webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Like Tree20Likes

Old 10/04/2012, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just saw that webOS Ports released the first workable version of Open webOS and am going to be installing it later today when I get home. Anyone else going to or comments?
Old 10/04/2012, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I thought it was just a proof of concept. And that not much works and it crashes often.
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
I thought it was just a proof of concept. And that not much works and it crashes often.
The 6 hour after was a proof of concept but now they have a update that they have posted how to do. Not going to be using it really, just want to see webOS on my Galaxy Nexus.
Old 10/04/2012, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure if you saw this on twitter, but just a heads up before you take the time to do it...

https://twitter.com/webosports/statu...86161670516737

If you still go through with it, please keep us up to date.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
cgk

Cool - any videos up yet?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

ah, I'm not sure if this is actually going to be working on my CDMA galaxy nexus. The documentation they have only really mentions the GSM version. So I guess I won't be, at least for a little while.
Old 10/04/2012, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

are they making calls yet? Been eyeing the galaxy nexus on verizon lately. Its down to 99 bucks which is my sweet spot.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
are they making calls yet? Been eyeing the galaxy nexus on verizon lately. Its down to 99 bucks which is my sweet spot.
LOL I wanna see if they can get it on the Note.... I would consider buying one like an insane person.... but it will never happen.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
LOL I wanna see if they can get it on the Note.... I would consider buying one like an insane person.... but it will never happen.
If you buy a note what happens when you get a phone call?
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
If you buy a note what happens when you get a phone call?
You just hide your face behind it
SCNR
Old 10/05/2012, 02:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

This doesn't seem a technical thread, but I haven't found any other about the subject. There's amazing documentation on how OpenWebOS it getting inside the recent Samsung Galaxy Nexus (the "open source" version of the Galaxy S3, a recent cellphone monstrosity), and it's a fascinating read:

Galaxy Nexus Hardware Overview - WebOS-Ports

I'm shocked that there actually exist pieces of software for almost everything: The cell and Wi-Fi radios, bluetooth, GPS, even for the PowerVR SGX540 video chip. So indeed, it can be done!

It's a pity there's not a new video with the current "pre-Alpha" acceleraton, and the only sight of OpenWebOS on this phone shows a very dissapointing, extremely slow performance. Please OpenWebOS people, let your hard work shine out there in the intertubes!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 03:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

So...just to clarify the samsung model. The Galaxy Nexus is = to Samsungs Galaxy S3? (is there any difference in hardware, or the possibility the boot loader in the S3 is locked?
Is there any difference in the S3 and say the S II, crap..there are so many samsung variants.. (boggles my mind) on which model that this would be compatible with...
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 04:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

No the nexus and s3 are completly different phones.

The Galaxy Nexus was released 2011, features a TI OMAP 4460 (dualcore) as main processor unit, as far as i know the drivers for almost all hardware components are opensource so this is why theWebOS Ports crew selected this phone. Its stil quite powerfull, not as much as the latest quadcore phones but its the fastest/newest thing available that makes sense to port a opensource OS to.

The Galaxy S3 (released 2012) on the other hand uses a samsung designed SOC with a quadcore CPU, together with the cpu, gpu, all other hardware componets have closed source drivers, the bootloader is open, but thats about it. I doubt we will ever see anything else but android on this phone.

The Google Nexus line of devices is the best choice for a port, or atleast devices that use the same hardware and have a open bootloader.
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and ohiomoto like this.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 10/05/2012, 05:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
ah, I'm not sure if this is actually going to be working on my CDMA galaxy nexus. The documentation they have only really mentions the GSM version. So I guess I won't be, at least for a little while.
Forget about Open webOS on a CDMA device. No drivers available for the radio.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 05:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post

It's a pity there's not a new video with the current "pre-Alpha" acceleraton, and the only sight of OpenWebOS on this phone shows a very dissapointing, extremely slow performance. Please OpenWebOS people, let your hard work shine out there in the intertubes!
On the other hand, that video encourages the right people to be engaging with this at the moment - people who will help to make it better. Cause it's nowhere near ready for people who just want to use a finished product.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Liked by Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover, hunland and 2 others like this.
Thanked by jcmarcos, Rnp
Old 10/05/2012, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
my heart sinks as I, unfortunately own the Verizon GNex
spcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ohiomoto likes this.
Old 10/05/2012, 09:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod

lol well on that note guess ill have to bid adeu to WebOS because there is no way im leaving Sprint maybe when i go to Germany next year there will be something out.

Although if there isnt any CDMA drivers available then how is there AOSP for the sprint Nexus S is that just a specific radio or is the driver still closed.

EDIT: does this help in any way shape or form?

Quote:
We've been able to resolve the issues around Nexus S 4G, and we can
now properly distribute its CDMA and WiMAX binaries. That allows Nexus
S 4G to work with AOSP just as well as Nexus S.
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

Apparently its a Samsung made part

CDMA, WiMAX Samsung Link e2d5a1039b30806a3a314dc47ce61d74 aa1eb74315e66d20c2e1e7345cddc8088152036e
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 09:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
lol well on that note guess ill have to bid adeu to WebOS because there is no way im leaving Sprint maybe when i go to Germany next year there will be something out.

Although if there isnt any CDMA drivers available then how is there AOSP for the sprint Nexus S is that just a specific radio or is the driver still closed.
Google has a license from the chip set vendor to distribute an android driver. There is no webOS driver.

-- Rod
Old 10/05/2012, 09:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

is it possible to port the UI from webOS to android? so you don't have to port the drivers?

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
siggi_digital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 09:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Google has a license from the chip set vendor to distribute an android driver. There is no webOS driver.

-- Rod

Sigh and im guessing the drivers used for the gsm phones are able to be modified or used without breaking the tos which i would assume to happen with the cdma drivers -___-
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0