webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Huawei Devices Open Source files?
Huawei Devices Open Source files?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/09/2012, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The Huawei MediaPad seems to have quite some bits and pieces available as open source, including Kernel, Bluez and WebKit:

HUAWEI MediaPad - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

The same goes for the P1 dual core phone:
Huawei Ascend P1 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Is this any useful for porting or would we need other bits to be open sourced as well?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

to bad our government just advised the whole nation to not do business with that company and ZTE as well lol don't expect much coming to the states from them now lol
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
to bad our government just advised the whole nation to not do business with that company and ZTE as well lol don't expect much coming to the states from them now lol
"The soup is not eaten at hot as it's served" is a quite common expression over here in NL. I think there will be some discussions between the 2 countries.

US Law actually requires US hardware makers to implement 'backdoors':
Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something about pot and kettle....
Old 10/09/2012, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
"The soup is not eaten at hot as it's served" is a quite common expression over here in NL. I think there will be some discussions between the 2 countries.

Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hein????? Requires backdoors???

This is new to me...

Best Regards...
Old 10/09/2012, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

unless the media outs that stuff and floods the news world with it , those 2 companies are dead here lol

has anyone noticed that anytime a company comes out with a webos type system so far its been shut down stopped or beleaguered and hasn't gone anywhere lol maybe its just a coincidental ha ha
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I read from a source that the statement only applies to systems for info mass storage, and may not necessarily applied to smartphones.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
possibly but the U.S. had a year long report from an intelligence committee and concluded there was a national security threat. I have to wonder if that's the sort of thing that will be resolved merely by talking and agreeing. It's not like China and Chinese companies don't steal intellectual property from U.S. companies. So i'd bet it's already in their head that there are threats coming from China. I don't think they mean threats like China is gonna invade. I use the term like, they'll steal a boat design or the newest technology for communication devices or blocking communication or something. regardless not looking too good.
Old 10/09/2012, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Couldn't it just be a case of US protectionism? "Might pose" is very vague and so far I'd be keen to see the actual proof so to say.

The UK seems to have a lot less problems and even secret/service intelligence is working together with Huawei in the UK, see also The Huawei dilemma: Should the UK be worried? | ZDNet and Huawei opens cybersecurity testing centre in UK | ZDNet
Old 10/09/2012, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Couldn't it just be a case of US protectionism? "Might pose" is very vague and so far I'd be keen to see the actual proof so to say.

The UK seems to have a lot less problems and even secret/service intelligence is working together with Huawei in the UK, see also The Huawei dilemma: Should the UK be worried? | ZDNet and Huawei opens cybersecurity testing centre in UK | ZDNet
no offense but that's the UK. I'd guess there are a lot more companies interested in espionage against U.S. companies or the U.S then against the U.K. The U.S. has a massive military industrial complex. Not to mention all the companies that make technical equipment for military and government like Motorola and General Electric and i'm sure plenty i don't know about.

could it be protectionism? Sure. But if anyone has paid attention to the world of counterfeiting, industrial espionage, copyright and patent infringement they'd know that the Chinese companies have been engaged in such activities against U.S. companies for a while. So it's not implausible.

But as for where the truth lies. I can't know unless i read the report and decide. And i don't know if it's public and it's not important enough to me to do it anyways. Until last month i'd never heard of these two companies so i couldn't really care less about them either way.
Old 10/09/2012, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
has anyone noticed that anytime a company comes out with a webos type system so far its been shut down stopped or beleaguered and hasn't gone anywhere lol maybe its just a coincidental ha ha
just now
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 12:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

another "weapons of mass destruction" ruse, brought to us by the funny guys from american intelligence?
Just asking...
Old 10/10/2012, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
no offense but that's the UK. I'd guess there are a lot more companies interested in espionage against U.S. companies or the U.S then against the U.K. The U.S. has a massive military industrial complex. Not to mention all the companies that make technical equipment for military and government like Motorola and General Electric and i'm sure plenty i don't know about.
'No offense', but this must be the most nescient 'USA-is-the-best' comment I've read here in a long time.

Last edited by rwhitby; 10/10/2012 at 03:58 PM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Buddy1969, T-Pad
Old 10/10/2012, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

i assumed that only applied to phonecalls and not data? and didnt the usa try altering/implimenting data/computer backdoor tricks back with their not too popular clipper chip idea, which if i also remember was only useable within the usa and not outside, limiting its usefulness?
Old 10/10/2012, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i assumed that only applied to phonecalls and not data? and didnt the usa try altering/implimenting data/computer backdoor tricks back with their not too popular clipper chip idea, which if i also remember was only useable within the usa and not outside, limiting its usefulness?
If you think that the NSA does not have access to every single bit of data that travels over the Internet from a computer in the US (and lots of other places too), then you have a very misguided trust in your government.

-- Rod
Liked by Buddy1969, dignitary and kevets like this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 10/10/2012, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm eager to see how US government is planning to resolve this situation. Obviously those guys haven't checked labels on their equipment for some time, or they think that made in PRC stands made in Portland ciity or something. I mean, for a decade all tech manufacturing was shifted to Asia, its really strange they are now trumping about espionage.
Old 10/10/2012, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Come on HTC, strike a deal and clone the P1 for the US!

This open source thing might be the thing to make me leave cdma after having it the past 10 years...

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 09:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
'No offense', but this must be the most nescient 'USA-is-the-best' comment I've read here in a long time.
Don't worry. I'm not offended. But sorry the truth hurts. USA is the best. lol.

Seriously though. They spent a year, evaluating information and issued reports And everyone here has done no investigation, issued no reports and many are not American. I can say this. I trust the NSA to protect the national security interests of the United States and I don't trust a bunch of people on a forum that have no national security experience or responsibility and/or are not are not U.S. citizens with an interest in protecting the United States. For example, i'm not German, If there's a German security issue my opinion is not one to care about. I simply don't care about imports from some Chinese company I've barely heard of. Ban em. better safe then sorry. I'll sleep fine. When it comes to people on the internet and people at the NSA i'm gonna go with the guys that get paid to do National Security.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 10/10/2012 at 10:10 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 10:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
lol indeed.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Old 10/11/2012, 12:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:

I simply don't care about imports from some Chinese company I've barely heard of. Ban em. better safe then sorry. I'll sleep fine.
[offtopic]
well perhaps you should get familiar with China, cause your oh so best country is POWNED by China:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt#Foreign_holdings
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 12:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
lol indeed.

-- Rod
Well. He didn't say the best "what"...
The best in showbiz ... well yes, that I can subscribe to...

No honestly, I have relatives in the US and have been there twice. The US is better than their reputation. But it's not as good as some people think.
The truth is, as always, in the middle. And tastes are different anyways.
As any other country, the US are ruled by people and people are always prone to errors. Nobody is perfect and power corrupts. In this, no country is different from any other one.
Some countries establish control mechanisms to give the impression of savety and responsible use of power. But those mechanisms are governed by people again. And who controls the controllers?

One thing we all shouldn't forget is, that europe would be a much different place without the US.
And (to pry the thread back to topic) WebOS wouldn't be what it is (was), without american companies like Palm and HP in the good AND the bad sence.

When it comes to WebOS, my motto is "in Rod we trust" (Rod standing for WOI and WebOSPorts here).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0