Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just saw that webOS Ports released the first workable version of Open webOS and am going to be installing it later today when I get home. Anyone else going to or comments?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  2. #2  
    I thought it was just a proof of concept. And that not much works and it crashes often.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I thought it was just a proof of concept. And that not much works and it crashes often.
    The 6 hour after was a proof of concept but now they have a update that they have posted how to do. Not going to be using it really, just want to see webOS on my Galaxy Nexus.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  4. #4  
    Not sure if you saw this on twitter, but just a heads up before you take the time to do it...

    https://twitter.com/webosports/statu...86161670516737

    If you still go through with it, please keep us up to date.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,372 Global Posts
    #5  
    Cool - any videos up yet?
  6.    #6  
    ah, I'm not sure if this is actually going to be working on my CDMA galaxy nexus. The documentation they have only really mentions the GSM version. So I guess I won't be, at least for a little while.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7. #7  
    are they making calls yet? Been eyeing the galaxy nexus on verizon lately. Its down to 99 bucks which is my sweet spot.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    are they making calls yet? Been eyeing the galaxy nexus on verizon lately. Its down to 99 bucks which is my sweet spot.
    LOL I wanna see if they can get it on the Note.... I would consider buying one like an insane person.... but it will never happen.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL I wanna see if they can get it on the Note.... I would consider buying one like an insane person.... but it will never happen.
    If you buy a note what happens when you get a phone call?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    If you buy a note what happens when you get a phone call?
    You just hide your face behind it
    SCNR
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  11. #11  
    This doesn't seem a technical thread, but I haven't found any other about the subject. There's amazing documentation on how OpenWebOS it getting inside the recent Samsung Galaxy Nexus (the "open source" version of the Galaxy S3, a recent cellphone monstrosity), and it's a fascinating read:

    Galaxy Nexus Hardware Overview - WebOS-Ports

    I'm shocked that there actually exist pieces of software for almost everything: The cell and Wi-Fi radios, bluetooth, GPS, even for the PowerVR SGX540 video chip. So indeed, it can be done!

    It's a pity there's not a new video with the current "pre-Alpha" acceleraton, and the only sight of OpenWebOS on this phone shows a very dissapointing, extremely slow performance. Please OpenWebOS people, let your hard work shine out there in the intertubes!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

    Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  12. #12  
    So...just to clarify the samsung model. The Galaxy Nexus is = to Samsungs Galaxy S3? (is there any difference in hardware, or the possibility the boot loader in the S3 is locked?
    Is there any difference in the S3 and say the S II, crap..there are so many samsung variants.. (boggles my mind) on which model that this would be compatible with...
  13. #13  
    No the nexus and s3 are completly different phones.

    The Galaxy Nexus was released 2011, features a TI OMAP 4460 (dualcore) as main processor unit, as far as i know the drivers for almost all hardware components are opensource so this is why theWebOS Ports crew selected this phone. Its stil quite powerfull, not as much as the latest quadcore phones but its the fastest/newest thing available that makes sense to port a opensource OS to.

    The Galaxy S3 (released 2012) on the other hand uses a samsung designed SOC with a quadcore CPU, together with the cpu, gpu, all other hardware componets have closed source drivers, the bootloader is open, but thats about it. I doubt we will ever see anything else but android on this phone.

    The Google Nexus line of devices is the best choice for a port, or atleast devices that use the same hardware and have a open bootloader.
    Rnp and ohiomoto like this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    ah, I'm not sure if this is actually going to be working on my CDMA galaxy nexus. The documentation they have only really mentions the GSM version. So I guess I won't be, at least for a little while.
    Forget about Open webOS on a CDMA device. No drivers available for the radio.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post

    It's a pity there's not a new video with the current "pre-Alpha" acceleraton, and the only sight of OpenWebOS on this phone shows a very dissapointing, extremely slow performance. Please OpenWebOS people, let your hard work shine out there in the intertubes!
    On the other hand, that video encourages the right people to be engaging with this at the moment - people who will help to make it better. Cause it's nowhere near ready for people who just want to use a finished product.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. spcecil's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Forget about Open webOS on a CDMA device. No drivers available for the radio.

    -- Rod
    my heart sinks as I, unfortunately own the Verizon GNex
    ohiomoto likes this.
  17. d0u8l3m's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Forget about Open webOS on a CDMA device. No drivers available for the radio.

    -- Rod


    lol well on that note guess ill have to bid adeu to WebOS because there is no way im leaving Sprint maybe when i go to Germany next year there will be something out.


    Although if there isnt any CDMA drivers available then how is there AOSP for the sprint Nexus S is that just a specific radio or is the driver still closed.

    EDIT: does this help in any way shape or form?

    We've been able to resolve the issues around Nexus S 4G, and we can
    now properly distribute its CDMA and WiMAX binaries. That allows Nexus
    S 4G to work with AOSP just as well as Nexus S.
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

    Apparently its a Samsung made part

    CDMA, WiMAX Samsung Link e2d5a1039b30806a3a314dc47ce61d74 aa1eb74315e66d20c2e1e7345cddc8088152036e
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
    lol well on that note guess ill have to bid adeu to WebOS because there is no way im leaving Sprint maybe when i go to Germany next year there will be something out.


    Although if there isnt any CDMA drivers available then how is there AOSP for the sprint Nexus S is that just a specific radio or is the driver still closed.
    Google has a license from the chip set vendor to distribute an android driver. There is no webOS driver.

    -- Rod
  19. #19  
    is it possible to port the UI from webOS to android? so you don't have to port the drivers?

    Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
  20. d0u8l3m's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Google has a license from the chip set vendor to distribute an android driver. There is no webOS driver.

    -- Rod

    Sigh and im guessing the drivers used for the gsm phones are able to be modified or used without breaking the tos which i would assume to happen with the cdma drivers -___-
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions