy S3 “mini”...
Believe me guys, when you spend week with 4" phone, you will change your mind.
I guess my sarcasm wasn't plain enough. Anyway, I agree that a 4" screen is just about the perfect size. Unfortunately, there isn't a 4" webOS phone made yet. YET. That's why this development is so exciting.
__________________
If you disagree with me, please keep it civil.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 03:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Believe me guys, when you spend week with 4" phone, you will change your mind.
Anything much bigger than the Pre3 and I would prefer the note and larger. Basically Pre3 in a generic (made for a BB phone) softcase is the same size as my wallet (literally almost the exact same size). I have both things in my pocket, I don't need the phone to be any bigger my pockets are full enough. If I need anything bigger than the Pre3 I would rather go a good deal of amount larger (5 inches+).

With all that said, a stable release of webOS on a GNex and I will want to buy one...
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 10/10/2012, 04:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post
I guess my sarcasm wasn't plain enough. Anyway, I agree that a 4" screen is just about the perfect size. Unfortunately, there isn't a 4" webOS phone made yet. YET. That's why this development is so exciting.
no, it's fine,
my English is underdeveloped.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 08:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I guess that's where the market is now... A 4" screen is "Mini."
yup that's where the market is. it's all about large phones, fast cpu's with 2gb of ram. i used to think a 4.3" was big but now that i own my galaxy s 3 with a 4.8 it doesn't feel big to me at all. i haven't owned a webos device in a few years but ill for sure run this on my device if it ever gets ported.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 02:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
webos_ftw's Avatar
 
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I guess that's where the market is now... A 4" screen is "Mini."
isn't the Veer like 30% smaller than that?
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 03:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue's Avatar
 
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
isn't the Veer like 30% smaller than that?
I guess that would make the Veer a "micro"phone. This got me thinking, if Apple is releasing the iPad "mini" would that make the regular iPad a MaxiPad? No offense to the ladies.
__________________
If you disagree with me, please keep it civil.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 10/11/2012, 03:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
gerzhwin's Avatar
 
Posts: 283
Quote:
isn't the Veer like 30% smaller than that?
That’s right, so it’s ‘micro’ size …
__________________
webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 07:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
grappler's Avatar
 
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
That’s right, so it’s ‘micro’ size …
*shrug* I'm replying on a Veer right now. No worries--the kb on this thing rocks.
grappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 08:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler View Post
*shrug* I'm replying on a Veer right now. No worries--the kb on this thing rocks.
I'm quite happy with my pre2, non of the new giant phones excite me. Wish I had your veer keyboard tho
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 03:02 AM   #34 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
isn't the Veer like 30% smaller than that?
The other day at work, during lunch, I was cruising the internet on my Veer and someone put a Galaxy S III on the table and I lay my Veer on top of it. It took up only about 1/3 of the screen...

Blew peoples minds.
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 10/12/2012, 03:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I'm quite happy with my pre2, non of the new giant phones excite me. Wish I had your veer keyboard tho
Are you stuck on Sprint, my friend?

Go to Walmart. com and grab a BNIB Veer unlocked for $119.96 $109.96 then put it on Straight Talk unlimited everything for $45 a month.

Best deal around for a cool little phone and a value plan.
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 10/12/2012 at 01:08 PM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 08:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Are you stuck on Sprint, my friend?

Go to Walmart. com and grab a BNIB Veer unlocked for $119.96 then put it on Straight Talk unlimited everything for $45 a month.

Best deal around for a cool little phone and a value plan.
I don't know how people use such small phones.

Maybe it's just me being sausage fingers, but I screw up sometimes on the on-screen keyboard on my Galaxy Nexus. I shudder to imagine how bad I'd be with a 2.6" phone XD
Michael Alan Goff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 09:57 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
jcerwinske's Avatar
 
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alan Goff View Post
on-screen keyboard
Well there's your problem right there . I can probably type 3x as fast and accurate on small pre2 physical keypad than on giant touchpad virtual one.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 11:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alan Goff View Post
I don't know how people use such small phones.

Maybe it's just me being sausage fingers, but I screw up sometimes on the on-screen keyboard on my Galaxy Nexus. I shudder to imagine how bad I'd be with a 2.6" phone XD
My fingers are pretty wide so I actually make contact with my nails (they're not that long). Either way, use the side of your thumbs rather than the flat of any digit
__________________
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 12:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alan Goff View Post
I don't know how people use such small phones.

Maybe it's just me being sausage fingers, but I screw up sometimes on the on-screen keyboard on my Galaxy Nexus. I shudder to imagine how bad I'd be with a 2.6" phone XD
I loath VKB... Veer solves that nicely by including an Honest-To-God, actual, real and very tactile keyboard that has a solid feel to the button press...

__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/12/2012, 03:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue's Avatar
 
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I loath VKB... Veer solves that nicely by including an Honest-To-God, actual, real and very tactile keyboard that has a solid feel to the button press...

Click to view quoted image
I agree that VKB's are not very user-friendly, at least to us older fellas. However, the Veer is just too small. My wife loved her Veer but she's back on the Pre2 because of the screen size. For me, even the Pre is difficult to type one-handed because it feels too small. I would love to see the Treo 650 keyboard on ANY device. IMO, that was the best of all including the Moto Q.
__________________
If you disagree with me, please keep it civil.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0