webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Whitman: No new HP smartphone coming in 2013
Whitman: No new HP smartphone coming in 2013
Like Tree23Likes

Old 10/04/2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Here's the link:

Whitman: No new HP smartphone coming in 2013 | ZDNet

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/04/2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: fixed link
deleon469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleon469 View Post
Wouldn't surprise to hear those words from an incompetent HP CEO, its sad that the company doesn't realizes that they need to get into the mobile phone market and that PC sales won't be enough to save the company for falling into more failures in the stock market. Again, it proves company like HP haven't learned anything.....
Old 10/04/2012, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

There is no doubt Whitman has advicers that has pointed out the latest martket trends to her.

Just curious, does Dell make mobile phones?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Dell used to..... I think they shut their division down too though
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I still remember dell peddling their MP3 player and MusicMatch Jukebox back in 2004. I wonder what became of that.

Speaking of MP3 players, what if HP continued to carry iPods, and extended their line to iPod touch and iPod nano? I don't believe they'd be making a lot of money, or would Apple continue their partnership, but maybe instead of using webOS phones we'd all be using iPhones. That is if they purchased Palm and dropped webOS like they did now. Of course, they won't buy Palm at all if they're still an Apple partner. Yes, this is full of holes. But just consider what if?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

lol you lost me on that one, could be because I'm super sleepy today.

Hey, just a thought.... adding "trimming my sig, because it's too long" to your sig makes it longer.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 10/04/2012, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Hey, just a thought.... adding "trimming my sig, because it's too long" to your sig makes it longer.
Well, it's shorter than what it used to be (or maybe the same size, I don't know). I've already minimized as much as I can. The next thing would be to start using URL shortening services.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/04/2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, they did. Their last effort was the Venue Pro on Windows Phone 7. Perfect candidate for Open webOS. 4" AMOLED screen w/ Gorilla glass, portrait slider kb, 5MP shooter w/ AF. I'm making myself miserable again.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Thanked by OldSkoolVWLover, Rnp
Old 10/04/2012, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Well, it's shorter than what it used to be (or maybe the same size, I don't know). I've already minimized as much as I can. The next thing would be to start using URL shortening services.
lol just joking with you
Old 10/05/2012, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Analysts know since 5 years that the hardwaremarket is going increasingly mobile.
HP just realized that? What does that tell us...

I don't put any money on that company any more (and it looks as more and more of the shareholders are jumping ship as well). I rather donate a bit more to WOI. That's money well spent
Old 10/05/2012, 12:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Wouldn't surprise to hear those words from an incompetent HP CEO, its sad that the company doesn't realizes that they need to get into the mobile phone market and that PC sales won't be enough to save the company for falling into more failures in the stock market. Again, it proves company like HP haven't learned anything.....
I think they "want" to be in the mobile phone market but at a profit. I think HP faces the same problem as many other computer hardware makers like Acer, Dell, LG. They would like to be in the mobile space but there's a difference between merely having a product in the space and having a line of products that sells well and can sustain itself.

Nokia, Blackberry, LG, Sanyo are all in the mobile space but they aren't exactly making money doing it.

Quote:
That is sort of an example of my point. All those companies are facing declining pc revenue, for a myriad of reasons, economy, phones, tablets, apple. And they all see apple's profits in tablets, phones, ipods (cause their computers just sell ok) and want the profits. But i think they are all finding out that it's not enough to simply release a phone or a tablet and hope you get big profits. Rather you need to release something that appeals to enough consumers to make enough profits to make it worthwhile. I think that's why you see so many people bailing out of phones and tablets or scaling back or generally reassessing their strategy.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 10/05/2012 at 01:28 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 01:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
cgk

Right, moving into the mobile sector is likely to be no more successful for HP than it has anyone else - why that is held up as a solution for the company is beyond me..
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 05:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
cgk

Speaking of saviours - people are still talking on the front-page about Phoenix International - Did they ever turn out to be anything serious or just more jokers?
Old 10/05/2012, 05:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

All I am aware of are nice poems on twitter and posting WebOSPorts' sucesses ...
Old 10/05/2012, 06:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Speaking of saviours - people are still talking on the front-page about Phoenix International - Did they ever turn out to be anything serious or just more jokers?
Apparently they had a chat on IRC with WebOS Ports. Haven't checked the logs, but they hinted at a new device next year.

Just thinking, maybe PIC would be like the people doing OUYA, but not in a central office and not crowdsourced.
Old 10/05/2012, 07:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm just wandering if HP is letting the community do all the hard work . Working out the bugs and will at some point release a phone able to run webOS again. I've seen stranger things happen lol
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 07:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Apparently they had a chat on IRC with WebOS Ports. Haven't checked the logs, but they hinted at a new device next year.

Just thinking, maybe PIC would be like the people doing OUYA, but not in a central office and not crowdsourced.
My understanding (and it could be incorrect) is that OUYA involves experienced professionals, PIC from what we can gather is literally "some dudes" - I'm not convinced one is like the other.
Old 10/05/2012, 09:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
My understanding (and it could be incorrect) is that OUYA involves experienced professionals, PIC from what we can gather is literally "some dudes" - I'm not convinced one is like the other.
I'm hinting at the fact that at the beginning of OUYA's fundraising a lot of people had thought it was some sort of scam because there was a lack of full product renders, lack of confirmed games, and unknown direction with the dubious premises that Free-to-Play and open Android software would yield profits. They seemed to have gottern a few confirmed games now, so there's less doubt. The state of PIC is like the initial state of OUYA, but without any prototypes. Not sure what's going on, not sure who's running it. At least they haven't been asking us for money, but maybe that's an extra worry.
Old 10/05/2012, 05:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
I think they "want" to be in the mobile phone market but at a profit. I think HP faces the same problem as many other computer hardware makers like Acer, Dell, LG. They would like to be in the mobile space but there's a difference between merely having a product in the space and having a line of products that sells well and can sustain itself.

Nokia, Blackberry, LG, Sanyo are all in the mobile space but they aren't exactly making money doing it.
Very true words indeed, but don't forget that HP could still make profits(not big but small) only if they willing to try the right way with the WebOS operating system. I don't want to pay a trip to a street down memory lane, occasionally we might have to do that here when talking about the HP many stupid/silly things they continue to do to this very day. HP looks to seek profits, but how is their plans moving on forward to accomplish this ?

Let's take a look at TouchPad release, it was catastrophic, horrible event ever performed by a company that was used to be known for its excellence in service and a computer devices like HP. TouchPad was overpriced, WebOS was filled with bugs that I'm sure it effected its sales, no music or video store, developers were even given enough time with the SDK nor HP created interest with developers. Then, you got a device like the Veer which was poorly executed and too small for a market that got used to seeing many phones with a display that measured 4 to 5 inches. And forget the Palm Pre 3 which was never officially released, so HP can not compare or say that getting into the smartphones market was risky....because the potential of that device sadly enough can't be said.

So obviously, if these things are not even corrected properly before releasing any kind product whether it is a tablet or a phone, of course no profits could be made under those circumstances. However, if HP could done things properly I'm sure that to could have slowly seen profits there.
Old 10/05/2012, 06:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

It seems to me that it would be a relatively low to moderate risk endeavor for HP to come up with a Pre3a(?) running Open webOS. It would be an effort that would probably require a different cpu and some architecture changes and porting some basic apps. It would probably not be a profit maker initially, but would pave the way for the future, and it could certainly be done prior to 2014. There would be a potential for a couple thousand apps upon release with some developer encouragement. Come on Meg, you can, and should, do this.
pro2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0