webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Galaxy note 2 source code
Galaxy note 2 source code
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 10/09/2012, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

I don't know if recent Samsung's release of Note 2 source code has some value for Open webOS porters, but that device looks attractive.
Old 10/09/2012, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

1.6Ghz quad core processor and 2Gb of RAM? Man, that'd make most things fly! Unfortunately, Samsung have released very little of what the devs need and so they're unwilling to commit the time to crack the drivers so it's extremely unlikely to happen any time soon.

Note 2 with webOS would be kick *** though
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

would be freakin cool, I've been joking about getting a note... the original is only $50 on contract now for refurb.

(not seriously considering it because it could never be my daily phone...if open webOS hit one though I would look at picking one up for fun)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2012, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
TJB

The Note 2 looks like my next phone. Replacing my Franken Pre 2. Looking forward to ditching my newly required reading glasses. lol
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2012, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB View Post
The Note 2 looks like my next phone. Replacing my Franken Pre 2. Looking forward to ditching my newly required reading glasses. lol
The need for reading glasses does not go away with screen size. Eyes age faster than most body parts. Get used to it, Brother.

Signed,
An Old Dude

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJB likes this.
Thanked By: TJB
Old 10/18/2012, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
1.6Ghz quad core processor and 2Gb of RAM? Man, that'd make most things fly! Unfortunately, Samsung have released very little of what the devs need and so they're unwilling to commit the time to crack the drivers so it's extremely unlikely to happen any time soon.

Note 2 with webOS would be kick *** though
I am seriously considering the Sprint Note 2. I want the S Pen.

So to understand there must be more source code released by Samsung to even make it possible?

Are there any other carrier or device hardware/software that restrict this from happening?

Thanks.
Old 10/18/2012, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Apart from phone driver (Sprint being CDMA), no, it's all down to cracking the software. However, there's an immense amount of work to go with that and it's not certain that anyone will tackle it.
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

So the Sprint CDMA blocks in any event?

The Note was very popular, I expect the Note 2 will even be more popular with an industry wide launch on all major carriers, so, hopefully someone would see the opportunity. I'd pay for a version on the Note 2 without hesitation.
Old 10/19/2012, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdod View Post
So the Sprint CDMA blocks in any event?

The Note was very popular, I expect the Note 2 will even be more popular with an industry wide launch on all major carriers, so, hopefully someone would see the opportunity. I'd pay for a version on the Note 2 without hesitation.
It's an issue with CDMA radio drivers... there are no open source CDMA drivers... so it's a done deal, worldwide standard is GSM.

Hate to keep repeating this, but if you want options you will have to drop CDMA regardless of carrier. Thankfully this was financially possible for us, but I understand it is not possible for everyone.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Thanked By: jdod
Old 10/20/2012, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Where dose LTE fit in here just asking? Is is a version of cdma gsm or another whole thing
john mcconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Provided there is a shot the Note 2 would at some point get a webOS OS, I have no problem getting a Note 2 on a GSM carrier, I am thinking about having 2 phones anyway. I am heavily invested in MS Dynamics and Office365 for my company so was considering a Windows phone for the tightest integration there. I don't see a second phone being a iPhone 5, I am so bored with the 4s.

So what is the best GSM carriers in the US to consider? I assume the options are US Cellular, ATT and T-Mobile?

Thanks.
Old 10/22/2012, 05:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mcconnell View Post
Where dose LTE fit in here just asking? Is is a version of cdma gsm or another whole thing
LTE is data only from what I have been told....

also see this comment from Rod
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3356534

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0